Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd March 2017, 11:54   #1
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Clutch question

Got my Rover 75 1.8 non turbo 03 plate about a month ago, noticed that the clutch pedal was biting very high up, son told me that at 80,000 miles he thought clutch was very worn. Decided to get it changed before it started slipping.
Problem when garage started working on it, has a dual mass flywheel, clutch plate that came out was a plain plate, no springs on it, it was virtually worn out, almost to rivets. The new clutch plate has a series of springs on it. However it is now fitted and working. LUK slave was also fitted.
The clutch pedal still seems be biting right at the top, can't see any difference from where it was before, is this normal? Anyone else see this as a problem.
Thanks
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:03   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Original Rover clutch plates fitted at the factory did not have springs in the first couple of years - plates with springs were introduced later during the production run to deal with some judder issues on early cars.

I am not sure a high clutch pedal is really a problem - many folks on here think that is good, as it suggests a healthy hydraulics system - a low pedal is more of a concern and suggests air in the system.

I am sure the resident clutch experts on here will be along shortly to comment.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:47   #3
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the reply, probably just me being overcautious, but I do like the mechanical side of my cars to be right. Not too fussed about cosmetics as I normally run a car until it either rots into the ground, as my old Rover 800 or is past the state of repairing as my 20 year old BMW was when head gasket went,rot all over wheel arches, damp and headlining sagging due to leaking sunroof, just about had it, still got £50 for it as spares or repair.
I want the 75 to last for at least 6 years or more!
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:02   #4
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Got my Rover 75 1.8 non turbo 03 plate about a month ago, noticed that the clutch pedal was biting very high up, son told me that at 80,000 miles he thought clutch was very worn. Decided to get it changed before it started slipping.
Problem when garage started working on it, has a dual mass flywheel, clutch plate that came out was a plain plate, no springs on it, it was virtually worn out, almost to rivets. The new clutch plate has a series of springs on it. However it is now fitted and working. LUK slave was also fitted.
The clutch pedal still seems be biting right at the top, can't see any difference from where it was before, is this normal? Anyone else see this as a problem.
Thanks
IMO , with all parts replaced,your biting point should be at 1/3 ...1/2 the
pedal travel

precisely ,i got this on mine (diesel):

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote