Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th January 2013, 07:45   #1
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Default Rear Alignment Out

I had 4 wheel laser alignment done at a local tyre place when I bought 3 tyres off em. The N/S/R tyre was wearing on the outside edge pretty fast so I thought it needed sorting. That done it was fine for a few days but seems to have started again and I could feel it pulling to the N/S. If I ran over a manhole cover of pothole/bump its like it jerks to the N/S so i'm wondering if it's the bushes on the rear end.
I had it in at Ridgways in Rotherham and they said it was fine but I know there must be something thats not been done, I can feel that it's not right.
From what ive read the early cars had a recall for incorrectly set up rear end. Also that the rear should be set up first, then the fronts in order to get it spot on.
I suspect the alignment guys didn't do it properly, the steering wheel is still pointing to 11 in order to keep the car straight.

Don't wanna pay for alignment again as I'm convinced it's something else that needs addressing first. Any ideas what it could be?
Bushes maybe?

Last edited by Canonite; 28th January 2013 at 07:47..
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 08:00   #2
kjw123
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Sorry can't help you with your problem but you have my sympathy the roads in and around Rotherham are just full of potholes so bad they could knock a steam rollers wheels out of alignment.

Best of luck.

My Bonnie Connie from Donny.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kjw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 08:07   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
If I ran over a manhole cover of pothole/bump its like it jerks to the N/S ...
Alan,

That will almost certainly be front wheel alignment.
Quote:
... the steering wheel is still pointing to 11 in order to keep the car straight.
That's very shoddy work.

Simon
Old 28th January 2013, 08:26   #4
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

hi Alan after I had my 4 wheel alignment my car was a pleasure to drive again
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 14:13   #5
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Alan,

That will almost certainly be front wheel alignment.

That's very shoddy work.

Simon
You think that's all it is? I just can't help thinking i'd be wasting money if I have it aligned again.
Looking through the archive threads i'd say the car feels as if the N/S/R is suffering with positive camber, which causes the back end to jerk to that side when a bump is hit.

Wondering if it's worth replacing the bushes or something before having it done.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 19:18   #6
cardaft
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Ive never had to car step to the side with front alignment, however rear I have. After hitting a bump the wheel has less force acting down on it, letting the other side steer the car slightly should it be toeing in.

It would seem a lot of modern cars toe in at the rear. Im not quite sure the reason for this, only info I have found is its for better stability. Though I fail to see how this can be, if the tyres are acting against eachother, its not going to be as stable.

Luckily the 75 is adjustable front and rear, as most cars are not and the problem can not be helped. Look at Citroen C4 Picassos, Berlings, Renault Meganes etc. THey all go through rear tyres just as fast as fronts. They also all have this side step motion when the rear end hits an individual bump.

It would seem the 75 is quite complex to set up the tracking, so its vital they know what they are doing.

I would take your car to another garage with a 4 wheel laser alignment checker. Mention to them that you have read it needs to be adjusted at the rear first. Telling them how to do their job perhaps, but you need the best results.

Also, I would not be ahppy if I took my car in for tracking and they left it with the steering off centre. Thats a poor job, no doubt it has been adjusted on one side only.

Last edited by cardaft; 28th January 2013 at 19:22..
cardaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 19:30   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaft View Post
Luckily the 75 is adjustable front and rear, as most cars are not ...
Thanks for this Chris. You're right; all the cars I have come across have non-adjustable rear suspension but Haynes says that the 75/ZT rear toe can be adjusted by moving the trailing arm mounting bolts.

So my apologies to you Alan (Canonite). Until today, like most cars, I thought that your problem was down to front wheel alignment, but maybe not! Haynes gives data for rear camber angle and rear toe. Maybe you could get your tyre place to double check that it's correct?

Simon
Old 28th January 2013, 21:34   #8
Click4
Loves to post

None at the moment

What kind of 4 wheel alignment equipment did they use?

I only recommend taking it to a place with a hawkeye system or similar.

It's a ramp, they drive the car on the 4 post ram, in the middle at the front it has a post which shines a laser, and on each wheel it has a retroflective mirror.

It's the most reliable system because it doesn't use any point on the car as a reference.

Sim other systems will use the back wheels as a reference for the front etc so If the backs are out it throws out the front even though it says its aligned.

Hawkeye system also measures camber, caster, toe front and back, as well as thrust angle etc and you get a nice printout with before and after measurements... Not the cheapest alignment as the equipment is very expensive, £20k plus. But it's the only truly accurate alignment and similar to how manufacturers align the car in the factory.

Http://www.alignmycar.co.uk

Having a proper alignment done with a hawkeye will tell you if it was ever aligned properly first time.

But if you want to, beforehand, speak to a friendly mot station who doesn't do repairs, and they might be able to quickly check your bushes if you can't check yourself as worn bushes will also throw out alignment.

Place which doesn't do repairs is more likely to do this for you just before closing or first thing in morning if they get a moment, whereas a garage will want car booked in and charge for labour.

Last edited by Click4; 28th January 2013 at 21:41..
Click4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 03:23   #9
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Alignment

You are right, nearly all 75's/ZT's left the factory with incorrect alignment and most folk will tell you that rear tyre wear was/is the most noticeable.
As mentioned above. See what equip. the garage have that did your car. If it's good I would ask him if he did genuinely set the rears first & point out the s/wheel is off centre. If he is amenable ask him to correct your car as it is not right.
It is unreal how many fitters do not know that our cars rears can be adjusted & will often blatently tell you that is incorrect.
If not happy then only way is to go to another fitter that has the right equip.
I asked around before I had my car done and watched him do it. Also got the before & after print outs. (funny enough it was a certain branch of Kwik Fit in Cambridge but the fitter was excellent)

Last edited by crofts; 29th January 2013 at 03:25.. Reason: added 'before and after'
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 09:01   #10
cardaft
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I've not long had my 75 and its not yet MOT'd (its in now *fingers crossed*). However, I notice that it does side step on bumps from the rear. The rear tyres, mainly the NS, has worn almost smooth on the outside edge and is feathered. The rest of the tyre still has about 4mm remaining. I best look into somewhere to get the tracking done.