Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th January 2017, 20:32   #11
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Never use consumer grade equipment in an industrial setting... As usual BT manages to charge treble for such equipment by creating an easily understood package for the non-technical.
Isn't that exactly what business is about - recognising opportunity, innovatng and selling in order to recoup the cost of the innovation as well as making a profit?

Who sells the same functonality for £100?

I am aware of two people who have purchsed this kit and they say it has made a huge difference.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 21:06   #12
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

I'm no fan boy of BT, but we have fibre broadband here in Lincoln and the Wifi has been brilliant so far.
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 21:54   #13
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Must hold my hand up and apologise to B.T. took Dallas advice used win 10 edge,no problem all evening.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 00:18   #14
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Isn't that exactly what business is about - recognising opportunity, innovatng and selling in order to recoup the cost of the innovation as well as making a profit?

Who sells the same functonality for £100?

I am aware of two people who have purchsed this kit and they say it has made a huge difference.
1 x Broadband Router with WiFi approx £70
2 x Wifi repeaters approx £15 each.

And those are retail prices...

Of course you are quite right: business exists to make money - something BT have just fallen down on Bigtime judging by tonights news

Of course you can actually get the Broadband router with WiFi for free with most contracts only leaving the repeaters to buy: you could even get a couple of reasonable quality ones for £50 each.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 07:19   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
1 x Broadband Router with WiFi approx £70
2 x Wifi repeaters approx £15 each.

And those are retail prices...

Of course you are quite right: business exists to make money - something BT have just fallen down on Bigtime judging by tonights news

Of course you can actually get the Broadband router with WiFi for free with most contracts only leaving the repeaters to buy: you could even get a couple of reasonable quality ones for £50 each.
Many mid-end consumer/small-business routers cost around £200. There are also routers that cost £300+. I do not believe it is reasonable to compare this product with the cheapest unless it is based on a knowledge of how much it has cost to develop the product.

Quote:

Totally irrelevant to the subject matter and perhaps highlights someone
with a dislike of BT. Feels a bit like MGR bashing that was so popular at one time. We know how to support our busienesses that provide jobs to tens of thousands!
Old 25th January 2017, 08:59   #16
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Many mid-end consumer/small-business routers cost around £200. There are also routers that cost £300+. I do not believe it is reasonable to compare this product with the cheapest unless it is based on a knowledge of how much it has cost to develop the product.
Mid-end and smb routers may cost that much - however the standard offering from BT doesn't. I just thought my post might show a cheaper (than the posted BT equipment) method of attaining the same goal.

Quote:
Totally irrelevant to the subject matter and perhaps highlights someone
with a dislike of BT. Feels a bit like MGR bashing that was so popular at one time. We know how to support our busienesses that provide jobs to tens of thousands!
I quite like BT as a service provider, they supply a valuable communications network within the UK on which many other 'providers' piggyback their services. The news of their current financial problems is topical. Although you are also correct it doesn't have direct bearing on the OP. However it is typical that for equipment to home customers they do tend to charge 2 - 3 times the market price for the level of devices they sell. They aren't bad devices by a long mark: but neither are they (usually) of a value matching the price BT would like to sell them to your for.

P.S never bashed MGR either - only MG when it used to be MG Vs Triumph back in the 70s..... and then it was only friendly rivalry and a laugh (by both sides).

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 25th January 2017, 09:12   #17
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

For anyone that is thinking of buying the BT Whole Home WiFi System, you dont have to be a BT customer for it to work on your home network etc. The 3 dish unit is compatible with all home broadband providers, so you can be a TalkTalk, Virgin, EE customer and the system will still work.

If anyone wants to solve any Wifi dead spots in their home or business, it would be sensible to try a Wifi Expander first. These units start from just £15 and will normally solve the problem for many, save you spending £300.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 20:32   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon;2436743

However it is typical that for equipment to home customers they do tend to charge 2 - 3 times the market price for the level of devices they sell. They aren't bad devices by a long mark: but neither are they (usually) of a value matching the price BT would like to sell them to your for.[/B
In my opinion, what you say is actually not the case.

It appears reviewers also do not agree with your point of view - look at the ratings and prices!

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-cent...17-uk-3217482/

http://www.alphr.com/bt/1003795/bt-s...outer-bar-none

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/mo...eview-3643011/

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/wi...outer-3489762/

Last edited by MSS; 25th January 2017 at 21:06..
Old 25th January 2017, 23:42   #19
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
In my opinion, what you say is actually not the case.

It appears reviewers also do not agree with your point of view - look at the ratings and prices!

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-cent...17-uk-3217482/

http://www.alphr.com/bt/1003795/bt-s...outer-bar-none

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/mo...eview-3643011/

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/wi...outer-3489762/
So BT Home Hubs are good for their price (usually free or subsidised cost): fair enough, they aren't the worst (as I said). Take a look at the full range of comms equipment that BT actually sells (e.g. the aforementioned kit to make the WiFi work across a difficult building) and the consider the £55 - £75 cost for a home hub and then wonder where a figure of £300 comes from for (effectively) a hub and two repeaters.

I currently have PN version the of the Home Hub unit. It's quite basic and has very few useful features beyond the absolute basics, but does perform well enough in what it does do. However if I was spending over £70 on a Broadband router & WiFi I'd expect a lot richer feature set. (I got this one for free from PN) and am considering an upgrade to provide the features I want in a broadband router solution.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 26th January 2017, 07:12   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
So BT Home Hubs are good for their price (usually free or subsidised cost): fair enough, they aren't the worst (as I said).
So, having stated that BT usually charges 2-3 times what a piece of equipment should cost, you now say that the Home Hub is "good for the price"

Quote:

I currently have PN version the of the Home Hub unit. It's quite basic and has very few useful features beyond the absolute basics, but does perform well enough in what it does do. However if I was spending over £70 on a Broadband router & WiFi I'd expect a lot richer feature set. (I got this one for free from PN) and am considering an upgrade to provide the features I want in a broadband router solution.
Actually, if you read the one of the reviews above, the headline is "BT Smart Hub review: The best ISP-supplied router bar none

"

It is the only router to get 5* out of all the routers costing up to £200.

These ISP routers are designed to provide the features required by 99.9% of the public and the BT one provides excellent performance, build quality etc. as well. It is the performance that is relevant to 99.9% of the consumer market, not complex WAN onfigurations etc.

If you need more features, spend circa £300 and buy yourself a Drayek Vigor or £1k and buy a CISCO.

The fact that you use a BT Hub, despite the above views, says it all really.

Last edited by MSS; 26th January 2017 at 07:14..