Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2017, 17:56   #1
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Default Strange FM interference

Hi

I've got a problem that happens everyday, very repeatable which I don't know a solution to.

My commute is approx an hour each way. I always just listen to Radio1, rarely have anything else on. Reception is perfect the whole way there. On the way home, every day I get poor reception , crackling, distortion and the tuner trying to re-tune to a stronger signal for the first 10 minutes of the journey and then it clears itself and is fine for the rest of the journey. I've checked it's not something I turn on or the car turns on like heated seats, rear screen etc..

I have a PPD connie with highline and I've added a sub and amp, everything else is standard. Any ideas?

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 18:40   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyB View Post
Hi

I've got a problem that happens everyday, very repeatable which I don't know a solution to.

My commute is approx an hour each way. I always just listen to Radio1, rarely have anything else on. Reception is perfect the whole way there. On the way home, every day I get poor reception , crackling, distortion and the tuner trying to re-tune to a stronger signal for the first 10 minutes of the journey and then it clears itself and is fine for the rest of the journey. I've checked it's not something I turn on or the car turns on like heated seats, rear screen etc..

I have a PPD connie with highline and I've added a sub and amp, everything else is standard. Any ideas?

Power lines???
Old 29th March 2017, 18:42   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Hi

trying to re-tune to a stronger signal for the first 10 minutes of the journey and then it clears itself and is fine for the rest of the journey. I've checked it's not something I turn on or the car turns on like heated seats, rear screen etc..

Might it be that your rear screen heater cuts in for those 10 minutes of your drive?

The screen heater is shared as an antenna for the radio and is a known cause of poor reception when they become damaged.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 21:25   #4
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

I've turned the auto on for rear screen off using toaf. Even if it was coming on (and not lighting the button up) it doesn't do it on the morning journey.

Power lines would be possible but only if they were off on a morning and on at evening??

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 22:06   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
I've turned the auto on for rear screen off using toaf. Even if it was coming on (and not lighting the button up) it doesn't do it on the morning journey.

Power lines would be possible but only if they were off on a morning and on at evening??
Not if the orientation of the aerial strands in your window meant you had a good reception in one direction and not in the other.... especially if the transmitter is at an angle to the direction of travel of the car....

I found this myself going to the supermarket and back,,, better one way than the other...
Old 30th March 2017, 07:43   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I have a PPD connie with highline and I've added a sub and amp, everything else is standard.
OK Gordon, so please can you confirm that you have the sat.nav./TV LCD screen incorporating the radio head unit.

Can you also confirm that the aerial module to be found on the nearside beside the heater rear window is the original long, rectangular unit and hasn't been replaced by a smaller matchbox sized unit or otherwise fiddled with or modified?

Have you had your heated rear window replaced at any time?
Quote:
... I get poor reception , crackling, distortion and the tuner trying to re-tune to a stronger signal ...
This suggests the loss of aerial signal (RF) at the head unit. You should not be aware of the tuner switching to another Radio 1 frequency. Before it does that, the 'diversity' system will silently increase the number of aerial elements in use to provide a stronger signal to the tuner.

Please report back.

Simon
Old 30th March 2017, 08:04   #7
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Is one of journeys done with lights on? Also have you tried another BBC station, no doubt same transmitter but different frequency, to see if you get the same interference.

Are you able to stop when it's bad and switch off the engine and see if the noise goes? Also take a portable set and try it to eliminate external noise.

Last edited by murphyv310; 30th March 2017 at 08:08..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote