Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd March 2017, 14:53   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Snooper 4Zero GPS & Radar/Laser Detector

Does anyone have a snooper 4zero GPS & Radar/Laser detector or anything similar? What's your review on it, are they any good? From reading up on them, it seems you can subscribe to an online database that lists all the fixed camera locations which is handy, and it says this device can also detect hand held and temporary speed traps? Does it actually do this?

For £150 and then £30 annual subscription it seems like a good deal.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:05   #2
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Or you could save yourself £150, an annual subscription charge and any potential fines if it goes wrong by not speeding. Simples.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:57   #3
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Would be interesting to know Rick as I often have to travel to various towns etc I do not know and its very easy to get caught out on roads that change speed limits and unless your a familiar with the area its easy to get caught out.
Plus if you dont have a detector you will unknowingly speed and if you have one you naturally slow down precautionary.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:33   #4
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

For locations (as in GPS) you might as well just use the TomTom speed cameras app or similar.

For detection (radar etc) there's too many false positives - I had a Snooper S5R and it just wasn't useful.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:42   #5
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

I have a Snooper S2..I've had it a good few years and it has worked flawlessly( nearly).It comes in very handy whilst travelling on unfimiliar roads..The radar/ laser feature has gone off a few times where a traffic cop was pointing his speed gun at me. It also went off once ,and when i slowed right down ,the car behind flew past me of which i realised was an unmarked police car. I don't use it to purely to evade the law.Its there as a visual and audible aid to alert me of any speed cameras that i might of not noticed ( road signs ect ) that are in the immediate area. The fixed speed camera's are all stored on its data base and are tracked via the GPS in snooper..Come to think of it the only problems I've had with it was when i installed my dash cam. For some strange reason the snooper wouldn't lock onto any satellites and get a fix with the dash cam switched on.
Old 22nd March 2017, 20:31   #6
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

When I was still working and wizzing around the country I used to have a Road Angel with a second additional laser detector mounted on the front number plate. Quite a few times particularly on the M6 and M4 I got long range laser warnings of the spies on the overhead bridges as the system seemed quite sensitive. The fixed and mobile camera warnings were very useful too and saved me a few bob until one day near Carlisle I ignored a laser warning and lo and behold got a ticket! Nowadays I drive at a more relaxing pace so don't worry anymore

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 22:01   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

interesting I'll have to do some more research and get one of these gadgets along with a front and rear dash cam I've been meaning to fit for ages now. With the ridiculous new fines coming up soon I'll be fitting one of these detectors, only takes a second or two to drift over the limit at the wrong moment.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:24   #8
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

as said, for GPS (fixed cameras) you might as well use a phone/sat nav app.

for mobiles, laser detectors are pretty useless as by the time the detector detects the laser they've got you. There is little or no laser scatter (its a tight beam of light) for detectors to pick up unless its aimed directly at you by which its to late when it does.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham

Last edited by Mogodon; 23rd March 2017 at 10:27..
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 09:54   #9
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

First check on the legality of using one Rick.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 10:21   #10
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
First check on the legality of using one Rick.
Ken.
The use of detectors is perfectly legal in the UK (but not in France).

A detector is a receiver and does not require any licence or permission to use and the laser and radar signals are "publically available" - as they are projected from the side of the road.

What is not legal is the type that transmits to 'scramble' the return signal and cause a mis-reading of speed. Those are transmitters and transmission licences (except in a couple of bands) are tightly controlled

Although I have heard that if your garage opener is 'accidentally' left transmitting it will interfere with laser speed guns
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote