Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2017, 19:11   #1
Mike24
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Auto Saloon Connoisseur SE

Default Flat battery

About a month ago my wife moved the driver's seat (electric memory) ready to go shopping, got in the car, but it wouldn't start - flat battery. She hasn't driven the car since, so the driver's seat hasn't been moved. This afternoon I moved seat in order to vacuum the footwell (doesn't happen very often), got in the car this evening to visit friends - flat battery...

The battery was in the car when I bought it nearly three years ago, but, apart from these two occasions, has never given any trouble. I am wondering which is more likely; that the battery is coming to the end of its life; that, somehow, moving the driver's seat is causing a rapid drain on the battery; or neither of the above?

I've just though of another possibility; I've been having trouble lately with the windows not working properly - perhaps its something to do with them?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Last edited by Mike24; 14th March 2017 at 19:14..
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 07:57   #2
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Pop a multimeter across the battery terminals, and check the voltage a good battery will have around 12.6 volts, then with the engine running it should show around 14.2 volts.

That way you can eliminate the battery & alternator, obviously you need to get it started first, a set of jump leads or on a battery charge overnight with the battery off the car would be a decent starting point. I'm sure that the ECM won't allow starting below 11.9 volts
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 09:19   #3
Mike24
Loves to post

I've charged the battery over night and put it back on, so the car starts fine at the moment. I am on holiday at the moment (just happened to have a battery charger in the boot!) and will try to buy a multimeter today to test voltages.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:26   #4
Mike24
Loves to post

Having bought a digital multimeter and waited for some fine weather, I've just been out to test the battery voltage; initially it was reading 12.45V with the engine off - 14.65V with the engine running. I turned the engine off after a couple of minutes and re-tested the voltage; it had gone up to 12.65V. The battery has one of those little round windows that are supposed to go green if the battery is OK. The window isn't green, more black - am I right in thinking that the battery is borderline?
Old 21st March 2017, 11:32   #5
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike24 View Post
About a month ago my wife moved the driver's seat (electric memory) ready to go shopping, got in the car, but it wouldn't start - flat battery. She hasn't driven the car since, so the driver's seat hasn't been moved. This afternoon I moved seat in order to vacuum the footwell (doesn't happen very often), got in the car this evening to visit friends - flat battery...

The battery was in the car when I bought it nearly three years ago, but, apart from these two occasions, has never given any trouble. I am wondering which is more likely; that the battery is coming to the end of its life; that, somehow, moving the driver's seat is causing a rapid drain on the battery; or neither of the above?

I've just though of another possibility; I've been having trouble lately with the windows not working properly - perhaps its something to do with them?

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Well, the battery looks the likely culprit, but, in case it isn't, one problem I had with a battery drain, the drivers electric seat fuse was the problem. Took an auto electrician to find that one out !! Just a suggestion.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 11:35   #6
Mike24
Loves to post

Thanks for the quick reply; I've had my suspicions about the driver's seat - twice now I've been unable to start the car after moving the seat. Was the problem with yours that the fuse had blown, or was there a bad connection or something?
Old 21st March 2017, 13:00   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike24 View Post
... 14.65V with the engine running.
That's a trifle high Mike.
Quote:
The window isn't green, more black - am I right in thinking that the battery is borderline?
The indicator only tells you the condition of one cell but it should be green. I'd charge the battery externally for 24 hours, disconnected from the car in case there is a drain, and check that the indicator is green afterwards. If it is, the battery is OK. If it isn't, it may well be dying.

Watch your alternator output too. I'd feel happier if it was around the 14 volt mark.

Simon