Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th June 2016, 15:08   #1
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default 1st outing with the V6 towing.

Just returned from our first outing towing our Coachman 520/4 ViP.

We made the relatively short trip to one of our favourite sites, Redgates at Maidens. It's just along the road from Trump Turnberry as its now known and the top man himself was visiting this weekend for the official re opening.

I think my invitation must have got lost in the post.
There was certainly plenty of security with at least one person at every entrance to the famous golf course and of course there were a few choppers going around.

We spotted Trump himself leaving in his own chopper doing a full circuit of the course and hotel before flying back to Prestwick I assume as I think it's from there he flies in & out on his various trips over to Turnberry.

I'm not a great lover of the man but he has done wonders transforming Turnberry hotel and golf course and creating some new jobs here in Ayrshire

Sorry for getting side tracked but yes the V6 performed well towing the van returning approx 23 mpg so I'm happy enough with that.
Amazingly the tow bar did not fall to pieces or kill anyone and yes I know I've promised photos, but I'm still catching up on quite a few jobs.

I'm now all set for towing the van for the Gretna meet next month.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 15:37   #2
Si-monogram
Banned

MG ZTT TYPHOON 180, PPD 75 CDTI 160, METRO 1.3 A+, ABARTH TURISMO 595, MG ZS V6, 75 duotone tourer

We towed ours to Wales (brecon) and the hills did cause a few moments of clenched butt. It did perform well but I definitely think my diesel 75 will be taking the reigns as chief tow vehicle.
Si-monogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 16:27   #3
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-monogram View Post
We towed ours to Wales (brecon) and the hills did cause a few moments of clenched butt. It did perform well but I definitely think my diesel 75 will be taking the reigns as chief tow vehicle.
Hi.
The only thing I'd say about a high revving engined car with a manual box is the possibility of burning out the clutch starting on a hill.
I dislike manuals for towing, cant beat an auto
Old 28th June 2016, 06:02   #4
Si-monogram
Banned

MG ZTT TYPHOON 180, PPD 75 CDTI 160, METRO 1.3 A+, ABARTH TURISMO 595, MG ZS V6, 75 duotone tourer

Yeah, the tourer is an auto. The hills were pretty steep in Wales and some are long and steep which pushed the v6 right to its limit I think. I used the lower numbered gears to help the cause. I kept an eye on the temperature aswell as that seemed to creep up to around 103 and then down again but this was only when going up hill. The rest of the time it stayed between 88 and 93.
Si-monogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 07:13   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

When I had my first caravan, a Ci Sprite Major almost 30 years ago I towed it with the SD1 Vitesse.

When I did the resto on the Vitesse I removed the tow bar as I did a custom rear end with duplex exhaust.

The Vitesse was a great tow car and was a manual but had loads of torque from its V8 engine. I remember taking a round a bout in 5th gear going all the way round (3rd exit) and pulling away with ease. On the motorway you only had to drop to 4th gear on a few occasions.

My main tow car is now the XF and it's the best tow car I've had by far as it has twin turbos which keep it "whistling" along. You have to be careful not to overspeed though.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote