Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th February 2017, 07:40   #11
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

That really isn't good at all to be rusting on a reasonably newish car. I wonder if behind the sound deadening if it's primed or painted or just bare metal?

I read recently the boot lid on early models is a rust zone really not what you'd expect from a executive manufacturer.

I'd take it up with jaguar and see what they say although it's outwith warranty corrosion doesn't happen over night.

I must admit these were on my list as a replacement for my zt but now I'm not so sure.
Old 27th February 2017, 09:23   #12
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Assuming Jaguar are not interested, I think if it were mine, I'd very carefully warm one corner of the sound deadening pad (hair dryer or heat gun - don't get it too hot though) then gently ease part of the pad away from the outer skin.

You'll then be able to look underneath and see whether the lumps are actually due to rust, or simply bubbles in the bitumen pad.

Looks like the paint finish may have been a little thin in places, but if treated now, I can't see it being a long term problem.

Still disappointing on a car of this price & quality.

PS - the rubbers along the top of the door are never meant to be 100% watertight, rain will always get inside a door cavity, hence why they have a plastic drip membrane, wax injection and drain holes in the base.

Last edited by Sonic ZS; 27th February 2017 at 09:26..
Sonic ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 10:04   #13
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Doesn't look to be much wax in there.
Old 27th February 2017, 13:56   #14
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Thanks for all your comments guys, more than I'm getting over on the Jag forum.

I'm just about to remove the door panel on the ther side to inspect both the window mechanism and the sound pad.

Doors are designed to allow some water into them and have drain holes at the bottom. The much maligned build quality of the SD1 is superior to the Jaguar XF.
When I re skinned my Vitesse doors simply because they had minimal rust at the bottom the sound deadening panels were intact. I actually removed one of them to give me a metal panel to use as part of my new boot floor to allow me to fit the duplex exhaust.
Once I've got some more photos and measurements I will be writing again to Jaguar but quite frankly I don't give much hope of any result.

It will be one more nail in the coffin so to speak for this XF.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 15:14   #15
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

I really feel for you Jim.
It makes me wonder if this is an isolated problem or one that could rear it's ugly head.
My Doctor friend had catastrophic auto gearbox failure 3 months out of warranty and Jaguar refused point blank to give him any help. a year later there was an ECU problem, the car was totally immobilised, I don't know the ins and outs of the problem but his bill for that Job was just over £2500, that coupled to the gearbox issue and a brake fault he was up at nearly £7000 in repairs alone plus servicing, I believe he was doing around 22,000 miles a year.
Old 27th February 2017, 17:25   #16
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Update on this afternoons findings

I'm posting this on the 75 forum before the Jaguar forum as quite frankly I would like to show my strong allegiance to Rover.

As I posted earlier I was going to check the passengers side door for internal corrosion. Well I've done that and my findings are really shocking.

The passengers side shows exactly the same corrosion at the sound pad. I then marked off the dimensions of the pad using masking tape i.e. Width & Height so as to allow me to look at the outside paintwork looking at the masking tape for reference.
You guessed the paint blisters line up perfectly with the pad on the inside.
I then paid a visit with the car to a local well known body shop and the end result is that I will require two new front doors so they are sending me an estimate in the post.
Now back home I took some photos and video of the offending pads and pulled at one corner of the pad inside the near side door and it lifted fairly easily.

I decided to go for it so I got the heat gun out and all plugged in ready to apply some heat to the pad.

No this wasn't necessary as when I placed a 3" wide paint scraper I removed the entire pad within 30 seconds. This revealed the true extent of the rust inside the door as it was completely covered in brown rust and the pad itself not only was it soaking wet it also was covered in rust.

On a roll now I removed the nearside rear door panel and plastic inside trim to reveal the pad inside. Although it did not show clear signs of rust I don't think it would be too long until it did as it also was soaking wet.
Being a bit more tight in the space it took me all of 150 seconds to remove the pad in a oner just like the front pad.
Finally I removed the drivers door panel again and removed the pad in 30 seconds. The drivers door pad shows more signs of rust and this was the first for I had noticed the paint blistering on just over a year ago.
Back inside and barely able to hold it together I telephone Jaguar Customer Services.

Yeah well after holding and being told my call would be taken within five minutes, almost fifteen minutes later I was asked to leave a message for Jaguar to get back to me.

I will wait with anticipation of being told there's nothing they can do.

Hopefully this photo will show up but if not I will try again, well it looks like it uploaded. From top to bottom shows the pad from, O/S front, N/S front and N/S rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0040.jpg (135.7 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Jim Jamieson; 27th February 2017 at 17:28..
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 17:38   #17
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Oh dear that really isn't good & I don't imagine new doors will come cheap.
Are new skins available? Although I doubt if they'll be much difference in price as labour time will be higher.

Definitely not what you'd expect from a premium manufacturer & to be honest I'm probably totally put off them now, I knew the boot on early models was an issue but doors corroding from the inside out really shouldn't be happening on a young car.

I've been looking at letting my zt go but thinking I might look for another as any other forum I'm on when you ask anything your lucky to get an answer.

I hope that Jaguar do something to rectify the issue, corrosion doesn't happen overnight & the sound deadening shouldn't be holding water like a sponge so surely a manufacturing fault.
Old 27th February 2017, 18:56   #18
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post

Definitely not what you'd expect from a premium manufacturer & to be honest I'm probably totally put off them now, I knew the boot on early models was an issue but doors corroding from the inside out really shouldn't be happening on a young car.
In all my years of motoring I have never seen this type of corrosion around a sound deadening pad......... that includes cars like Skoda Estelles and other so called rusters. Something is seriously wrong with this car to be like that.
Do you know any of its history Jim from previous owners Jim, is it's a coastal car etc??
Old 27th February 2017, 19:09   #19
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I've seen this in the past but I'm unsure what the cause was as the pad shouldn't absorb water and retain it against the door. Why do you need two doors Jim? Can the body shop not bare metal yours and treat?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 19:25   #20
Lynyrd Skynner
Regional Secretary: South Central

None at the moment

Go down to your local Jag steeler door cards off and take the sound pads do it on a saturday when there is more likely to be more people looking to buy a new Jag and really politely kick off you might be surprised how quickly they look after you .....