Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th February 2017, 19:35   #21
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Any sound deadening pads I've seen are bitumen based, this material cannot absorb water and act like a sponge.
So what is the pads made from in the Jag? Again I have to ask is why has the inner door area not been given even a light spray of wax from the factory, on an expensive car this is penny pinching.
TBH I am more than concerned about the paint or lack of inside the doors, is this also an issue in other hidden areas?
Time to wield the big stick at Jaguar. Take lots of pictures and make sure you have a copy.
Old 27th February 2017, 19:49   #22
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynyrd Skynner View Post
Go down to your local Jag steeler door cards off and take the sound pads do it on a saturday when there is more likely to be more people looking to buy a new Jag and really politely kick off you might be surprised how quickly they look after you .....
I've already got something planned re my MOT complaint at the opening of their plush new JLR premises currently under construction.

Watch this space but this corrosion saga really is the limit.
If I could really afford it the car would be traded tomorrow but the value on it now with these doors will be below bottom book.

I may just have to run it into the ground, one thing is sure there will be no more Jaguars
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 19:52   #23
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I know you are meticulous Jim, is there any other corrosion issues?
Old 27th February 2017, 19:56   #24
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I've seen this in the past but I'm unsure what the cause was as the pad shouldn't absorb water and retain it against the door. Why do you need two doors Jim? Can the body shop not bare metal yours and treat?
The time taken to strip the doors would probably be inhibitive plus at this time I'm not sure I want to go to this expense, even getting two doors from a scrappy would be expensive nowadays.

I reckon the estimate coming in will not be much short of 2k. We will see just how short I am when the postie arrives.
Old 27th February 2017, 20:03   #25
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I know you are meticulous Jim, is there any other corrosion issues?
There is a very small blister where the front wing meets the bumper.
I've even checked the boot lid area as it's a known problem area but it seems fine.
Bear in mind this car had only 25k when I purchased it from Lancaster Jaguar just over two years ago. It really looked and drove like a new car.
It still drives well but with the experience of being ripped off from my last MOT then the window failure which I'm still awaiting parts and now this corrosion it really sucks and simply should not have happened.

My previous experience with Jaguar Customer Services Was not good so I don't expect much from them on this corrosion.
Old 27th February 2017, 20:46   #26
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

I feel for you mate that is not good.

I have owned Jags in the past snd even restored one. I wouldnt touch them with a barge poll after the two I owned snd seeing pictures of X types disappearing in front of owners eyes. There is no excuse for this nowaday with the technologies out there

All thr above is the reason I went for a merc C class AMG spec instead of a Jag to replace our R75.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=257336

I still have the Zed for fun though. It will be interesting to see what tata(oops sorry) Jag say

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888

Last edited by jonc3725; 27th February 2017 at 20:55..
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 22:09   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
There is a very small blister where the front wing meets the bumper.
I've even checked the boot lid area as it's a known problem area but it seems fine.
Bear in mind this car had only 25k when I purchased it from Lancaster Jaguar just over two years ago. It really looked and drove like a new car.
It still drives well but with the experience of being ripped off from my last MOT then the window failure which I'm still awaiting parts and now this corrosion it really sucks and simply should not have happened.

My previous experience with Jaguar Customer Services Was not good so I don't expect much from them on this corrosion.
I dont know if you have come across THESE GUYS, I never bought anything from them, but did get good service in the form of advice and a rapid response to a query I had. (I didnt buy, because the car was shifted on not long after I made my enquiry lol). The link should take you to an XF door. Maybe they will be a less expensive solution should you need to go down that route.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 22:59   #28
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

My Austin Allegro doesn't have this problem. It is 40 years old.

Not good enough for any manufacturer, let alone a premium one.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 08:04   #29
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

I have to say that whilst I'm a fan of the marque, after Googling Jaguars anti-corrosion warranty, for them to only offer a 6 year corrosion warranty for what's supposed to be a "Premium" brand, is quite poor and would expect to have at least double that. Suppose it boils down to the old "Caveat Emptor".
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 09:11   #30
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Thanks for posting your experiences with your XF and jaguar "customer service" Jim, not least because I was actively looking at them as a replacement for my 114bhp Tourer.

As a result of you flagging up your rust and service problems I'll be treating my Tourer to a remap to 160 and a little more TLC.

When I do buy a replacement (and I'll be keeping the 75 in the workshop) it will probably be a Merc E or a Lexus. I've had both in the past and the service from the Lexus dealers is fantastic.

A genuine thank you to Jim. I suspect he has saved a lot of us a lot of pain and frustration. And I hope you get your sorted Jim.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote