Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd March 2017, 12:33   #41
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
A colleague of mine decided to become a driving instructor. I moaned about people not indicating. He said learner drivers today are told they don't have to indicate if it's not necessary ie when in a left only lane.
My point to him was that using indicators whether they are necessary or not gets people into the habit of using them. By telling learner drivers they don't have to use them they are getting into the habit of not using them even when they should. Like it's some prehistoric legacy from the model T days that doesn't matter anymore.
Sure enough I now see lots of people not indicating when they should.

As for my pet hates - taxis that pull up in the middle of a car lined road even though there is space at the kerb for them.
And more recently - people going through no entry signs because it's a shorter route than going round a couple of houses.
Not indicating when 'it's not necessary' is a very bad thing - if it would help others (even the ones you haven't yet noticed, like pedestrians and other vehicles approaching that you can't see). Always indicate unless you have a full view of the road (and pavement) all around you for a long distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
I'm guessing this doesn't apply to motorcycles.
Only the ones with parking brakes. Although usually once a vehicle has pulled up behind I'll release the brake unless I need to hold against a sloping road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Which none out in the US ever seem to use, they virtually all sit in D at traffic lights or when traffic stops for whatever reason.
Just to point out in the USA 'auto' is short for automobile, (which I am led to believe have mostly automatic gearboxes) but doesn't stop them calling a car with a manual box ( a 'stick shift') an 'auto'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_mike View Post
Idiot HGV drivers who think it's fun to drive 12" behind the HGV in front.

Idiot HGV drivers who take 20 minutes to pass the HGV in front who is travelling 1mph slower on a dual carriageway.

Idiot HGV drivers who indicate to overtake the HGV in front and then pull out immediately, clearly without reference to their rear view mirrors.

Idiot HGV drivers. That's it.

Mike
Any HGV driver overtaking on a two lane dual carriageway covered in roundabouts - they never actually gain anything on the vehicle they pass as it'll be right behind them at the next roundabout. Worst is when one has better acceleration but goes .5mph slower when cruising - overtakes off the roundabout but then the other has to pass him halfway to the next one.. (10 yrs exp of commuting up and down the A43 N'hampton to M40)

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Interesting views and annoyances - the Highway Code is advice, not law. It is not "illegal to reverse onto a busy road", any driving action, if inappropriate for the conditions or circumstances, could be construed as careless or dangerous driving.
It is illegal to overtake within the limits of the zig-zag markings of a pedestrian crossing.
Therefore, it is more a case of enforcement, and if there is nobody there to enforce or point out the faults with someones driving, they will still do it.

No one has mentioned the moronic action of those who exceed the speed limit then hit the brakes when they see a camera, my pet hate.
The highway code paraphrases the written law - when it says 'Must' or 'Must not' , saying 'may' or 'may not' is more open to judgement. Having said that most people forget that UK laws aren't just what is written in white papers but includes actual judgements made previously (i.e. test-cases).

Braking whilst speeding when spotting a speed camera? Isn't that the intended effect? Shouldn't bother you following them - unless you are keeping up?

P.S - Pet hate? Range rover evoque DRLs 6 feet off the rear windscreen on - why I have the blind as the auto-dim mirror doesn't cope with that .

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 3rd March 2017 at 12:36..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:02   #42
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

Many new cars nowadays have electronic handbrakes, and coupled with automatically shutting down engines when at a standstill, there is a couple of seconds where the "handbrake' is applied to allow you to do the modern equivalent of a hill start without needing to get the rev, clutch and handbrake co-ordination right (which any driver should be able to do anyway). So it would seem that car design is ignoring the use of the handbrake at lights, queues etc too and encourages just use of the foot brake (with accompanying brake lights).

These things I mention are a pet hate of mine, taking away control of the car. I mean, how can you do a handbrake turn with a stupid electronic handbrake ? It won't let you
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:43   #43
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I sit at traffic lights with my car in drive and my foot on the brake, I also slow down for speed cameras.... but then I suspect at 48 I'm not quite old enough for this thread

In my defence I am always careful to try do my best to make HGV (and bus) drivers lives easier if I can as 90% of them don't need the grief do they as they are just doing their job, and usually rather well - we wont mention 2 wagons blocking 2 lanes of a motorway for 10 miles as one is trying to overtake the other with a 1mph speed difference
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 14:28   #44
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
People who blame BMW and Audi drivers. They must have an emotional problem with them. Ok, Rover drivers who all have a pipe and slippers and are all over 60.
I suspect I am in the minority, in that the BMW and the Audi range are cars that I actually like. It's some of the numpties driving them, that give the brand a bad name Last summer, I saw a Beemer and an Audi having a race down a bus lane in C. London when everyone else was keeping out of it
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 14:36   #45
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Writing from East Africa, what gets my goat is the drivers coming at me driving in the middle of the road, as though they own it and want to play chicken. I always have to slow down and give way to avoid smashing them up with my 4x4.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 15:11   #46
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Accountants who have the attitude that the roads were built for them only.

Re Post #29
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 15:36   #47
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

And I thought it was the other way round. Silly me.

Re post #49.

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:21   #48
Dubya
Loves to post

2005 MG ZT-T+ V6 190

Several of my pet motoring hates have already been mentioned ( e.g. tailgating, lack of indication, people who have to have a foot on at least one pedal all the time).

However one not yet mentioned that infuriates me is when driving in the dark and the motorist in front feels the need to hit the brakes every time a vehicle comes the opposite way. I mean, do think just because it's dark that all traffic heading towards them is going to be on their side of the road? I suspect it is more to do with their eyesight, which begs the question, "should they really be driving?".
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:25   #49
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

People who won't pass me on dual carriageways when I am driving a hearse! It is NOT disrespectful to pass a hearse. It's how you pass.

................. and whilst I'm having a moan, please let the cortege keep together and don't pull in between the hearse and the limousine!
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:06   #50
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

My pet hates!!! What yours ???? Car related

I started writing my response but the list kept gettng longer!

So, I thought I would just summarise.

1. Other people's cars and their drivers.

2. Non-car driving people on the roads.

3. HGV drivers who constantly disrupt traffic flow for long periods by overtaking lorries whilst travelling .0005 MPH faster than the ones(s) they are overtaking. That's the majority of them. So, HGV drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
People who blame BMW and Audi drivers. They must have an emotional problem with them. Ok, Rover drivers who all have a pipe and slippers and are all over 60.
Come of think of it Sean, when you came on the forum and announced that you had bought a BMW, my first though went as follows:

'What a shame, and he seemed such a reasonable chap when I met him'

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
People who won't pass me on dual carriageways when I am driving a hearse! It is NOT disrespectful to pass a hearse. It's how you pass.

................. and whilst I'm having a moan, please let the cortege keep together and don't pull in between the hearse and the limousine!
I am going to write in my will that when I go, I want my body to be driven around A roads for a week in an HGV overtaking other lorries at the same speed as them!

Last edited by MSS; 3rd March 2017 at 17:11..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote