Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th March 2017, 12:05   #1
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Conny CDTi Alternator packed up after watery drive

I was forced to take a country lane and a drive through a 1 foot deep 20 foot wide puddle yesterday after a lorry fire in M6 made getting to work on main roads tricky. Couple of hrs later the battery charging fault symbol popped up and battery light stayed on. Checked charge from alternator this morning, 11.2 volts. With engine off off the battery is reading 11. 6.

Just had it looked at by local garage who've diagnosed a new alternator needed and fee of £395 plus VAT fitting etc. 4 hr job which seems a bit steep to me.

Just this second got her home, tried turned off engine and tried to restart. Nothing at all. Lucky I wasn't in middle of nowhere.

Got a good garage recommended locally just wondered whether I should take that diagnosis at face value. Could wet electrical leads or connectors be the problem?

Last edited by boink; 9th March 2017 at 16:38.. Reason: wrong title
boink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 16:49   #2
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

The alternator brand is Valeo. grateful if anyone can recommend a decent, OEM quality alternative or reputable recon parts seller.
Old 9th March 2017, 17:03   #3
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Petrol or diesel 75?

Alternator on eBay are around £100 however a member posted a thread the other day on replacement brushes which is a whole lot cheaper the £395 + vat you've been quoted.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=263277
Old 9th March 2017, 17:10   #4
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Wullie. Yes I've seen them online from MGRS. I'm hoping someone has had a similar problem after driving through water and can say whether that would be enough to knacker the alternator. What I don't want to do is order and get a replacement fitted and find out its an electrical issue caused by water in connections.

I'm guessing the regulator would be the most likely part to be affected by water?
Old 9th March 2017, 17:37   #5
Gren 24
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE CDTI

Hi if it is your Altinator thats gone. I had to have mine replaced and I use JLH Moters of Stafford they are on Silkmore Lane stafford. The chap that owns and runs it Knows all about our Rover 75 .He as work on them for years. He did mine about 2years ago For £288.00 that was a new one and fitting and vat.

I always use them and have my MOT done there He does the MOT himself

There number is 01785 748161
http://www.jlhmotors.co.uk/
Old 9th March 2017, 19:37   #6
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Gren. That's a top tip. Hope his prices haven't got to Stone levels! My price today was ex VAT.
Old 12th March 2017, 12:56   #7
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

tried to clean out the connections I can reach but no different. Battery warning light did go off for around 4 miles at speed just now, then came back on again when down to 30. Had battery tested at a decent parts store who declined to sell me a battery (good people) but sticky battery on the charger for longer (it's only a 4 amp unit) and who reckoned water might have pushed gunk and debris around inside of alternator. Also reckoned charging problem could potentially be connected to a pulley.

If anyone can point me at a decent replacement alternator (and pulley?) I'd be grateful. Believe the Valeo on there currently is original part so it's done a fair bit of work.

Ta

Mike
Old 12th March 2017, 20:05   #8
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Problem solved, maybe.

Was thinking about the starting point for this problem an hour or two ago and wondering if mud/carp from the water I drove through could've dried in the alternator causing a problem. Took a hose to it for a couple of minutes then with an extension lead used a hair dryer to dry it out for another five mins. Re attached battery making sure connections good and tight.

Battery light vanished as soon as I revved car and on checking with multimeter I'm getting 13.7 coming through and over 14 when revved.

A member has offered me an alternator which I'll be buying tomorrow if alternator reverts back to no charging tomorrow on the work run. Unorthodox solution if it has fixed the problem, and with any luck £400 + cheaper than the new alternator I was offered on Friday!
Old 12th March 2017, 21:47   #9
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default premature celebration

Quick drive to shops to test that it's still working, and the battery light, charging fault lights back on again. My unlikely water cure seems not to be a cure at all. Multimeter saying just 10.14 across the terminals now which I guess is just what the battery has dropped to.

Is it possible that the alternator is refusing to supply a charge when the battery has dropped below a certain level? It had charged up as high as 12.5 before I put it back in the car this afternoon.
Old 13th March 2017, 19:37   #10
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Back to working fine this morning after a tap from a broom handle. 8 mile journey. Then light on again coming home and corresponding lack of charge when tested with multimeter.

Taking Colvert's advice now and attempting the regulator and brush replacement in situ on Saturday. Ordered two and three pin versions from MGRS, following the 'how to' on here by Mr Lawrence.

Would have gone for a recon alternator fitted by a garage but can't find anyone who'll fit a part they haven't ordered themselves.