Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2018, 13:29   #1
Douzeper

Rover75

Default 2004 75 connoisseur CDTI - no fuel

Hi Folks,

First post here, I have been given a 2004 Rover 75 connoisseur, it has sat idle for 1.5 years and the battery was completely dead. Replaced with a brand new battery, there are no errors on the dash and it turns over brilliantly.

When it was being picked up to be delivered to myself, they jumped it with a jump pack, it didn't immediately start but did about 10 minutes after, it drove perfect. It started later that night again and was delivered to me.

Following day I couldn't get it started with new battery, played around a bit, took fuel lines off and it isn't getting any diesel.

I was about to give up, I banged the fuel filter with my hand, when I turned the ignition on one last time and for the first time I heard the fuel pumps, it started straight away. (banging fuel filter seems to be a coincidence)

I have since been unable to get it started and neither fuel pump makes any noise.

Is there a relay that has perhaps died? or any other idea's?
Douzeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 14:33   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douzeper View Post
Hi Folks,

First post here, I have been given a 2004 Rover 75 connoisseur, it has sat idle for 1.5 years and the battery was completely dead. Replaced with a brand new battery, there are no errors on the dash and it turns over brilliantly.

When it was being picked up to be delivered to myself, they jumped it with a jump pack, it didn't immediately start but did about 10 minutes after, it drove perfect. It started later that night again and was delivered to me.

Following day I couldn't get it started with new battery, played around a bit, took fuel lines off and it isn't getting any diesel.

I was about to give up, I banged the fuel filter with my hand, when I turned the ignition on one last time and for the first time I heard the fuel pumps, it started straight away. (banging fuel filter seems to be a coincidence)

I have since been unable to get it started and neither fuel pump makes any noise.

Is there a relay that has perhaps died? or any other idea's?

Does yours have an underbonnet pump? if so that could certainly be the culprit. Mine died recently but the pump would operate ish once it was tapped a few times when Andy (Trikey) popped round to diagnose the problem.

http://mkon.webs.com/103822_3mg.jpg

It's the pump shown with the yellow arrow.

If you don't have one then i'm sure a more knowledgable person will be along soon to help

Ohhh and welcome ... This place is great for help and info

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 17th January 2018 at 14:36.. Reason: edited to add greeting :)
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 14:39   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If neither fuel pumps are working (assuming the ITP hasn't given up the ghost for good) then sounds like there isn't any power getting to them. They are fed from a common relay, but the first thing to check is that the plenum drains are clear and that the ECM hasn't gone for a swim.

The relay is switched on the negative side by the ECM with key to position II, and the pumps should run for between 30 seconds to a minute if you don't start the engine, depending on which ECM you have fitted.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 17th January 2018 at 15:49..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 18:09   #4
Douzeper

Rover75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Does yours have an underbonnet pump? if so that could certainly be the culprit.

http://mkon.webs.com/103822_3mg.jpg

It's the pump shown with the yellow arrow.

Ohhh and welcome ... This place is great for help and info
Yeah it has that pump, but both pumps ain't working.

Thanks for the welcome & the advice
Old 17th January 2018, 18:10   #5
Douzeper

Rover75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If neither fuel pumps are working (assuming the ITP hasn't given up the ghost for good) then sounds like there isn't any power getting to them. They are fed from a common relay, but the first thing to check is that the plenum drains are clear and that the ECM hasn't gone for a swim.

The relay is switched on the negative side by the ECM with key to position II, and the pumps should run for between 30 seconds to a minute if you don't start the engine, depending on which ECM you have fitted.

Last owner was an avid reader of this forum so he always kept his plenums clean - I double checked today and they are dry.

I'll get a voltage meter on the pump terminals and make sure if they are or are not getting power.

Thanks