Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd March 2017, 00:43   #1
beededea
Regular poster

75 connie tourer, MGZT-T

Default replacing rear spring on tourer - won't fit!

I ordered a spring on ebay, gave colour code, received new. Have removed old spring, broken in two places, not too difficult to remove. However, new spring will NOT go in place regardless of how much I push the upper arm down, it is simply too long or needs a spring compressor.

The only how-to on youtube simply cuts out the part when he refits the spring, the crafty bu@@er...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW8mFEaRMv4

I do not see how I can refit the new spring even when standing on the hub so the arm is depressed fully, it will not move down far enough. I managed to get the spring under the lip of the body but to manouevre it over the rubber lug? Just impossible. I'm big, I'm strong and have tried everything for the last three hours.

Is a set of spring compressors the answer? Please let me know, it is late, the car is unusable and I'm whacked.
beededea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 08:09   #2
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Never had this problem before, which spring did you buy? and why are you only replacing one?
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 08:38   #3
kbonney88

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

I did mine yesterday using Brians method.. works a treat..

"Simply slacken slightly the 2 subframe bolts opposite side to the spring you're changing, and remove the 2 on the side you're changing the spring on, along with the bottom damper mount.

Once you done that, refit the subframe bolts to that side and remove the opposite side.

Once the new springs are fitted, torque up the subframe bolts to the specified torque and job done"

The subframe bolts are 15mm btw.. and I'd add to that to unship the brake flexi hose from the hub carrier to stop it being put under any stress..

works for me anyway...

Kev
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:03   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Dean
Did you or have you removed the two anti-roll bar nuts connected to ie drop links both sides ? (remove the drop link also ) if you do the then the anti- roll bar can be pushed down towards the floor and you should then gain the movement in upper arm which in turn should go down further, allowing you to insert the spring, as above these should be changed in pairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC19573.jpg (129.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19574.jpg (111.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19579.jpg (136.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg SDC19584.jpg (134.8 KB, 72 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:31   #5
beededea
Regular poster

75 connie tourer, MGZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Dean
Did you or have you removed the two anti-roll bar nuts connected to ie drop links both sides ? (remove the drop link also )
I am doing both springs, both sides, just one side at a time so I have only one side jacked up (not a lot of space in my garage so I have to do one at a time).

I have removed the drop link, though not the anti roll bar, that gave me an inch of play.

I used a 5ft breaker bar, sat on it and was able to lever the upper arm low enough to get the spring into the lower seat - I've done it I thought! - However, nope. I still need an inch more to get it into the cup at the top.

Removing the anti-roll bar will help? I'm not sure I understand, do I undo the anti-roll bar bolts both sides and drop it?

I was expecting this job to be easy and it has taken me hours to get exactly nowhere.

I have just bought some claw-type spring compressors that will hopefully give me an inch of play, that with the breaker bar and the anti roll bar removed might get me those three inches I need (fnaaaar, fnaaaar).

Everyone on't'net seems to have replaced these springs easily except me.

The springs are Killen.
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:26   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beededea View Post
I am doing both springs, both sides, just one side at a time so I have only one side jacked up (not a lot of space in my garage so I have to do one at a time).

I have removed the drop link, though not the anti roll bar, that gave me an inch of play.

I used a 5ft breaker bar, sat on it and was able to lever the upper arm low enough to get the spring into the lower seat - I've done it I thought! - However, nope. I still need an inch more to get it into the cup at the top.

Quote:
Removing the anti-roll bar will help? I'm not sure I understand, do I undo the anti-roll bar bolts both sides and drop it?
I was expecting this job to be easy and it has taken me hours to get exactly nowhere.

I have just bought some claw-type spring compressors that will hopefully give me an inch of play, that with the breaker bar and the anti roll bar removed might get me those three inches I need (fnaaaar, fnaaaar).

Everyone on't'net seems to have replaced these springs easily except me.

The springs are Killen.
You do not need to remove the anti-roll completely just the drop links from it, then it can be pushed down towards the ground giving you the room you need to insert the spring.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:38   #7
kbonney88

you are defo making it hard for yourself.. drop the subframe one side at a time...

I have done it both bays - and doing it by undoing the subframe bolts is much easier.. really is...

Kev
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:45   #8
beededea
Regular poster

75 connie tourer, MGZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbonney88 View Post
you are defo making it hard for yourself.. drop the subframe one side at a time...

I have done it both bays - and doing it by undoing the subframe bolts is much easier.. really is...

Kev
I will have a look at that now, I need to find the sub frame bolts first!

Bear in mind I can't undo the bolts on the other side as that side is up against the garage wall and not jacked up...
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:20   #9
kbonney88

blimey... and you cant move the car now...

I think to do it this way you need to have the subframe a loose on "the other side" to allow a little drop if you know what I mean?

If I was nearby I would help.. but I'm not..

If need be - can you re-assemble as far as you can to move the car?
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:34   #10
beededea
Regular poster

75 connie tourer, MGZT-T

I am going to try dropping the anti-roll bar and then use the spring compressors at the same time. I think it'll work. I'll wait for the compressors to arrive and in the meantime de-rust and paint the suspension components in hammerite.

I could re-assemble and move the car but the old spring broke into five pieces when I pulled it out. I needed the car but that particular appointment is blown now so I can now wait for the paint to dry...