Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th July 2012, 10:38   #31
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithybhoy View Post
All you guys should do a wee walk through in daftie terms as it has me interested but the tech talk dumbfounds me lol
Sorry Keith, I'll try explain
The Raspberry Pi is basically a very small computer. It's not capable of running Windows, but can run a simplified operating system called Linux. It only requires a 5vdc USB to power it. It has a couple of USB sockets on it, an HDMI socket, a video out socket, a 3.5mm socket for sound, and an sd card slot for the operating system to be installed on. To be used in a car, would require a display of some sort ( Sean dd unit or similar, anything with a video in socket). A wireless keyboard and mouse, or similar to control it. If you add a Bluetooth USB dongle to it, you can then tether it to your phone to get Internet access on it. You can install a Media Centre software for playing films, music etc from a USB stick. I will be connecting mine up to a roof mounted screen in the back of my car with 3 x infra red headphones to keep the kids happy They will be able to watch films, play games etc, whilst we have the radio and satnav up front on the dd unit..
Hope this makes a bit more sense
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 11:14   #32
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithybhoy View Post
All you guys should do a wee walk through in daftie terms as it has me interested but the tech talk dumbfounds me lol
My set up will be slightly different. I will hook up the Raspberry Pi (a simple computer costing around £ 20) to my Highline setup. Simply put, I will have a computer set up to use the display in the front of the car (highline). What you do with the computer is much the same as you can do with a home pc.

Games
Films
Music
Internet
etc.

Until it arrives and I get chance to play with it I am only guessing at what may be possible. The Pi is quite a simple machine but it can display HD video and I think I saw somewhere it could play Quake the quite old video game. The pi has USB ports so you can plug any USB device into it. Getting the USB device to work may be a challenge though.

Edit: Forgot to say, the pi is about the size of a pack of cards. My idea is to mount it in the boot and control it with a small wireless keyboard and touch pad. This of course would have to be done when the car is stationary.

I would also have the feature of the highline unit cutting the display if the car is moving although playing pre selected music would be ok as audio still works when moving.

I think I'll mount a printer in the glove box. Lol.

And yes it would be simpler to get a really expensive DD unit but less fun fiddling.

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 13th July 2012 at 11:50..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 19:42   #33
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I just read this email

"You have a shipment being sent from RS COMPONENTS LTD that is due to be despatched on 13/07/2012 using our Express 24 service"

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 19:58   #34
Steve916
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I just read this email

"You have a shipment being sent from RS COMPONENTS LTD that is due to be despatched on 13/07/2012 using our Express 24 service"

Good news!
You should get it in the morning then. Make sure you're at home
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Old 13th July 2012, 21:36   #35
Adamsapples

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Pi

Had my Pi for a few weeks now. And my rover just a few weeks more. Still getting to grips with both
Adamsapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 01:52   #36
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
My set up will be slightly different. I will hook up the Raspberry Pi (a simple computer costing around £ 20) to my Highline setup. Simply put, I will have a computer set up to use the display in the front of the car (highline). What you do with the computer is much the same as you can do with a home pc.

Games
Films
Music
Internet
etc.

Until it arrives and I get chance to play with it I am only guessing at what may be possible. The Pi is quite a simple machine but it can display HD video and I think I saw somewhere it could play Quake the quite old video game. The pi has USB ports so you can plug any USB device into it. Getting the USB device to work may be a challenge though.

Edit: Forgot to say, the pi is about the size of a pack of cards. My idea is to mount it in the boot and control it with a small wireless keyboard and touch pad. This of course would have to be done when the car is stationary.

I would also have the feature of the highline unit cutting the display if the car is moving although playing pre selected music would be ok as audio still works when moving.

I think I'll mount a printer in the glove box. Lol.

And yes it would be simpler to get a really expensive DD unit but less fun fiddling.
this is the same plan as i have once it arrives paired with one if these http://riiminikeyboards.com/
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 01:59   #37
phenonix
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2001 Club Sedan V6 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenonix View Post
i've already got that one, got it for my Ddin Internet mod, won't be able to try it soon though to see if its compatible with the Pi, too busy.
Can now confirm that keyboard works
phenonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 05:35   #38
Steve916
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenonix View Post
Can now confirm that keyboard works
Thanks Joe

Old 14th July 2012, 05:41   #39
phenonix
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2001 Club Sedan V6 2.5

Attachment 15226

Pi Internet, pretty amazing what it can do considering the size of it!
Now trying to get XBMC working

Last edited by phenonix; 29th October 2019 at 05:19..
phenonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 05:46   #40
Steve916
This is my second home

Nice one
I'm off out to a meet today, but I'll check in later to see how you have got on with different program's.
Please post up links for the software if you get chance.
Looking promising so far though

Ps if there's any probs with xbmc, you could always try VLC media player if they do a version for Linux