Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th July 2011, 19:50   #31
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

The forces on the compensator are linear, it appears to suffer by design as its total length is increased with use . The method of holding the two halfs together is by way of a bar that is fixed at one end and simply bent around a round pin. As the other end of the bar is not secured it will have a tendancy to creep over the years, mine has, lengthening the assy by around 10mm.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 20:16   #32
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
Look chaps - all this discussion still doesn't explain why the compensator is getting bent out of shape the way it seems. You would have thought that the pull from the lever (even winding the lever nut up too tight)would keep it in tension (straight pull) but it appears from James D's picture of new and old that there is an upward bending motion as well. If you replace one for one then there may be a possibility of the new compensator getting bent as well eventually - or is it that excessive adjustment on the nut under the lever is bending the compensator??? In other words - is the compensator being subjected to bending with normal operation of the lever??
OK, my two penneth...

There are two entirely separate problems....

If you try to adjust the handbrake, by taking up the slack at the nut under the lever rather than at the hubs, then you risk the nut jamming itself onto the rod where the thread runs out. That I think is the only issue there.

Secondly, everyone seems to be complaining that the handbrake is rubbish. That I think is down to lack of regular use and an excess play at the shoe. The temptation with a poor handbrake is to pull it on even harder. The compensator is not very robust when compared to the rest, so it bends.

What happens when it bends is that the round U shaped rod, which has the pull on only one arm of the U, tries to open itself up. The thiner metal casing gives a little way and the U is then allowed to pull out some way. The 180 degree bend is forced to travel along the U. Eventually, with use the U shaped rod would pull out of the rest of the compensator completely and bang goes your handbrake.

Now, if instead of just pulling on one arm of the U, the pull was on both sides, its abi;lity to resist being torn apart would be almost doubled. So my thought was to MIG weld the two arm so they help support each other. I don't think it would be possible to get the 180 bend of the U back where it was when new and still be able to weld the arms together - so I was thinking with this weled to stop any further movement, the spacer under the nut would sort out the extra cable slack.

The other alternative, would be to make up something to work as a compensator from 6mm steel plate. Obviously it needs to be able to swivel a little, to allow for the two cables from the rear being slightly different lengths, so the pull on each is even.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 20:35   #33
Mel Dawson
Passed Away

2004 facelift saloon cdti se connoisser

Hi Harry,
I think your right so i will have my new one welded when it arrives & see how i get on with it.

Cheers Mel.
Mel Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 13:42   #34
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

As mentioned and thinking about it more, the spacer/larger nut under the tightening nut would indeed, if as mentioned the standard centre cable is a bit too long to start with.
The spacer would allow you to still reach the nut to tighten without needing an extra deep socket over the standard deep socket.
Either way once the slack is taken up on the cables every time the handbrake goes on it is pulling upward on the cable so will always pull up on the U piece and stretch over time, welding sounds a great idea.

From off on the handbrake to the first nots so click its 5mm of travel on the cable every click after that is 2mm so not much each click.

As many have said why such an issue on the rover 75 most other cars are fine and never have any issues.... im always amazed having experienced the rover 75 how amazing the handbrake is on the polo we have, totally rock solid no matter how steep an incline.
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 07:12   #35
Mel Dawson
Passed Away

Hi Dave (Stocktake)
Have you fitted yours yet? If so has it made it any better.

Cheers Mel.
Old 16th July 2011, 07:56   #36
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Dawson View Post
Hi,
Just had email from South Lakeland saying mine will be posted today & that he could not understand why he has had orders for 8 of them in last two days when they have been in stock for long time & never sold one before so i told him about post on club & he said he will try & get some more in stock.

Cheers Mel
Hi Mel
Did they say how long before more stock, and are they going to be the same price now they seem to be selling supply and demand why so much to post too. my hand brake stays solid on 5 clicks thought this was ok for these cars Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 2nd July 2013 at 16:50..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 08:05   #37
Mel Dawson
Passed Away

Hi Artic,
He did not say how long before he gets them or if the price will be the same,The postage was £3.50 for next day recorded which i thought was good.

Cheers Mel.
Old 17th July 2011, 19:19   #38
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

hi,
sorting my car out for mot (begining of august),had trouble as usual with handbrake so was glad to see this post.ordered part on friday and wifey has just told me it arrived yesterday while i was at work!after close inspection have sorted a way of welding together so will (try)and post picture(s)if it is a success.
off topic but also just repaired 3-speed fan and broken wires for air bags (passenger seat),this club has saved me a fortune over the past 3 years!actually this club has cost me a fortune with all the mods i`ve done think i`ll trade it in for a mondeo, only joking.
happy driving
neilll
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 19:32   #39
Mel Dawson
Passed Away

Hi,
I am going to get a piece of steel & weld it to each end of the u rod to try & stop it opening up,That way it will still be able to swivel.

Cheers Mel.
Old 17th July 2011, 19:40   #40
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Dawson View Post
Hi Dave (Stocktake)
Have you fitted yours yet? If so has it made it any better.

Cheers Mel.
Hi Mel, mine didn't arrive in time and i needed the car for the nano meet, had to re- assemble the whole lot to be able to go

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote