Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th June 2016, 14:56   #11
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Tried it and ditched it. Rubbish upgrade. Horrid interface (or should that be interfarce?). No faster. Retrograde change
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 19:13   #12
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
My PC was automatically upgraded to Windows 10 and I reverted back to 7, but like you I cant Bluetooth my photo's from my phone anymore.
Here's a thought, you CAN use a cable. No BT required and much more secure. Or you could use ES File explorer to map your PC as a network drive. My BT picks up next doors mobile, so it would be easy to hack if I wanted to, told him many times but he doesn't do anything about it, because it's too much hassle. Most people never change the default BT password either.
Old 30th June 2016, 19:18   #13
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Bout time we all threw Microsoft out of the window and moved to a distro run by decent people.
It actually is here already.................. Linux. Plenty of choice for differing purposes all and the more it's used the more software will be available.
I totally agree with you. I was trained in unix/zenix and it was always way more secure, even before it (sort of) morphed into Linux, the problem has always been the lack of software for Linux that the average user is familiar with, most people are scared to try anything new.
Old 1st July 2016, 18:03   #14
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Microsoft does not and cannot (legally) invalidate your older product key - you're fine to reinstall your previous version from disc and activate with the same key again - I've done it!

I'd recommend all users upgrade to 10, even if they then immediately roll back to their old version; once 'upgraded' Microsoft creates a new "key" on their servers and as long as the hardware still matches, you can then install 10 at a later date, even after the free upgrade period has ended.

That said, Microsoft's licensing is a mess, changes every few years, and not cheap. If you can cope with the change then Linux is worth a go, though I struggle with it myself.
Old 1st July 2016, 20:32   #15
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector-9 View Post
Microsoft does not and cannot (legally) invalidate your older product key - you're fine to reinstall your previous version from disc and activate with the same key again - I've done it!
You were very lucky. If you read the Win 10 T&C's fully they state that after a period of 30 days the product key to reinstall your previous O/S is no longer valid (hence the reason you can't legally go back), it may be that MS don't actually invalidate your key, or the key may allow you to reinstall, however in either case it's against their terms and as such you would be using a technically illegal copy, they could prevent 7 from working at any time they choose, the deal is basically if you continue to use 10 past 30 days, then you have no right to go back to your previous OS (Nothing is really for free)

Did you also know that Windows 7 has been restricted on the Skylake platform, so that it won't install updates past 2017? even though mainstream support doesn't finish until 2020.
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:13   #16
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

I'd love to see the legality of that, being as you've paid for the original license (either directly or indirectly) and MS have been upgrading people to 10 without explicit permission or acceptance of the new EULA. However, the original product key should not be re-used whilst the upgrade is installed (i.e. no using the old key on another machine after upgrading to 10 on this one). I believe they explained the upgrade as adding digital entitlement to 10 to your existing product key, however you still only have the one license, whether you use it for 10 or the previous version.
Old 2nd July 2016, 08:25   #17
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

You would be very brave to take on MS, that's probably why they get away with it (and the way they have been pushing W10).
Old 2nd July 2016, 19:28   #18
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Unfortunately I agree - pretty much a textbook example of bullying I'd still recommend people use FOSS such as Linux, but overcoming the 'inertia' and learning curve is something most people (myself included I'm ashamed to say) simply can't be bothered with. Thankfully there are those - such as the EU - big enough to take on MS and hit them where it hurts. The rest of us simply have to vote with our feet, or mice as the case may be.