Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd December 2023, 10:00   #1
markdetriomphe

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Rover 75 CDTi Tourer – Hydramount Question

Hello everyone,

I would like to start off by thanking everyone for such great forum - so many helpful articles and friendly advice. I have been a member for several years now but embarrassingly I have never posted. However, I am hoping now that someone will be able to help me with the following problem.

I while ago, I purchased a replacement hydramount. Last night I removed my old mount and found that the new one is one of those that is larger / taller than the original. There are many mentions of these larger mounts across several threads and some owners seem to have fitted them by cutting down the threads – I assume on the top part. On my hydramount, it is the actual body of the mount that is quite a bit taller than the original.

So my question is : is this a problem and does it cause any issues with alignment when everything is bolted back up again?

Thanks again in advance for any thoughts or comments on this problem.

Mark
markdetriomphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 10:33   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdetriomphe View Post
Hello everyone,

I would like to start off by thanking everyone for such great forum - so many helpful articles and friendly advice. I have been a member for several years now but embarrassingly I have never posted. However, I am hoping now that someone will be able to help me with the following problem.

I while ago, I purchased a replacement hydramount. Last night I removed my old mount and found that the new one is one of those that is larger / taller than the original. There are many mentions of these larger mounts across several threads and some owners seem to have fitted them by cutting down the threads – I assume on the top part. On my hydramount, it is the actual body of the mount that is quite a bit taller than the original.

So my question is : is this a problem and does it cause any issues with alignment when everything is bolted back up again?

Thanks again in advance for any thoughts or comments on this problem.

Mark
Hi Mark.
Where did you get the mount from? is it a Freelander one, the body rubber part is most likely taller because the old one will have compacted over time, how much taller is it.

If it is the Freelander 1 mount then yes cut the thread down a little.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 11:32   #3
markdetriomphe

Rover 75 Tourer

Hello Arctic - many thanks for your quick reply.

The new mount came from DMGRS (part number KKB101914) and I believe it is supposed to be correct for the Rover 75.

Overall it is 14mm longer - 4mm of that is on the threaded part, 10mm is the rubber body.
So - it does sound as though your explanation is correct and it is just that the body of my original mount has compacted.

I am going to go ahead on that assumption - fingers crossed.

Thank you so much once again,
Mark
Old 22nd December 2023, 11:39   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdetriomphe View Post
Hello Arctic - many thanks for your quick reply.

The new mount came from DMGRS (part number KKB101914) and I believe it is supposed to be correct for the Rover 75.

Overall it is 14mm longer - 4mm of that is on the threaded part, 10mm is the rubber body.
So - it does sound as though your explanation is correct and it is just that the body of my original mount has compacted.

I am going to go ahead on that assumption - fingers crossed.

Thank you so much once again,
Mark
Hi Mark.
That should be ok to fit without any alterations, I'm sure matt would have said it they need to be cut down, it was only the Freelander 1 mounts which need trimming

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 17:05   #5
markdetriomphe

Rover 75 Tourer

Thank you once again Arctic.

That was a surprisingly straightforward job in the end. In fact, most of the jobs I have done on this car have been OK with the helpful articles on this forum.

All the best,
Mark
Old 22nd December 2023, 19:41   #6
zaph
Avid contributor

Rover 75

I suspect that the DMGRS part will be one for a Chinese MG. If you look on the Rimmers site the same part number is listed for the Diesel and 4 cylinder petrol models. Now since MG, to my knowledge, only make a petrol model based on the 75 design. My concern was the part wouldn't be man enough for the diesel engine.

It is why I went with the Freelander TD4 part instead. If the dimensions are off anyway, I would prefer to go with a part designed for a diesel.
zaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 21:01   #7
markdetriomphe

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaph View Post
I suspect that the DMGRS part will be one for a Chinese MG. If you look on the Rimmers site the same part number is listed for the Diesel and 4 cylinder petrol models. Now since MG, to my knowledge, only make a petrol model based on the 75 design. My concern was the part wouldn't be man enough for the diesel engine.

It is why I went with the Freelander TD4 part instead. If the dimensions are off anyway, I would prefer to go with a part designed for a diesel.
Makes sense. I have done it now so will see how it goes with the part I had - but an easy enough job to change again if that part does not seem to last. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 22nd December 2023, 21:30   #8
Imm75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Mark,

How did you remove the old part?

Regards
Imm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2023, 08:51   #9
markdetriomphe

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imm75 View Post
Hi Mark,

How did you remove the old part?

Regards
Well - I made a rather nice replica of the removal tool from some steel tubing.

I'd like to say it worked brilliantly - but unfortunately the mount was on rather tight and I let the tool slip, which chewed up one of the tabs. That meant I couldn't use the tool anymore so I resorted to the brute force method of a drift and club hammer. That worked really well

Luckily the tool did come in useful when re-fitting because it allowed me to tighten up the new mount to the correct torque.