Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th April 2011, 17:02   #1
Fingers21
Regular poster

'53 zt turbo

Default Very strange noise

Hi all, I've been reading the forum posts for a week or so now and finally picked up my zt turbo last night, so decided to join up.

I absolutely love the car so far, but am having problems finding a noise. It sounds like a really bad wheel bearing hum, I think from the back, but can't tell for sure.
When I got the car, the back discs and pads were SHOT, so thought it could have been that, replaced them today, still have the noise, absolutely no play on either back wheel, side to side or top to bottom and can't here a hum if I spin the wheels by hand.

Onto the front, I found major play in the front passenger wheel, so bought a wheel bearing, but before I fitted it, I found the track rod ends are pooped, so replaced them both sides, now I have absolutely no play in the front wheels either. But the noise is still there. It's a loud enough rumble to not be able to drown it out with the radio! I got the front off the floor on stands and started then engine, put it in third and let the wheels spin away, absolutely silent with my head next to each wheel, no hum. I'm now stuck! Could it still be a bearing? Knackered drive shaft? With the front wheels spinning and car off the floor, the drivers side spins a lot faster than the passenger side.

Thanks in advance
Fingers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 17:20   #2
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers21 View Post
Hi all, I've been reading the forum posts for a week or so now and finally picked up my zt turbo last night, so decided to join up.

I absolutely love the car so far, but am having problems finding a noise. It sounds like a really bad wheel bearing hum, I think from the back, but can't tell for sure.
When I got the car, the back discs and pads were SHOT, so thought it could have been that, replaced them today, still have the noise, absolutely no play on either back wheel, side to side or top to bottom and can't here a hum if I spin the wheels by hand.

Onto the front, I found major play in the front passenger wheel, so bought a wheel bearing, but before I fitted it, I found the track rod ends are pooped, so replaced them both sides, now I have absolutely no play in the front wheels either. But the noise is still there. It's a loud enough rumble to not be able to drown it out with the radio! I got the front off the floor on stands and started then engine, put it in third and let the wheels spin away, absolutely silent with my head next to each wheel, no hum. I'm now stuck! Could it still be a bearing? Knackered drive shaft? With the front wheels spinning and car off the floor, the drivers side spins a lot faster than the passenger side.

Thanks in advance
How worn are the tyres? are they cheapies? the Zt is prone to a loud hum when tyres worn uneven. New tyres cured my hum. Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 18:16   #3
Fingers21
Regular poster

'53 zt turbo

3 are brand new pirelli tyres, one is a cheapy and is probably has about 5000 miles left on it. But the hum noise is way to loud to be a tyre, I think.
Old 12th April 2011, 18:20   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

You might be surprised. Why not swap some wheels around and compare.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 18:31   #5
BIG LEK
Banned

Rover 75

I totally agree tyres can cause this sort of problem,so it is well worth changing the tyres around,
BIG LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 19:00   #6
Fingers21
Regular poster

'53 zt turbo

Wow, I had no idea tyres could cause a problem like this, I will be trying it first thing in the morning. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:44   #7
Fingers21
Regular poster

'53 zt turbo

Ok, switched the tyres around and didn't notice any difference, so 2 new rear hubs are going on today, hopefully that cures the noise and it doesn't turn out to be front bearings, as I haven't got a press! Or worse still, driveshafts!
Old 13th April 2011, 22:26   #8
Fingers21
Regular poster

'53 zt turbo

Quick update, both rear wheel bearings changed and the car is perfect, finally! The old bearings were ********! 5 balls in one side and 3 in the other!