Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st August 2016, 11:23   #1
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Default Bought a cheap polisher.

It seems that I may have bought the wrong type/size but it will do for having a go. Picked up a used MVP Superline 10" random orbit machine for £10 off Gumtree. OK it was a 28 mile drive to collect but we had a pleasent drive out yesterday evening with A/C running and Mother enjoyed it so that it all that mattered really.

Anyway both the MGF 75th Anniversary and the CDT had very swirl marked paint so will have a go at improving it. Have ordered a pack of bonnets as it only had a wool one with it and once have done what I want will stick th machine on the table at a boot fair and see if I can get me tenner back .

Once we move will see about getting a better more suitable machine and pads to complete the work.

I did clay both cars the CDT the other week although still have to clay the roof of the CDT just need to get some suitable polish.
Old 1st September 2016, 14:42   #2
aguy

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Seems something like a DAS 6 is the best starter for removing swirls.Anything less doesn't seem to work. Trouble is they are far more expensive.

I don't do machine polishing anymore as I have arthritis in the old bones and find it far too hard these days.

Some good deals are usually to be had at cleanyourcar.co.uk ..HERE..
Old 1st September 2016, 15:02   #3
Plezier

Cheers even though we are awaitign delivery of the other bonnets I tried out the syn wool one with a bit of polish and it has helped the look. With proper polish compond I expect it would be even better.

When we move we will need a different type altogether but that can wait.
Old 1st September 2016, 17:16   #4
aguy

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plezier View Post
Cheers even though we are awaitign delivery of the other bonnets I tried out the syn wool one with a bit of polish and it has helped the look. With proper polish compond I expect it would be even better.

It will certainly help the look. it depends on how far you want to go and what finish you are after. The cheaper range of polishers have their limitations and you can never get the best results though.

Just claying and maybe using an Iron out type product will get the surface really clean then you can go to town with whatever sealant or wax you like.
There's a minefield of products out there.
Have fun, I still love to spend hours on the finish of my car even though I have my own limitations these days.
Old 1st September 2016, 21:06   #5
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plezier View Post

Be careful using a wool bonnet, they will "cut" much deeper than the microfibre type, I bought one of these and I've had quite good results on our car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271802305862

YouTube and a scrap panel are your friends for finding out how to polish cars correctly
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:09   #6
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

I had one of these before upgrading. I would not use a cutting compound with it as it will not finish the compound down properly and will leave marring. I had good results with a filler heavy polish when using mine with the microfiber bonnet. Autoglym super resin polish would be the best bet.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:21   #7
Plezier

Thank you....................... I am looking to improve the finish by reducing the swirls. I doubt I can remove them all as some are really bad. Not to mention the very poor touch up with some sort of paint pen. Once I get back from the trip down south I will have a go on an old MGF bonnet with the new bonnets and different polish ......................... type/make as yet undecided.
Old 21st February 2017, 10:31   #8
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

Im thinking of getting a da machine polisher like a dodo juice machine or das6 and using maguires ultimate compound to reduce swirl marks. Should a machine polisher only be used on the metal panels or is it also safe on bumpers? Or just not much point using on bumpers?
Cheers
Phill
Phill_190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 12:10   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill_190 View Post
Im thinking of getting a da machine polisher like a dodo juice machine or das6 and using maguires ultimate compound to reduce swirl marks. Should a machine polisher only be used on the metal panels or is it also safe on bumpers? Or just not much point using on bumpers?
Cheers
Phill
Have a look at this polisher if you are looking at those two. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272319796694

From what I read prior to getting it, people were comparing it to the das 6 . it is quite noisy but then the 6 is too apparently.

This is my first polisher and have only used it once, but seems quite good. It was too cold to work with it properly so haven't had a chance to give it a work out yet.

I did buy quite a few pads to experiment with, I will try to post a link soon. The hex pads I bought feel the same as the hex logic ones but at a third of the price.

Item number is 151760232860 the seller also sells other sizes and styles. All seem decent, but they did take 2 weeks to arrive.

sent from my ZT

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 21st February 2017 at 12:13..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 08:45   #10
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

always used farecla products,just be carefull what ever you use once the polish/compound looks to be drying out/solidifying stop as that is when you will do more harm than good.
best way to polish is in the words of karate kid wipe on wipe of (by hand) don,t be so lazy.
philm is offline   Reply With Quote