Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th August 2014, 19:50   #1
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Thumbs down Spencer Ashley T-Piece SERIOUS QUALITY ISSUES

2 weekends ago, I decided to fit one of the Spencer Ashley alloy T-pieces to my 1.8T as a preventative measure - and I'm starting to regret that decision.

The bottom joint on the alloy T-piece was weeping after I had fitted, so off it came as I thought maybe a faulty or damaged rubber hose may have been the culprit - fitted new hose to PRT but problem persisted. So, off came the bottom hose again and having a close look at the beading on the alloy T-piece, I noticed that it was scored across it's full width and it looked to have been machined into in that it had a uniform look to it.

So I emailed and called Spencer Ashley requesting a replacement as I felt this was a manufacturing issue - Nothing arrived for a few days, so got back on via email and finally received new T-piece last Thursday - SEE PICTURES ATTACHED.

Anyway, the replacement T-Piece has an awful weld on the small pipe for the turbo, which has virtually closed its opening - surely this could have seriously damaged the turbo had I not spotted before fitting (see photo 2)?

So I try calling (no answer), left a message and an email requesting a quality inspected item urgently, but no effort to return my calls or emails, and no replacement T-piece..
I am left with the original poor quality alloy T-piece still weeping coolant which I have to top up on a daily basis - a terrible quality replacement sitting spare which could have destroyed the turbo if fitted (how this got past quality control is beyond me) - and a bitter customer care experience with no effort to return my calls or any of my emails.

If a satisfactory item is not received very shorty, I will have to refit the original plastic T piece. I understand that many have used the Spencer Ashley T piece without problems, but I feel its important to take a good look over the item before fitting, as I have received 2 very poor quality items, that if not correctly inspected could have caused serious engine damage.

I am not one for complaining for no reason, just a warning to others to inspect carefully before fitting.

Regards, Karl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T piece.jpg (131.6 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg T piece 2.jpg (118.7 KB, 293 views)

Last edited by The Mighty Quinn; 10th August 2014 at 19:58..
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 19:58   #2
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

That is not very good is it, I was thinking of getting one of these for my 1.8 turbo. They are only a couple of miles from my home, I think I will keep the plastic part for a while.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Tom.
Old 10th August 2014, 19:58   #3
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

These items should be pressure tested, not visually checked. I would also like to mention Jubillee Clips, or hose clips. Cheap versions of these pull to one side when tightened and in some cases cut into the hose, use the more expensive versions for a sound seal.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 20:01   #4
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
These items should be pressure tested, not visually checked. I would also like to mention Jubillee Clips, or hose clips. Cheap versions of these pull to one side when tightened and in some cases cut into the hose, use the more expensive versions for a sound seal.
Thanks Paul, yeah I have purchased high quality T clamps for the job and am careful with their fitting in any case - sound advice for others however.
Old 10th August 2014, 20:26   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I can weld aluminium and stainless.... whoever made that can not...
Old 10th August 2014, 20:37   #6
Darkxs
Gets stuck in

Ex Rover 75 CDT Mk1

That doesn't even look like a weld! Looks like someone spray painted chewing gum and stuck the two pieces together with it

Einhundertsechzig
Darkxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 20:41   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The aluminium T-pieces certainly don't look as robust as the s.s. ones that Gerry (RIP) made. I remain unimpressed with the alternatives.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 20:54   #8
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

The weld was too hot and had insufficient downslope, hence those dots you can see.
Typical of an inexperienced welder, probably being paid peanuts and under pressure, trying to do it quickly.
Probably a new guy and dare I say young, where his work should definitely have been tested until proven reliable.
Then, it simply wouldn't need testing and the mere suggestion would be an insult, particularly so with TIG, imo.

I feel a bit sorry for him actually, as you just shouldn't be left to work like that.

If indeed it was an experienced welder, he needs sacking.

And yes, I do know a thing or two about it and have the certs to prove it

Villa, Stella, Balti.
It's Brummie latin that means, er......

Vis tester available to local V6 owners
Anon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 19:58   #9
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
I can weld aluminium and stainless.... whoever made that can not...
Hi Peter,
Could you (or anyone else with the know-how...) be encouraged to produce 1 or 2 of these?
I have seen images of the stainless steel Gerry T-piece (RIP), which looks to be of a much higher quality than these S.A ones...
I would definitely be interested in 1 manufactured by a conscientious forum member and I'm sure there would be a few others too...
Or is not financially viable without the volumes?
Cheers, Karl.
Old 11th August 2014, 20:04   #10
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Here's an image of Gerry's handy work in stainless, fitted to my previous car.

pab is offline   Reply With Quote