Notices

Old 25th June 2016, 20:26   #11
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Nor what it was when I was young. Like you, toyed with the idea of taking the exams for 35 years. Working all over the country I just couldn't spare the time and I wanted to do the full course at college. I then got a 'home every night' job, which gave me the opportunity, so i took it. As I had been pestered to expect, it was remarkably easy for me, with my background.

I just managed to catch a decade or so of the more interesting years of AR, the well attended rallies, the activity on the bands etc.. Now it seems hardly worth installing a transceiver in the car.
Harry, just like you I would have sailed through the RAE. I find now that many amateurs seem like an elitist bunch, their QSO's seem pointless and now with the foundation exam there is far less conversations that have anything to do with Radio!
I still build many things from test equipment to projects using those amazing Russian Rod Pentode valves.
Just wish I was younger!
Old 27th June 2016, 14:01   #12
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Amateur Radio certainly isn't what it was when I was young. I still do a lot of SWL but these days its just awful where I live, Short wave is obliterated by powerline LAN's and SMPS.
I toyed with the idea of doing the exams a few years back but never got round to it.
Even now the CR100, Lafayette and the loan of a Perseus are spoiled by noise, there is very little activity on 2 meters around this neck of the woods so unfortunately my enthusiasm hasn't been rekindled.
While it's certainly true that the SMPS, Plasma TV's, PLT LAN's etc are taking their toll but the more modern DSP equipment has the capabilities of taking care, albeit not getting rid totally, of a lot of that qrm type rubbish!
I'm quite suprised by the Perseus not being able to cut it down Trevor, you must be located in a noise-magnet

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 15:33   #13
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason6 View Post
While it's certainly true that the SMPS, Plasma TV's, PLT LAN's etc are taking their toll but the more modern DSP equipment has the capabilities of taking care, albeit not getting rid totally, of a lot of that qrm type rubbish!
I'm quite suprised by the Perseus not being able to cut it down Trevor, you must be located in a noise-magnet
Snag is I am.
I have a Wellbrook ALA1530 which is about as good as you can get but I still get noise, The problems are odd with noise between 12mhz and 1.6mhz, usually up at S7-9, makes the hobby a waste of time.
Old 29th June 2016, 21:55   #14
Catherine Lake

QSK de G7KTL

Passed my RAE at the age of 16 (in 1991) as part of my GCSEs. ;-)
Old 30th June 2016, 19:32   #15
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Wink

Who knew us lot have good taste in spades, 75 owners and good old 'Hams' de MM0XXW

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 19:58   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Harry, just like you I would have sailed through the RAE. I find now that many amateurs seem like an elitist bunch, their QSO's seem pointless and now with the foundation exam there is far less conversations that have anything to do with Radio!

It was always thus

I still build many things from test equipment to projects using those amazing Russian Rod Pentode valves.

That was one of the real pleasures of my life, designing and building that which I could not buy. There is not much now which cannot be bought cheaper and ready made.

Just wish I was younger!
Don't we all?

When I did it, there were a surprising number on the course, who like me could have got through without the course. They were just doing it for interests sake.

If you do get a chance, take the exam. If nothing else, it gives you access to a lot of like minded people you wouldn't normally rub shoulders with.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote