Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th June 2016, 19:04   #1
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Default Hard brake pedal after driving a while

Bit of an odd one.

If I drive for say 20 miles without using the brakes, when I do come to use them the pedal requires a lot more force than usual and doesn't seem to slow the car down anywhere near as much as usual.

If I then apply the brakes again - fine.

Thinking something vacuum related.

Any ideas?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 19:27   #2
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Vacuum or air in the system, perhaps?

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 19:32   #3
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Faulty vacuum pump or pipework.
Diesels don't use the inlet manifold for vacuum as they are not throttled.
Old 29th June 2016, 19:40   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Bit of an odd one.

If I drive for say 20 miles without using the brakes, when I do come to use them the pedal requires a lot more force than usual and doesn't seem to slow the car down anywhere near as much as usual.

If I then apply the brakes again - fine.

Thinking something vacuum related.

Any ideas?
Does the pedal also seem more solid when you first press it?

One test you could try, is how long the servo holds its vacuum for once parked up / engine off. Mine holds it indefinitely - I can go to the car days after I have parked up and get around three presses of the pedal, before exhausting the vacuum/ pedal going solid with engine off.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 23:08   #5
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Faulty vacuum pump or pipework.
Is there a diagram anywhere of all the vac lines? I've replaced the ones going from the EGR to the battery box already just in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
Vacuum or air in the system, perhaps?
I don't see how air in the brakes would be likely to cause this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Does the pedal also seem more solid when you first press it?
Apologies if this a silly question - with the engine off or on? Off its stiff as a rock.
Old 30th June 2016, 06:49   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Apologies if this a silly question - with the engine off or on? Off its stiff as a rock.
If it instantly or very soon after goes hard after switching the engine off, then you have a vacuum leak.

With the engine off and for at least several hours, it should hold enough vacuum to press the pedal with vacuum assistance available for 1 to 3 full presses of the brake pedal. Mine manages 3 days/weeks after engine off.

If the vacuum is exhausted as above and the pedal kept pressed down, whilst the engine is started, the pedal should become soft and go down. Note I am not sure whether it uses a mechanical pump or an electric pump, so engine off, might need the ignition to be off too.

Hard = there will be very little movement when you press the pedal, which means no vacuum assistance available.

Soft = the vacuum/ servo will be assisting you to press the pedal so it will feel much softer under your foot.

If it fails that test, then likely you have a vacuum leak somewhere - The pipe work, the EGR, the vacuum pump, or the servo itself.

I am slightly puzzled by your suggestion that on the road, your brakes are initially poor, but then improve after the first press.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 30th June 2016 at 06:55..
Old 1st July 2016, 19:03   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
If it instantly or very soon after goes hard after switching the engine off, then you have a vacuum leak.

With the engine off and for at least several hours, it should hold enough vacuum to press the pedal with vacuum assistance available for 1 to 3 full presses of the brake pedal. Mine manages 3 days/weeks after engine off.

If the vacuum is exhausted as above and the pedal kept pressed down, whilst the engine is started, the pedal should become soft and go down. Note I am not sure whether it uses a mechanical pump or an electric pump, so engine off, might need the ignition to be off too.

Hard = there will be very little movement when you press the pedal, which means no vacuum assistance available.

Soft = the vacuum/ servo will be assisting you to press the pedal so it will feel much softer under your foot.

If it fails that test, then likely you have a vacuum leak somewhere - The pipe work, the EGR, the vacuum pump, or the servo itself.

I am slightly puzzled by your suggestion that on the road, your brakes are initially poor, but then improve after the first press.
I gave it 10 mins after a drive and I got two assisted pedal pumps before I lost vacuum.
Old 1st July 2016, 19:37   #8
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

If you have an EGR bypass or have disabled the EGR solenoid, make sure the cloth covered vac line to this or the pin on the bypass is not perished or free as this will lose vacuum, especially as the engine is cold the CPU will try to open the EGR valve and this will leak
Old 1st July 2016, 20:00   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
I gave it 10 mins after a drive and I got two assisted pedal pumps before I lost vacuum.
Unlikely to be a vac leak, under normal conditions then..

Klarzy maybe has the answer above?

Old 1st July 2016, 20:30   #10
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
If you have an EGR bypass or have disabled the EGR solenoid, make sure the cloth covered vac line to this or the pin on the bypass is not perished or free as this will lose vacuum, especially as the engine is cold the CPU will try to open the EGR valve and this will leak
Quote:
Is there a diagram anywhere of all the vac lines? I've replaced the ones going from the EGR to the battery box already just in case.

It's bypassed but as above the hose has been replaced - but the leak could be further up the chain?