Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th June 2016, 06:46   #11
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

My phone was OFF so it had no way of sending it information.

I am not sure how it could have received free WIFI as I was traveling at 70mph.

How ever it was working it was very similar in the way my Garmin works with Nulink.

It was definitely live info.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 07:10   #12
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
My phone was OFF so it had no way of sending it information.

I am not sure how it could have received free WIFI as I was traveling at 70mph.

How ever it was working it was very similar in the way my Garmin works with Nulink.

It was definitely live info.
How do you know it was live data and not historical traffic ?
Old 28th June 2016, 13:56   #13
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
How do you know it was live data and not historical traffic ?
Because as I drove south it said it was a delay and the further I drove the longer the delay apparently was. As I said the system seemed to know exactly where to bring me out and I rejoined just after the jack knifed lorry straddling the barriers on the fast lane on both the north and south.

On my drive on Friday going north there had apparently been an accident on the M42 and as I approached the said road it flashed telling me there was an option to avoid said delay.

I know you are finding this hard to believe but it really was trying to get me around the congestion. The reason I know it was not my phone was the battery was flat as I forgot to take a charger with me.

Steve
Old 28th June 2016, 14:01   #14
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Because as I drove south it said it was a delay and the further I drove the longer the delay apparently was. As I said the system seemed to know exactly where to bring me out and I rejoined just after the jack knifed lorry straddling the barriers on the fast lane on both the north and south.

On my drive on Friday going north there had apparently been an accident on the M42 and as I approached the said road it flashed telling me there was an option to avoid said delay.

I know you are finding this hard to believe but it really was trying to get me around the congestion. The reason I know it was not my phone was the battery was flat as I forgot to take a charger with me.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Nothing hard to believe but having historical traffic switched on acts as though it is getting live updates .
There is no TMC built into the units and their only way of receiving live updates is through 3G/Wifi connections, unless of course you have a rogue Navall3 with some different chip set which I never noticed when preparing it for you

Also, just to add when navigation is first booted if you are sitting on your drive or elsewhere before moving off and the unit connects to a wifi connection nearby it will preload all known traffic congestion problems in advance

Last edited by coolcat; 28th June 2016 at 14:06..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 16:11   #15
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:

Also, just to add when navigation is first booted if you are sitting on your drive or elsewhere before moving off and the unit connects to a wifi connection nearby it will preload all known traffic congestion problems in advance
That is a good idea but I had been on the road 5 hours by then and the jack knifed lorry had not happened when I left. Maybe it was getting WiFi from coaches or something. Very odd.
Old 28th June 2016, 16:31   #16
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
That is a good idea but I had been on the road 5 hours by then and the jack knifed lorry had not happened when I left. Maybe it was getting WiFi from coaches or something. Very odd.
Got to be something like that, either way it got you out of a jam..... pun intended

Last edited by coolcat; 28th June 2016 at 17:56..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 16:44   #17
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Got to be something like that, either way it got you out of a jam pun intended
Indeed it did, I am very happy with it most of the time. I just wish it would go into very slow talking mode sometimes. When it does this I just turn the sound off.
Old 28th June 2016, 16:54   #18
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Indeed it did, I am very happy with it most of the time. I just wish it would go into very slow talking mode sometimes. When it does this I just turn the sound off.
It's only the TTS voices that do that, the natural voices don't, you will however lose the street announcements
Old 29th June 2016, 09:09   #19
MikeJohn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Re the slow voices. I installed "Vocalizer" text to speech after trying several. That has options so the TTS engine can override the requested speed, plus many others, it seems to fix the drunken slur completely.

It actually transforms the system - with what I think are much clearer voices, it says "A" as in A30 properly - the "I" that Pico does was not good.

My understanding is that IGO on Android always uses the Android TTS engine, not the IGO one, so whatever TTS voice you choose in IGO it always uses the one configured in Android. That was very confusing when I first set it up.

Vocaliser voices are about £3 each and can be had on a months free trial so it is well worth a play and find one you like. Try and connect via WIFI though unless you have a good data allowance as they are almost 70Mb each to download.

You can add your own pronunciations as well - so I think when time allows to fiddle you could probably change "Traffic Light" to "Traffic Lights" and "Highway" to "Motorway".

You can find vocalizer on the Google play store. £3 well spent in my view!

Mike John
MikeJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 11:12   #20
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

With regards to the traffic diversions I've had this a few times without any kind of wi fi connection and I don't get it if I'm on the same road travelling at normal speed, possibly if you are stationary or crawling along it has some free time to suggest alternative routes rather than having magical powers
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote