Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd August 2016, 13:03   #41
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

My BMW used to have the traffic warning on its satnav, the road would get progressively closer together black markings to show traffic build up. I got it once on the M6 and hit the i drive button for the alternative route and turned off only to find everyone else must have done the same thing. Turned around at next roundabout and back in to M6 to grin and bear it. Absolute waste of time taking the detour
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 17:43   #42
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPol View Post
If I were guessing, I'd suggest it's similar to Tomtom's IQ routes feature - the map has data of average traffic flows in the area embedded in it and knows that between time A and time B road C tends to be congested, and will suggest avoidance based on this historical knowledge - that it happens to map onto what's happening here and now for you is just a feature of the same thing having happened often at the same time on the same day on the same road in the past.

"It be half past three on the third monday of the month, 'appen be there be cows on the road as Farmer Jones moves fields at that time - best avoid that bit" basically.
Sounds plausible but it has taken me past an accident on a Sunday morning on the M1, it was so accurate it took me off the Junction just before the traffic lady on the radio said the traffic was tailing back and actually took me through the most bizarre route than only a local would know and took me right back to the M1 at the junction the Truck was across the crash barrier.

I have a system on my Garmin that does this but there is a subscription charge, works well and in my view worth every penny but as far as I am aware I don't subscribe to any such system on my ZTT.

Last edited by SCP440; 22nd August 2016 at 17:46..
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:26   #43
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Sounds almost certainly like its TMC (Traffic Message Channel) which is transmitted via FM RDS (Radio Data System), usually on the Classic FM frequency.

While I'm not sure that the Navall units have built in hardware TMC capability, the Primo iGo app almost certainly is software licenced.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 08:21   #44
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

This weekend we visited some rellies in Wells like we do several times a year and to be honest I don't need the SatNav but I put it on just in case.

Sunday morning we set off as usual and for some reason when I was on the M4 it was telling me to go down to Bristol rather that the usual route of via Bath. SWMBO told me to ''ignore the stupid thing'' and as I was about to pull off I noticed a huge line of traffic exiting the motorway going to the Sunday market in Bath. That traffic must have been several miles long so it saved us a long wait.

We did as told by ''the stupid thing'' and arrived we no traffic problems going via Bristol.

On the way home it told us to come back via the M5, it has never done that before but guess what apparently there was incident on the M4 ( our usual route).

Either I have a guardian angel or my Navall 3 is getting the knowledge from somewhere and it is not my Mobile phone.

Steve
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote