Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th March 2017, 08:32   #1
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts
Default Insurance claim Advise needed

Hi

Is there anyone I can please talk to regarding an accident claim? I've been involved in an accident for the first time ever. I wasn't at fault but need some expert advise. Many thanks.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 09:05   #2
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Whatever happens you have to accept now that this will cost you. If it's just you time you will be lucky.

Hope you have plenty of witnesses and there's no doubt of who's at fault. A couple of years ago my misses was pulling into a bay at a Dunelm's car park. Halfway in the woman in the Corsa to her left opened her driver's door. My wife's Megane hit the edge of the door and bent it and the A piller. The Corsa had to be towed away, our car was virtually unmarked; just a deep scuff on the plastic bumper.

The Corsa owner admitted verbally it was her fault and we were happy to swap insurance details.

It then took nearly two years of legal effort before the case was closed as the woman changed her story and said she was sat in the car with the door open as it was a warm day and that my wife had driven into the bay at speed and without looking. Initially we were told that the best outcome would now be 50:50 as it was her word against my wife's. A few months later we received a letter to say the case was now closed and it was deemed that it was my wife at fault. No option to appeal
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 10:12   #3
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Yip you need witnesses. Someone drove into me in 2010, 100% her fault but it went down as a 50/50 as there were no witnesses.
Old 29th March 2017, 10:41   #4
scottish_don
Loves to post

None

First step is admit to nothing even if you are at fault.

Report it to your insurance company giving them full details.
Old 29th March 2017, 10:56   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Witnesses are definitely a must and the one thing that you need to get at the time of the accident name/address/phone number or even just registration of other vehicles that stop and are possible witnesses (the drivers that is): Are there any CCTV cameras that might have recorded the event? get on to them quick before the tapes are overwritten and get a copy.
Second:don't claim on your insurance, period. Doesn't matter if you are fully comp - that's not what fully comp insurance is for (it's for when you crash on your own and it's your fault). Of course fully comp will cover you but not really any faster than the other person's insurance (provided they have some). Claim directly from the other driver's insurance. Yes you do have to inform your insurance co. Make it clear that this is a report only (as they no doubt will require) and a not a claim. Keep posession of your vehicle - have it recovered to safe place under your control (prefer your own home driveway/garage). Insist on independant damage assessors. And under no circumstance talk to any 'claims handling' companies!

Keep a written log of everything that happens from hereon -names, dates, times what was said if not written down, all correspondence and email with anything remotely connected to the accident. If the police attended then request any records they may have (might be none at all - honestly!) including the attending policemans notebook notes (if he bothered to make any: make sure you do have his/her number and operations base).

Third: consider getting your own solicitor to handle it.

P.S all this advice is from recent personal experiences.

On another note, I hope no one was injured - but do make sure to get any pains checked out even if you think that you are ok. (and keep records)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 29th March 2017 at 11:07..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 11:14   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The first thing is get witnesses before doing anything else.When you have those, if available, take pictures on your phone from numerous angles of the crash scene, very important. Walk back up the road you have just come down for 20/30 yards and take a picture of the crash scene. Ask if anyone is injured, reason being, if they later claim that they are injured, you have the facility to record what they said on your phone. No good them claiming that they had cuts and bruising to their face if there are none on the photos.If they are injured, phone for ambulance,get the police to attend,dont take no for an answer from them,
Old 29th March 2017, 12:25   #7
Ravinder
This is my second home

Thank you for the advise.

There's no witnesses, unfortunately.

I have one person who didn't see the accident but was present when the other person admitted fault.

I'm not sure if there is any CCTVs. I don't remember seeing any as it was at a busy junction.

There's nothing to admit at my end as I wasn't at fault at all. She shunted me.

I got her name, address, DOB, insurance details etc and pictures on my phone.

I actually called her insurance company first and reported a claim this way. The guy on the phone was really good and says it will be claimed on her policy and not mine and it won't affect my no claims etc. He said he will now try and call the lady to her side of the story before getting back in contact with me.

It's almost certain it's going to be a write off. All I can do is hope for the best.

I will do as advised and make sure the car doesn't leave my house. Also, how do I go about getting an independent assessor? Is this something I have to do through insurance or someone I have to find myself and pay for?

Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Old 29th March 2017, 13:17   #8
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Rav - just take the car to a few garages and get some quotes. The lady that hit you, how was she? I mean, did she seem reasonable? It could be worth asking her for a cash settlement rather than going through insurance companies especially if there is a danger of the car being written off. And she may want to protect her ncb if she has any.
Old 29th March 2017, 13:30   #9
Ravinder
This is my second home

I did ask her about cash at the scene but she said it wasn't an option and she wouldn't be able to afford it and to go through insurance.

UPDATE - insurance company have just called me back to say that they have spoken to the lady for her version of events. Insurance company have ruled she is liable as she didn't leave enough space between her vehicle and my vehicle in front to stop in sufficient time. One less thing for me to worry about as I was worried she might change her mind and blame me for it.

Insurance company have now said they will get one of the of assessor from Arnold Clark who they use for their work to look at my car to see if it's repairable or to be written off. Arnold Clark will call me in due course to arrange this. I don't trust Arnold Clark at all! I've heard nothing but horror stories from them. I did say to the guy that I want my car to be assessed at my home. He said I would have to discuss this with Arnold Clark. He said the other possibility is that in present with the vehicle at all times even if it is taken to their garage to be assessed so I can drive it there and back if need be.

Royal Blue (JFM)

Old 29th March 2017, 14:39   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

A car camera, running all the time the car is being driven, is much better and more reliable than any witness.

Good luck with the outcome, but at least she has accepted blame - which is a really good start.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote