Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th June 2011, 23:02   #1
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Default MG6 Magnette ~ Positive review

4 out of 5 stars, a nice positive review! I think it looks quite handsome!

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...se_review.html

What is it?

We've already tried the MG6 in five-door hatchback form, and found it to be unexpectedly entertaining with precise, feelsome steering, keen handling and the sort of ride that breathes over Britain's crumbling roads while still feeling engagingly precise. The early car we drove also had some gruesome interior finishes and an inconsistent throttle response from its 158bhp, 1.8-litre N-series engine (a development of the K-series). That hatchback is now named MG6 GT and is joined by a four-door saloon version, called MG6 Magnette. It's the heritage card being played; there were MG Magnette saloons in the 50s and 60s and Magnette sports cars in the 30s.

Technical highlights

As with the MG6 GT, the Magnette is assembled in a renovated section of Austin Rover's old Longbridge factory from kits sent from China by MG Motor's parent company, Shanghai Automotive. Much of the design and engineering is British. The underpinnings are loosely related to those of the old Rover 75. The Magnette trades the GT's high hatchback tail for a longer, shapelier one containing a vast boot. The result is a better-looking, more aesthetically balanced car than you might expect. Rear seat space is very generous, with access gained by doors whose window frames are shaped differently from the GT's.

What's it like to drive?

On this second encounter with an MG6, the dashboard design jarred a bit less. The instruments still seem lost in their vast cowling but the prominent slab of plastic above the glovebox now has a semi-matt finish, so the eye isn't dragged towards it as strongly. There's a long list of standard equipment, especially in the top TSE version with its leather seats.

As before, the hydraulically-assisted steering has delightful feel, weight, precision and transparency. The suspension mixes supple springing with taut damping, all of which makes this bulky-looking saloon feel very agile and pointable on a twisting road. Its cornering attitude is nicely throttle-adjustable, and the whole car has something of the feel of the original Ford Focus.

Revisions to the engine mapping have banished the flat spots and made the throttle's action more progressive. It's quieter, too, but the 158 horses still feel undernourished. Top speed is limited to 120mph, incidentally, because it reduces insurance premiums.

How does it compare?

MG says the Magnette is a sports saloon with much of the appeal of a BMW 3-series at a much lower price. There's something in that, with a taste of Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Lancer also thrown into the shopping basket. It has no direct rival.

Anything else I need to know?

Sales start in July, with dealers numbering over 60 by the end of the year. Prices are £500 more than the GT's, starting at £15,995 for the Magnette S and finishing at £19,995 for the TSE. And, er… four stars? Drive it and you'll see why.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 06:07   #2
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Whilst is doesn't really stand out against most other vehicles in its class looks wise, it's nice to know that it is a good drive. Certainly prefer the saloon to the hatch.

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 06:35   #3
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

i hope it sells

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 21:06   #4
keithybhoy
Banned

MG ZT-T190

it looks a hell of a lot better as a saloon and it really suits silver too,i think its a cracking looking car
keithybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 21:10   #5
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

It does look very good, but they still need to get a better engine line up for the car, with only an uneconcomical high CO2 option is always going to hamper sales.

Diesel to follow and then hopefully the V8 version next year
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 21:11   #6
simdel1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi, Porsche 944 Lux, MGF

Very impressive review. I trust evo more than many other pulications for their opinion on cars. It looks so much better with the boot.

I'm still hoping there will be an "RS" version in the near future.

The Simdel1 Fleet:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/447/sigmgf.png
simdel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 21:24   #7
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

I like the use of the name Magnette which was as you probably know an old old MG saloon name with the ZA ZB & Farina models, the car doesn't do much for me though I don't find it unpleasant infact it's quite nice in it's own way
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 03:29   #8
Roger1
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.5 Tourer; 2022 MG HS; 2021 MG ZST

I like the use of the retro name too, and am very pleased that there are at least some positive reviews after that clown Clarkson gave it the raspberry. What's his problem anyway? Does he wish to wreck this company's chances too? Unfortunately though the MG6 is a bit nondescript. It just seems to lack something.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 16:38   #9
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

As per my other post... sat in one today and its a fine car.

Engine block 100% k-series but all bits going to it are new
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote