Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st February 2017, 18:51   #31
jubbarelly
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180 SE Poseidon, Peugeot 508 GT Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Ok, tried installing the unit today and got a few issues:

1. Connected the blue/purple cable (pin 3) to KEY 1 cable, and blue/orange cable (pin 2) to KEY 2 cable on the stereo loom, using connectors like this:

And when I put the battery back on and go into the menu for setting the steering wheel keys, I press a button from the steering wheel and nothing happens, the menu remains the same, just like this:

2. How can I mount those brackets so that the unit slides into it's place because I have no idea how, make me a picture please with another unit like this showing the brackets position or explain me somehow, because I tried pushing the unit inside, just to see, without the brackets mounted, and it won't go all the way in like it should, it remains like 1 inch out and leaned on it's back with the screen pointing a little bit to the ceiling of the car, and if I try to push the lower part in so it stays in line with the dash, it won't let me and it feels that if I push the lower part in more powerful it will snap lol.

3. I tried both antennas for the radio, the one that connects with the cable from the car, but getting no signal with it, and the other one that you just plug it in the unit, plugged it, tried holding it up, still no signal at all and no radio channel found, tried with both antennas searching both auto and manual for channels.

4. When I turn the unit on, the MG logo shows on the screen, how can I change it to a Rover one? Looked in the guide that came with the unit but there isn't no Car Logo menu for this unit there where it is in the book, looked into all the settings but couldn't find where to change it.

1. If you are not getting a response from the SWC buttons then you have wired it incorrectly. Sounds like your car will need the ground wire connected to either the blue/orange or blue/purple wire on the cars grey ISO plug and either key 1 or key 2 to which ever wire is left out of the blue/orange or blue/purple wires. Its trial and error sometimes.

2. You dont need the brackets, they are there for the BMW E46 fitment.

These stereos fit correctly and the best way to achieve this is to take the ATC panel out so you can get you hand up and behind the stereo to move any cables down and to push the stereo up and in as you fit it. Thats what I do and works everytime.

3. Not sure what you mean by holding it up? I put in the box with all the leads an ISO to DIN Aerial lead which looks like this one here:

Just connect the cars aerial lead to that.

4. You need to go into the factory settings, password is 126, then go to car logo. This isnt in the manual as it is an engineer menu so BE CAREFUL when in this menu!!

Is this the first time you have installed a car stereo of this nature, I just need to know you level of knowledge as it maybe best, as pointed out previously, to get someone who knows about car electronics / stereo fitment who is local to you?

Cheers
Jub

Last edited by jubbarelly; 21st February 2017 at 19:12..
jubbarelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 19:55   #32
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Ok so here we go:

2. Will take down the AC unit tomorrow to get a good grip of the unit and try to push it in it's place, the only question that I'm left with here is if I still have to screw the screws up in the right and left corners which of course I think I should right?

3. Figured that out too, first I put in the unit another cable that you provided and connected it to a wrong wire from the car lol but now popped in the unit the cable that you showed me and connected it to the car aerial lead and now the radio works flawlessly

4. Actually I didn't properly read the manual that you sent me and missed the Factory Settings menu or something like that which is responsible for these things, now found it, accesed it, and succesfully changed my logo, my bad

1. But still, this is the problem which I think will keep stinking, so, to make you understand what I did here, I took a pic:

I put a link so you can click it and zoom, as you can see, pin no. 2 cable (blue/orange) cut from the grey loom and connected to KEY 2, and pin no. 3 cable (blue/purple) cut and connected to KEY 1 cable. Tell me if you see anything wrong here or a suggestion with what should I try to get it work
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 20:05   #33
jubbarelly

Quote:
Ok so here we go:

2. Will take down the AC unit tomorrow to get a good grip of the unit and try to push it in it's place, the only question that I'm left with here is if I still have to screw the screws up in the right and left corners which of course I think I should right?

3. Figured that out too, first I put in the unit another cable that you provided and connected it to a wrong wire from the car lol but now popped in the unit the cable that you showed me and connected it to the car aerial lead and now the radio works flawlessly

4. Actually I didn't properly read the manual that you sent me and missed the Factory Settings menu or something like that which is responsible for these things, now found it, accesed it, and succesfully changed my logo, my bad

1. But still, this is the problem which I think will keep stinking, so, to make you understand what I did here, I took a pic:

I put a link so you can click it and zoom, as you can see, pin no. 2 cable (blue/orange) cut from the grey loom and connected to KEY 2, and pin no. 3 cable (blue/purple) cut and connected to KEY 1 cable. Tell me if you see anything wrong here or a suggestion with what should I try to get it work
2. Yes still put the screws in top left and right

3. Awesome!

4. More Awesomness!!

1. Looks correct, try swapping the wires over... If that still doesnt work then you will need to connect a black (ground wire) to either the blue/purple or blue/orange wire from the cars black (ground wire) on the cars stereo loom. OR to a screw on the stereos body.

Cheers
Jub
Old 21st February 2017, 20:46   #34
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

So if swapping the wires won't work you're saying that I have to take a ground wire from the car's stereo loom and connect it to one of the blue wires OR somehow connect just one of the blue wires (don't matter which) to a screw on the unit's metal frame, right?
Old 21st February 2017, 20:58   #35
jubbarelly

Quote:
So if swapping the wires won't work you're saying that I have to take a ground wire from the car's stereo loom and connect it to one of the blue wires OR somehow connect just one of the blue wires (don't matter which) to a screw on the unit's metal frame, right?
Yes mate

You still need to connect one wire to either key 1 or key 2 on the stereo loom aswell.

So example...

blue/orange or blue/purple wire connect to a black (ground wire) on the car stereo loom OR to a screw on the stereo casing (I recommend to the cars stereo loom) and the other left over wire either blue/orange or blue/purple to key 1 or key 2 on the stereo loom.

off to bed now lol.

Cheers
Jub
Old 22nd February 2017, 07:28   #36
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Can you please tell me which black ground cable from the car's loom and where to cut it from? Please look for a picture with the car's loom on the internet and attach it here because, for example, if I cut a ground cable from the car's loom and connect it to KEY2 from the unit for example, then I cut the ground that maybe was used for another cable and maybe another thing won't work then anymore if you know what I mean Thanks for all the patience and help, I am very grateful for them
Old 22nd February 2017, 08:05   #37
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Can you please tell me which black ground cable from the car's loom and where to cut it from? Please look for a picture with the car's loom on the internet and attach it here because, for example, if I cut a ground cable from the car's loom and connect it to KEY2 from the unit for example, then I cut the ground that maybe was used for another cable and maybe another thing won't work then anymore if you know what I mean Thanks for all the patience and help, I am very grateful for them
I'm not trying to offend you, but I think it sounds like you may need to visit someone who has had experience fitting these stereos before as they will be able to probably sort it all out and show you how it all works
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 08:38   #38
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I will try sorting it out on my own when I get home from work and I will let you know if I succeeded, and if not then yeah I will bring the car to a car electrician, by the way, thanks for all the help provided
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:02   #39
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
I will try sorting it out on my own when I get home from work and I will let you know if I succeeded, and if not then yeah I will bring the car to a car electrician, by the way, thanks for all the help provided
Your photo below... keep the Brown Key1 wire connected to the Blue/Purple loom wire.
Then connect the loom Blue/Orange wire, or extend it and connect to the stereos body using a screw or bolt (leave the Red Key2 wire unconnected).

Similar to my photo below... its not a Xtrons unit, but the principle should be the same.

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 19:59   #40
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Dallas, I read your post after already making figuring it out haha I didn't want to make something not work by cutting a ground wire from the car's loom so I decided to simply unconnect the KEY2 cable out from the Blue/Orange wire, and instead of the KEY2 wire, connect a simple wire that I found in my garage to a screw sitting behind the unit (not from the unit but from the back side "wall" of where the unit is placed) to the Blue/Orange wire through the connector shown in my photo, and, finally, it works! Connected the GPS antenna too and glued it right beneath the dash near the passenger side as you have just enough space in there to slide your arm in. Man it feels so good getting the whole job done all by myself But just 2 small issues left:

1. Even though I fitted the SWC by myself and got it working, found a little issue with it, when listening to radio (I've only tried listening to radio, usb and from unit's storage), the commands work always, but when listening to usb and from storage, they work too but not always, like sometimes I press the volume buttons, they work, and sometimes not, but strangely the mode button works always when playing from internal storage and usb too, so the issue is not from the cable connections, if that would be the case, I will have the same problem when listening to radio too

2. I've had quite a struggle pushing the unit inside because the small fitting brackets from above the unit (not the extra ones that jubbarelly told me that only need to be fitted to BMWs), are just a little bigger and I've had to quite push strong on them to get them right near the brackets from the inside frame, managed to do it, but still, it seems to me that it could go in more, like about 1/4th of an inch, I will attach here photos so that someone can tell me if that's the natural position or if I should try pushing it more in: