Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th May 2017, 11:38   #11
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
This is what I've done...It works well.
Des Hammill I think is correct in his view that removal of the bleed valve will result in unrestricted coolant flow through that part of the circuit direct to the expansion bottle. It bypasses the radiator and by design the bypass flow does the same and their combined effect according to Des can be ~ 20% uncooled coolant flowing in the engine depending on its RPM.

He reckons that might be ok providing the rest of the system remains good but I personally am in favour of leaving the bleed valve in place. If it is removed I would opt to make and fit the 1.5mm cleanable flow restrictor which he describes in his book.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 14:48   #12
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Volume/or flow, (take your pick) wise he might be right, but when that uncooled flow returns to the stat it will open a bit further to compensate, thus retrning to equilibrium, or just above.
No issue really.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 15:33   #13
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default A strange thing happened.

I've taken out the stat and with the new water flow rate after the mod, the car runs just under quarter to nine temp without it. The car warms up faster, the heater is just fine and it behaves like it still has the stat. It would seem that at the moment it defies logic but I can't think of any other reason for this, I'm going to change the radiator as I think it's partially blocked and then see what happens. Who knows? It might just be a great mod for others to consider.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 21:22   #14
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

If what you say is correct then you must have a problem Mike. I've had a couple of stat failures in my time and on every occasion the car was worse for it. My current Rover 25 came to me with a working stat but someone had drilled its frame and overly so. Believe me, it never compensated for what hit it and for much of the time the car was uncomfortable and often dangerous and undriveable because of the cold and the misted/frozen windows. It also drank like a fish as it was forever in cold-fuelling mode.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote