Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2017, 14:37   #1
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Default MG7 Heater Control Unit a bit gusty

Has anybody else who's fitted the MG7 heater controls found that the cars climate control has become a bit gusty where it'll occasionally just blow a gale in your face for 2 seconds when it gets warm, and then briefly roast your feet when it gets cold?

It does seem that (compared to the 2 other cars, and to the MGR original unit) the MG7 unit isn't so good at the proportional mixing that is needed to put out a given temperature from the heater.

I mean, it looks lovely, but I'm considering going back to the old unit because I'm finding it distracting driving with this sort of gustiness - if I wanted that I'd buy a TF and drop the lid!
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 14:49   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Hi I fitted an MG 7 climate control unit but found the the display far too dim especially in direct sunlight -so swopped it out for a blue MGR one - i may refit if I can get the luminosity increased - as to the temperature control it seemed fine.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 19:33   #3
Chilljohn
Posted a thing or two

MG HS PHEV

it doesn't get a reading from the solar cell either so doesn't compensate like the oem one also I found the fan control surges in speed slightly when on low speed I had 4 in all and they all did it

and as above display to dim also its constantly rearranges a setting put car on 2ng ig and listen to blend motors always moving

Free enable of digital speedo readout on message centre (takes 2 mins)

Free Vis motor testing, via obd port courtesy of my delphi so no need to take anything apart, along with free code scan including abs and airbag message me for details

Last edited by Chilljohn; 30th April 2017 at 19:38..
Chilljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 20:26   #4
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Yes, I noticed it the other week, I noticed that if you watch the display as the fan is surging, the settings change from eternal air to recirculate and the direction of airflow also changes, goes from footwell to dash vents and back again, then after a few minutes of this behaviour it seems to settle down again,

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 20:42   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Took mine out after a week, couldn't see it Prefer the oem
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 21:09   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Hi I fitted an MG 7 climate control unit but found the the display far too dim especially in direct sunlight -so swopped it out for a blue MGR one - i may refit if I can get the luminosity increased - as to the temperature control it seemed fine.
Mine (after three tries) was still too dim to see during the day in anything but dull conditions. The screen backlighting on the MG7 is less direct than in the MGR unit and there's no simple way to increase it if you want to retain the amber lighting. Klarzy reckons replacing them with blue LEDs actually increases the brightness. I suspect it's as much about perception than light increase. Anyway, with all miniature SMD circuitry there's not much else you can do about it other than to install an independant backlighting system. That's what I've done anyway and it's pretty drastic to say the least. Certainly it's not for the faint hearted or ham-fisted to tackle.

The light guide type dispersive/reflective filter located under the LCD screen was dispensed with. The complete screen holder base was cut out to provide an open framework. On that I've fixed a thick plastic amber filter. The lighting is provided by no less than eighteen amber SMD LEDs on a custom made circuit board. This sits on top of the main board for the controller positioned beneath the frame. The original six LEDs still light up, but aren't involved.

This has its own separate power supply with an inline fuse and will come on with the ignition. On the bench it's most satisfactory. I simply have to get around to fitting it in the car.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 30th April 2017 at 21:13..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 21:17   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I fitted one in my 260, within a mile I was sweating like I was in a furnace. All it did was put my heat to max even though the controls were set to max cold.

I got a full refund so no problem. The standard controllers seem to be interchangeable but the Chinese ones are obviously not compatible.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote