Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th November 2015, 17:11   #1
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Default My MG6 thread

I thought I would start a thread on my MG6 to note any modifications,faults and general how its performing compared to my 75 and ZT-T.

I picked the car up on the 24th of October and the car had just been serviced, its currently on 31,000 miles.

its a white MG6 GT SE and was registered in November 2013 so just under two years old when I bought it.

Compared to the 75 its not as plush inside however is pretty well screwed together and is well specced.

fuel economy on my 4.5 mile journey back and forward to work is working out at 35mpg so pretty good.

IMG_0575.jpg
Old 9th November 2015, 17:29   #2
ricardo65
This is my second home

mgzt cdti 160.mgzt 1.8t mg6 1.8t

Thanked 1,652 Times in 969 Posts

Nice car keep us updated will read with interest
ricardo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 15:42   #3
MattyC
Gets stuck in

MG6 1.8 Turbo TSE in Burnt Orange

I assume you have the TCi Tech (1.8T K'er). You will love it mate!! I've had nothing but pleasure from mine. Lots of toys (I have a TSE), very comfortable, strangely economical for the engine, especially on a run, plenty of power when you press the go faster pedal, lovely exhaust note, silent on idle/below 3000rpm, but when you open her up, you'll notice just about everyone will look, and the feedback from local "cruisers" (young chavs with Corsa's and the like) is it sounds immense, and the engine/exhaust note makes it sound "very" powerful (they don't believe it is only 8.4s to 60 and 160bhp).

Despite what the media say, the naysayers, and generally those who have never been near the car or lived with one, they are well built, and MG really do look after you. I had a suspension arm replaced at it's second service due to slight play in the CV joint, no hassle, all authorised by MG within days despite it being defined by myself, and the dealership as wear and tear.

You will enjoy. The only downside, is the market values of them, they depreciate faster than an Alfa lol. But if you like it, and can afford it, then why not?!

JWMC are still looking into the possibility of a remap to the 200bhp'ish region, but the limiting factor is the gearbox ECU apparently restricts the torque to 235nm, which is barely higher than standard (215 iirc). So it will require a piggyback ECU system to remap it properly (you could technically increase power without torque, but the car needs torque more than power to improve performance).

One thing to note though, make sure you have the upgraded throttle map. The standard one is performance-orientated, and as such is extremely urgent and quite harsh. Pulling away smoothly is uncomfortable and will eventually result in premature clutch wear due to the amount of riding you will do. They never do the throttle map upgrade as standard, but get it done, it makes a world of difference!! They might charge you £40 for this, but a decent dealership won't - just tell them you have an issue where it's pulling away really harshly and MG will approve under warranty without a problem.

Master the hill hold control (clutch and gear in, footbrake engaged, then remove handbrake and pull away as normal), and also use anti-stall (bring the clutch up slowly without revs from a standaing start in 1st or reverse) to manoeuvre around car parks and the like, and you will find the experience smoother.

All in all, you've bought a very comfortable, capable car, and you will enjoy driving it. Well done!

Mods: 17" meteor wheels | Steve916's Auto boot lifters | Leather electric memory seats | Dynavin Android DD Headunit | MG7 grille (was a V8 grille, long story!) | SEAT Leon Cupra splitter (colour coded) | ZT sideskirts | BigRuss/marinabrian 160 remap | Roverron Synergy 2A | Arctics Modified Handbrake Compensator

Thanks to those who've helped, providing advice and info, supplying/manufacturing parts, even fitting things for me!

Last edited by MattyC; 11th November 2015 at 15:45..
MattyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2015, 17:19   #4
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Hi Matt

Thanks very much for the comments! it is a 1.8 TCi tech, I had read on the facebook page that a lot of people seem to have problems with the engine being jerky and riding the clutch but mine drives really well and iv never found myself riding the clutch to pull away smoothly so it must have the revised map, I was also worried about the clutch when I bought the car after reading all the comments but it pulls fine and no clutch slip at all.

The only thing im waiting on coming is the map sd card, the dealer I bought it from sent me an sd card but its not the correct one for the car, I contacted navteq (or here maps as they are now called) but they were unable to give me the unlock code and told me to go back to the dealer so im waiting on a new sd card being authorised then sent out. only thing is its not an MG dealer I bought it from but they did promise to get it working for me when I bought the car.

im really enjoying the car and although I was worried at first after buying it if I had done the right thing im now in no doubt that I have
Old 18th November 2015, 18:33   #5
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Car has been going great...however had a very slight hiccup this morning in that it wouldn't start! in the pouring rain and wind too! so I swapped the keys over, and tried again, still wouldn't start, tried locking it and unlocking, still nothing.....popped the bonnet and messed about, no joy, touched the starter connection and the car burst into life! a hangover from the old 25/45 etc as I remember cleaning loads of starter connections on those!

in the cars defence its missing its undertray so with all the wet weather im not surprised if the water has been splashed up onto the starter, the undertray on these is actually three parts so having had a look underneath today its missing the front two parts and im not sure on the third rear section so I will get it checked out and the missing undertrays ordered up!

however the sd card arrived at the dealer today so will get that collected and report back
Old 18th November 2015, 18:46   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Banana is looking forward to meeting one of her younger sisters.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 19:17   #7
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Hi Thomas good see you're enjoying the car. The loose cable is a common fault. I nearly bought a 15 plate diesel tse wth 1500 miles the other month I was offered for £6000.... They are becoming great value for money and I wish you all the best
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 07:10   #8
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
Hi Thomas good see you're enjoying the car. The loose cable is a common fault. I nearly bought a 15 plate diesel tse wth 1500 miles the other month I was offered for £6000.... They are becoming great value for money and I wish you all the best
Thanks very much! that was a bargain price for the 15 plate!

Mine has been going well, I received the sat nav sd card and got it working with the car, maps look quite good and seems to work well enough although I haven't been going anywhere much to really test it out!
Old 26th November 2015, 10:59   #9
MattyC
Gets stuck in

MG6 1.8 Turbo TSE in Burnt Orange

Yes, as said, the connections are a common fault. Mine always started pretty much instant (unlike the started on the '3) but that is a small reported issue. Not sure if it's a common warranty job, but take it to a dealer - the decent ones will try to rectify! Graham Walker in Chester have always been fantastic for me with regards warranty jobs, and MG ain't shy of authorising things, even wear and tear!

As for a 2015 plate diesel for £6k... bargain of the year!! With 1.5k miles!!!!! Black Friday came early lol. I would have snapped the sellers hand off!

Mods: 17" meteor wheels | Steve916's Auto boot lifters | Leather electric memory seats | Dynavin Android DD Headunit | MG7 grille (was a V8 grille, long story!) | SEAT Leon Cupra splitter (colour coded) | ZT sideskirts | BigRuss/marinabrian 160 remap | Roverron Synergy 2A | Arctics Modified Handbrake Compensator

Thanks to those who've helped, providing advice and info, supplying/manufacturing parts, even fitting things for me!
MattyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 11:20   #10
versus
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 Auto, 2000 year

Thumbs up

looks very nice!
versus is offline   Reply With Quote