Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2024, 15:17   #1
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Default Idiot needs help

Hi All
My cdti got very lumpy a few days ago was blowing out grey smoke and lost power. No hassle, thought I. I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the MAF. While out in the cold I also replaced the front pads and did an oil and filter change. Nothing difficult!
While I was repositioning the jack the car slipped off the passenger side axle stand which was located on the crossmember under the radiator and broke a piece of plastic.
Now, when the car starts and manages to run, the turbo whistles like the Royal Scotsman. The broken plastic is/was tube shaped. One side goes to a rubber hose, (about 1 1/2" diameter), the bit it broke away from looks as if it's attached to the side of radiator.
My question is, is it part of the radiator and if so, does anyone have a spare that they could sell me.
Also, just to make a bad day worse, I've done the impossible and lost the bright yellow oil filler cap.
As someone far more famous said, "Woe, woe and thrice woe".

I've just managed to find a picture. It is the end of the intercooler.

Last edited by polinsteve; 17th January 2024 at 15:30.. Reason: more info
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2024, 17:57   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
Hi All
My cdti got very lumpy a few days ago was blowing out grey smoke and lost power. No hassle, thought I. I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the MAF. While out in the cold I also replaced the front pads and did an oil and filter change. Nothing difficult!
While I was repositioning the jack the car slipped off the passenger side axle stand which was located on the crossmember under the radiator and broke a piece of plastic.
Now, when the car starts and manages to run, the turbo whistles like the Royal Scotsman. The broken plastic is/was tube shaped. One side goes to a rubber hose, (about 1 1/2" diameter), the bit it broke away from looks as if it's attached to the side of radiator.
My question is, is it part of the radiator and if so, does anyone have a spare that they could sell me.
Also, just to make a bad day worse, I've done the impossible and lost the bright yellow oil filler cap.
As someone far more famous said, "Woe, woe and thrice woe".

I've just managed to find a picture. It is the end of the intercooler.
If the end of the intercooler is badly damaged you will probably need a new intercooler, the turbo whistle like ......, thats because there will be zero boost, and the car will drive like a donkey. Yellow oil cap and intercooler, see usual places, Rimmer Bros (ouch, ouch...) Ebay ..., good luck
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2024, 18:17   #3
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at Rimmers and after recovering from my faint, have decided to use a plastic waste insert to give rigidity and then wind 3 or 4 layers of self amalgamating tape round it. Decent brand tape is about £6.00, so worth a try. I actually used some with a metal tube to repair a power steering pipe after a kamikaze bunny committed suicide and knocked the hose against the pulley. That lasted 30,000+ miles until some lads wrote the car off. Fingers crossed. All caused by being decrepit with a back that makes even simple jobs difficult.
Old 17th January 2024, 22:31   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Stephen.
Is it just the intercooler bend, or have to damage the side of the intercooler it's self and the lugs that fix to the side of the intercooler.

Hot glue can sometimes work but not always.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 21:44   #5
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Hi
Thanks for the response.

It's the actual tube, the one nearest the wing that is broken. I feel daft, because trying to save my back I didn't properly check that the axle stand was optimally placed. That along with a cheap trolley jack with insufficient lift, meant that when I repositioned the jack, the top of the axle stand NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- the plastic.
I think there is enough at the bottom of the tube to do a repair. I can fit some waste pipe in the remains and I think use self amalgamating tape to effect a decent seal. An insert into a power steering hose with the tape lasted 30.000 miles or so until the car was written off, so fingers crossed.

I still don't know if the original problem is solved. The car had lost power and was blowing a lot of grey smoke. While I was messing about with it, I changed oil and filter, fuel filter and cleaned the MAF. I don't think the MAF was the problem, as disconnecting it seemed to make no difference. Could it be the EGR?
Old 21st January 2024, 23:05   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Hi
Thanks for the response.

It's the actual tube, the one nearest the wing that is broken. I feel daft, because trying to save my back I didn't properly check that the axle stand was optimally placed. That along with a cheap trolley jack with insufficient lift, meant that when I repositioned the jack, the top of the axle stand NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- the plastic.
I think there is enough at the bottom of the tube to do a repair. I can fit some waste pipe in the remains and I think use self amalgamating tape to effect a decent seal. An insert into a power steering hose with the tape lasted 30.000 miles or so until the car was written off, so fingers crossed.

Quote:
I still don't know if the original problem is solved. The car had lost power and was blowing a lot of grey smoke. While I was messing about with it, I changed oil and filter, fuel filter and cleaned the MAF. I don't think the MAF was the problem, as disconnecting it seemed to make no difference. Could it be the EGR?
Hi Stephen.
So it's the bend that's damaged in the photo below yes? if so drop me your full name and address as long as you are in the UK i will get one sent out to you.

When was the last time you change the Air filter, also cleaning the MAF is not a good idea it can damage the hot wire in it.

PCV filter when was that changed?

ad altiora tendo.

Old 22nd January 2024, 19:23   #7
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Hi.
I will take the front off to get better access and check it properly. Assuming it is just the bend I would appreciate one. Send me your bank details and I'll pay directly into
your account. With regard to the PCV filter, I've been very lax. I've done about 15,000 in this car and haven't checked it. Osteoarthritis makes car work painful nowadays.
With the MAF, I bought some spray. Ten 2 second bursts with the engine at 1500 revs, then 3 minutes at tickover. Whether it's any good or not, (Wynn's) I don't know.
Air fiter is OK but I'll change it when I do the PCV filter.

Thanks for your time, it's really appreciated, as are the photos.
Old 22nd January 2024, 23:08   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Hi.
I will take the front off to get better access and check it properly. Assuming it is just the bend I would appreciate one. Send me your bank details and I'll pay directly into
your account. With regard to the PCV filter, I've been very lax. I've done about 15,000 in this car and haven't checked it. Osteoarthritis makes car work painful nowadays.
With the MAF, I bought some spray. Ten 2 second bursts with the engine at 1500 revs, then 3 minutes at tickover. Whether it's any good or not, (Wynn's) I don't know.

Hi Stephen.
Drop me your full name and address by personal message the intercooler bend will be FOC, and i may also have another little thing for you, if i can find it.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 23rd January 2024, 07:36   #9
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Hi.

Cleaning a MAF sensor is a temp fix, they are incredibly sensitive and precise items. If it is faulty it needs replacing, no amount of cleaning will repair it, if anything it will make it worse over time. If you think the MAF is faulty unplug it and see what happens. Unplugging the MAF also disables the EGR, so it could be a MAF or EGR fault.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2024, 09:36   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Hi Stephen.
I note from another of your threads you are after an intercooler, has yours got damaged when the jack failed, or is it just the bend, which we have talked about?

Have you tried disconnecting the MAF like Jamie said above, is this the same car you had trouble with back in 2017

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=263927&page=2

ad altiora tendo.