Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th June 2011, 15:25   #1
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Default General Coolant Temperature / Fan question

Just tried using the On Board Diagnostics to monitor my Coolant Temperature and Fans.

I started the test after a short run - I did the test standing still at idle - and it was at 85 Degrees. It climbed to 100 and I could hear the Fan kick in, then after a couple of minutes, the Temp dropped to 95 and the Fan shut off, I then revved the car at 1500 Rpm and the Coolant temp dropped down to 86 Degrees before starting to climb back up to 100 again the Fan kicked in and although taking a little longer this time, dropped the Temp back down to 95 before the cooling fan stopped.

I know the Car has a 2 or 3 Speed fan, so what Temp ranges do the other 2 kick in at and should I be able to hear them from the Cabin or do I need to look through the Grill to see if they are spinning?

I assume the test I did shows that the Cooling system is circulating normally and the Fan is doing what it should?
Old 16th June 2011, 16:26   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

A 2000 reg V6 originally had the 3-speed system. Yours seems to be still in working order. Here are the set points for when the fan is tripped by the coolant temperature.

96 -100°C = Low
102 -106°C = Medium
108 - 112°C = High

Equally important is that the slow speed runs continuously when the aircon system is operating, even if the coolant is below 96°C.

I think you have no issues with the coolant circulation, but double check that the V between the heads is free of coolant puddles or pink stains. These engines tend to suffer coolant loss from the plastic housing containing the thermostat.
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 16:33   #3
carlpenn
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
A 2000 reg V6 originally had the 3-speed system. Yours seems to be still in working order. Here are the set points for when the fan is tripped by the coolant temperature.

96 -100°C = Low
102 -106°C = Medium
108 - 112°C = High

Equally important is that the slow speed runs continuously when the aircon system is operating, even if the coolant is below 96°C.

I think you have no issues with the coolant circulation, but double check that the V between the heads is free of coolant puddles or pink stains. These engines tend to suffer coolant loss from the plastic housing containing the thermostat.

Hiya T-Cut and thank You

I do have a coolant issue, I am in the process of fixing it, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't the Fan causing the overheating / overpressurising of my Coolant, or at least being a part of the Symptoms. My thought being if the Coolant isn't being cooled then overpressurising / overheating will occur.

I have a wobbly Thermostat to correct and a new inlet Manifold Gasket to fit.

I will check the Aircon one later.

Happy Days lol...
Old 16th June 2011, 18:29   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpenn View Post
I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't the fan causing the overheating / overpressurising of my coolant ...
Carl,

From what you've said, your fan appears to be working properly.

Simon.
Old 16th June 2011, 18:37   #5
carlpenn
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Carl,

From what you've said, your fan appears to be working properly.

Simon.
Hiya Simon

Yep, it looks ok, I have read quite a few threads on here where members have had brushes go etc, so thought I would have a play and check.

Any excuse to get in the 75