Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th April 2017, 19:12   #11
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Engineer? I don't think so John.
Old 30th April 2017, 18:34   #12
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi All - thanks for your comments and support. Thought I'd give you all an update...

I gave the garage a call and asked about the gasket they used, and whether they measured the liner heights. I get a very confused response and was told simply:

"We just used the gasket from our supplier. They only supply the one type. We've never had an issue before and we've done loads of them".

Suffice to say that I took my car back from them as soon as I could. They have refused to admit any wrong doing. As a gesture of good will, they have offered to source and fit a new engine at cost - yeah, like I'd trust them again!!

Following recommendations from a few people, I've contacted Dave and Kayleigh in Derby (MG Rover Mobile Mechanics). They have offered to pull my engine apart and give me a report that I can then use to take back to my original garage. Once my engine is apart, they'll let me know what needs to be done to get things put right once and for all (having already quoted a worse case price, which was almost the same as the cost for chaging the head at my local garage). Only issue I had was that they weren't able to visit or collect my car until the end of May, but were willing to look at it next week if I could get the car to them. Got to say, I really cannot fault Kayleigh for her customer service.

After calling around various places this week, my only option was to drive it as far as I could and then call the RAC if I broke down. I got about 5 miles before my engine temperature alarms all went off. I pulled onto the hard shoulder and called the RAC. The man came out, checked the coolant and called me over to smell it - the coolant stank of petrol. Suffice to say that he didn't attempt to repair anything and simply towed me the rest of the way. I'm wondering if there is also a problem with the inlet manifold gasket they've fitted (I have changed to the VVC manifold, so think they may have fitted the wrong gasket here).

When I got to the garage in Derby, Dave and Kayleigh were both happy for me to have a poke around the garage and have a chat about the engine whilst he was working on a cam belt for a zt v6. I'm expecting to hear back from them this coming week, so will update this thread again when I have an update. I asked about a taxi to the train station and was offered a Streetwise to use until my car is back on the road. Again, cannot fault the service.

Last edited by chiron_myth; 30th April 2017 at 18:36..
chiron_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 19:42   #13
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Dave and Kayleigh are doing mine too. They sorted my head, but there is more to do because previous owner k-sealed it ��
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 20:13   #14
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have now followed them on Facebook just in case I need them. Luckily there is a very experienced MGR friendly garage local to me in Gloucester which I have used with good results on both the 1.8T and V6.
Old 30th April 2017, 20:40   #15
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Dave and Kayleigh are doing mine too. They sorted my head, but there is more to do because previous owner k-sealed it ��
Yes, I saw your post. I'm following that one, waiting for the updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have now followed them on Facebook just in case I need them. Luckily there is a very experienced MGR friendly garage local to me in Gloucester which I have used with good results on both the 1.8T and V6.
They were recommended through the facebook page. Was chatting to Kayleigh through facebook messenger - she really knows her stuff. It's a nice touch being able to speak to a knowledgeable garage via FB messenger - much easier than trying to spare time for a phonecall when you're in work 9-5.

Last edited by chiron_myth; 30th April 2017 at 20:42..
chiron_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 21:17   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiron_myth View Post
Thought I'd give you all an update...
Thanks John, much appreciated.
Quote:
Suffice to say that I took my car back from them as soon as I could.
Without a doubt, that was the right decision.
Quote:
I've contacted Dave and Kayleigh in Derby ... They have offered to pull my engine apart and give me a report that I can then use to take back to my original garage.
Going back to your original garage would be like jumping into a shark infested swimming pool though, so best not to accept that admittedly very helpful offer.
Quote:
Dave and Kayleigh were both happy for me to have a poke around the garage and have a chat about the engine whilst he was working on a cam belt for a zt v6.
Say no more John. That gesture speaks volumes about their confidence and professionalism. Any outfit which confines you to sitting on the faux leather sofa next to the artificial Kentia palm sipping thin tasteless Klix tea (on 'health and safety' or 'you're not insured' grounds) should be judged with a healthy amount of suspicion.
Quote:
I asked about a taxi to the train station and was offered a Streetwise to use until my car is back on the road. Again, cannot fault the service.

Simon
Old 1st May 2017, 12:46   #17
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiron_myth View Post
Yes, I saw your post. I'm following that one, waiting for the updates

They were recommended through the facebook page. Was chatting to Kayleigh through facebook messenger - she really knows her stuff. It's a nice touch being able to speak to a knowledgeable garage via FB messenger - much easier than trying to spare time for a phonecall when you're in work 9-5.

Dave is picking it back up after the holidays for some serious flushing! It sounds gorgeous after the rebuild he did, so hopefully he will sort it easily enough.

I have been speaking to Kayleigh over the weekend, and nothing is too much trouble. We're now facebook "friends" even. Its good to have someone so close with the knowledge.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 19:22   #18
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

I agree with previous messages - I have a 1.8 non turbo and a local garage that seems to be good with the car (they service several other Rover 75s). Any garage that immediately suggests you need a new engine should be called into question. Don't let these guys do any more damage - take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 20:13   #19
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi all,

Quick update - I've got my car back and is it running great - new engine and all.

Also got an engineers report which showed some interesting problems - main one caused by the wrong gasket fitted, a few issues which were probably caused by them and one bodge repair which I hadn't got around to fixing.

Overall - please as punch with the service at MG Rover Mobile Mechanics. I'll pull everything together and share with you all over the next couple of days.

Only downside is that I didn't get the car back in time to go to the Midlands Nano Meet today and won't have time to go there tomorrow. But still, I'd rather have my car back than have to go to the meet in the courtesy car.
Old 16th May 2017, 20:35   #20
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Finally got round to piecing this all together, so here goes. When taking off the head, it was pretty clear which cylinder was at fault:

When looking a little more closely, the liner had sunk down below the minimum tollerance needed for a successful head gasket replacement:

This would have been clearly visible to anybody who knew that the liner heights needed to be measured. Instead, the original garage I took the car to simply carried on a fitted the MLS gasket. Due to the size of the MLS gasket, there is no way on earth it would have sealed around the cylinder. Therefore no surprise that the car wasn't running correctly after this.

Incidentally, I was told in the engineers report that the liner was also too low for a liner shim to be used, therefore a new bottom end was needed regardless. However I do not know if the reason for this is the dodgy work by the original garage making things worse or if this was always a problem (I suspect the former as the head gasket wasn't leaking before the work was carried out).

In any case, there was also evidence of other bodges around the engine such as and incorrect alternator bolt:

and exhause manifold bolds shimmed up with washers:

Therefore even leaving other errors aside, I'm sure a reputable garage would have either corrected these points or advised me of them when doing the work (assuming that these were present before they started, which I doubt).

In any case, I've written a formal letter of complaint to try and claw some money back from them. Therefore we'll have to wait and see what happens. Fortunately, they're part of the motor ombudsman scheme which at least gives some recourse if they tell me again that it's all my fault and they did nothing wrong.