Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2011, 15:39   #1
DJK
Regular poster

ZT-T+ CDTi Auto

Default Which DVB-T Box?

Now that my DD unit is in and almost fully functional, just got the steering wheel controls to sort out. Thoughts are turning to installing a TV tuner.

It would be good to know what experience any one has regarding the benefit of a twin diversity dual antenna input digital TV tuner/receiver over a single antenna unit.

I know the theory about two antennas being better than one and setting one in a horizontal plane and the other vertical and all that, what I'm looking for is real piratical experience.

The
twin diversity dual antenna input digital TV tuner/receiver units are about 30/50% more expensive than the single units and I'm trying to understand if the extra expense is worth it?

Again I know a lot depends on signal strength, location etc, but if anyone has experience of using both in a comparable situation I'd appreciate the benefit of their experience and knowledge.

Thanks
David

MG ZT-T CDTi, X Power Grey, Auto, Full Leather
Mod's (so far)

EGR Bypass
Common Rail Tuning Box
Dual Din Radio/GPS/Etc.

MG TF 115 "Cool Blue" SE in Startlight Sliver
standard as it left the factory (at the moment)
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 10:13   #2
StuBlake13
Loves to post

2003 Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Tourer Dover White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK View Post
Now that my DD unit is in and almost fully functional, just got the steering wheel controls to sort out. Thoughts are turning to installing a TV tuner.

It would be good to know what experience any one has regarding the benefit of a twin diversity dual antenna input digital TV tuner/receiver over a single antenna unit.

I know the theory about two antennas being better than one and setting one in a horizontal plane and the other vertical and all that, what I'm looking for is real piratical experience.

The twin diversity dual antenna input digital TV tuner/receiver units are about 30/50% more expensive than the single units and I'm trying to understand if the extra expense is worth it?

Again I know a lot depends on signal strength, location etc, but if anyone has experience of using both in a comparable situation I'd appreciate the benefit of their experience and knowledge.

Thanks
David
lOl I'll let you know when I finally manage to get either powered up my car. I'm having fun playing hunt the switched live and how best to patch it in using either crimp connectors, scotchloks or soldering...lol
StuBlake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 11:47   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK View Post
The twin diversity dual antenna input digital TV tuner/receiver units are about 30/50% more expensive than the single units and I'm trying to understand if the extra expense is worth it?
If you looking at Sean's two TV receivers - I have the more expensive one fitted, in my ex- Hi-line car and working off the two built-in Rover TV antennas.

My TV reception is absolutely great in the car. It is rock solid with my car parked in the drive alongside the house, probably better than my house reception and definately much better than my caravan's reception which is also parked in the drive and with its antenna several feet higher than the car.

I don't think it is all just down to the fact that it has two antenna inputs, because it works just as well in the above circumstances, when either of the two antennas is unplugged. My guess therefore has to be that it is a very sensitive receiver.

Also keep in mind, that the Hi-line's rear screen antenna amp expect its 12v supply to be fed up the coax from the receiver, rather than via a separate 12v cable, the cheaper unit cannot do this - so the built-in antennas cannot be used at all with the cheaper unit. The only issue I found, was that the plug ends on the two antennas need to be cut off and the appropriate F-plugs fitted, I documented all of this some months ago.

So I would say definately worth the extra cost and especially so if you have the built-in twin antennas.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote