Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd March 2017, 07:23   #31
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

What annoys me is when I'm in amcoach on the motorway, I come up behind a slower moving vehicle I need to overtake, check the mirror, a vehicle is behind ,but some distance, I have time to overtake,then as soon as I indicate, the vehicle is alongside, and then slows down.
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:29   #32
Fox3
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi and MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
What annoys me is when I'm in amcoach on the motorway, I come up behind a slower moving vehicle I need to overtake, check the mirror, a vehicle is behind ,but some distance, I have time to overtake,then as soon as I indicate, the vehicle is alongside, and then slows down.
I think people are extremely unaware how difficult driving a HGV/Coach is, I think the mentality is 'Must get past at all costs!' I often get people driving around me in my truck like i'm not there, or cutting in at the last second.

That's another one of mine, people that try to merge onto a motorway from the slip road at about 40mph, get your foot down!
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:33   #33
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox3 View Post
I think people are extremely unaware how difficult driving a HGV/Coach is, I think the mentality is 'Must get past at all costs!' I often get people driving around me in my truck like i'm not there, or cutting in at the last second.

That's another one of mine, people that try to merge onto a motorway from the slip road at about 40mph, get your foot down!
Exactly! They have lots of blind spots, and that attitude is spot on! " oh no a coach/truck is trying to,pull,out, I'm not getting stuck behind that!. "
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:53   #34
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
People who blame BMW and Audi drivers. They must have an emotional problem with them. Ok, Rover drivers who all have a pipe and slippers and are all over 60.
In many cases it is jealousy. I've never understood jealousy. If I want a thing, I'll buy it!

Although I am a bit jealous of my friend who has a Leyland Royal Tiger Doyen.

Obviously, they're all driven by nutters and absolutely rubbish- until I get one myself. Then they will all be perfect!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:13   #35
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyland Worldmaster View Post
I get upset when I see people overtaking vehicles waiting at zebra crossings. This is because when I am approaching these, I anticipate the people close to the crossing intend to cross and will be there before me. The motorists who can't understand nowt technical see the bus I am driving as a thing they must pass.

This happens all the time at one particular crossing (Carshalton Station) all the time and I've seen many near misses with School children crossing at the time...
It's illegal to overtake within the white zig-zags of a pedestrian crossing
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:17   #36
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
It's illegal to overtake within the white zig-zags of a pedestrian crossing
Yes, and yet people do it with impunity! As I said, it always happens at peak times when everyone is about!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:43   #37
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Interesting views and annoyances - the Highway Code is advice, not law. It is not "illegal to reverse onto a busy road", any driving action, if inappropriate for the conditions or circumstances, could be construed as careless or dangerous driving.
It is illegal to overtake within the limits of the zig-zag markings of a pedestrian crossing.
Therefore, it is more a case of enforcement, and if there is nobody there to enforce or point out the faults with someones driving, they will still do it.

No one has mentioned the moronic action of those who exceed the speed limit then hit the brakes when they see a camera, my pet hate.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:45   #38
IverRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0ltr V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

In addition to the points raised already, one of my pet hates, and apologies in advance if this upsets anyone who may have been affected by this kind of incident in the past, it is not meant to pass judgement on individual cases, but here goes...
People who instantly blame the car/van/coach driver in the case of an accident that involves a motorcyclist, cyclist or pedestrian.

There are bad, or irresponsible drivers out there of all modes of transport, just as there are very good and aware ones. All the publicity regarding cyclicts/motorcyclists being seriously injured, or worse, when travelling alongside turning vehicles, still has little effect on some who still assist on taking the risk. Pedestrians getting knocked over.

Others like in this clip are just plain stupid. Thinking they are invincible.....WRONG.
https://twitter.com/Motorwaymayhem_/...575435264?s=09

The roads are getting busier week by week but the standard of users seems to be getting lower. How many cyclists actually take the cycling proficiency test before deciding they are competent on all roads. CBT for motorcyclists. Basic training gives you basic awareness but many think this is the green light. Car drivers. Many would pass there driving test and although they had never had a driving lesson covering motorway driving as learners are not allowed on there, once passed, they could go straight on. The results sometimes are quite frightening.

How many pedestrians walk out into the road paying more attention to social media chat on their mobiles rather than the vehicles motoring towards them?

But as I was saying, so many factors can point to the cause of an accident/incident, but when these happen, it does annoy me the amount of people that, without knowing the facts, point the finger of blame at the motorist. "They were going too fast" "They should have known I was there" etc etc etc
IverRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:01   #39
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Some interesting points raised here. I think as human (fallible) beings we can also take the view that we are prone to mistakes.

As a cyclist I see my share of "interesting" manoeuvres around me. On one occasion I was approaching a zebra crossing (just after the road narrows to make it more exciting ). I saw there was a pedestrian about to cross, so I slowed down to let them cross. The 4x4 behind me took this as being their cue to overtake.

They passed at speed on the wrong side of the road, as the person crossed. Thank goodness they were coming from my side, otherwise would have been probably deadly.

I had it all recorded on my camera.

It was a crazy manoeuvre, but rather than going ballistic I took the option to give the footage to the police and let them warn the driver about their actions. Luckily, no one was hurt this time.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:14   #40
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Which none out in the US ever seem to use, they virtually all sit in D at traffic lights or when traffic stops for whatever reason.
I always thought that sitting in traffic with the car in drive might overheat the box.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote