Notices

Old 29th March 2017, 14:36   #1
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default Post Concussion Syndrome

I didn't know there was such a thing.

I bumped my head nearly 4 weeks ago, knocked it on the edge of a metal sign which was on a signpost. I cant remember seeing the sign, or I did, but I must have misjudged it.

I didn't blackout, it was just a knock which blooming hurt. I carried on with my day as usual, and later on I forgot all about it.

Well! 3 days later WHAM! HEADACHE! I have now had this persistent headache everyday since, also I have found my concentration is lacking.

Monday, I gave the Docs a call and spoke with the practice nurse, she tells me its Post Concussion and symptoms could last upto three months, she didn't even ask to see me

So, my question is to you guys... Does this sound correct, has anyone here suffered from Post Concussion from a bump on the head, if you have... what were the symptoms and how long did they last?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 15:05   #2
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I didn't know there was such a thing.

I bumped my head nearly 4 weeks ago, knocked it on the edge of a metal sign which was on a signpost. I cant remember seeing the sign, or I did, but I must have misjudged it.

I didn't blackout, it was just a knock which blooming hurt. I carried on with my day as usual, and later on I forgot all about it.

Well! 3 days later WHAM! HEADACHE! I have now had this persistent headache everyday since, also I have found my concentration is lacking.

Monday, I gave the Docs a call and spoke with the practice nurse, she tells me its Post Concussion and symptoms could last upto three months, she didn't even ask to see me

So, my question is to you guys... Does this sound correct, has anyone here suffered from Post Concussion from a bump on the head, if you have... what were the symptoms and how long did they last?
Absolute rubbish if you concerned which you are get it checked out properly, you or her have not got a clue what is wrong.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 15:14   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Go and have your head X-rayed or a CT scan.. A fractured skull or bleeding on the brain is no laughing matter. Best to be safe than sorry.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 15:23   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

Thanks fellas.

The nurse ask me several questions, such as... did I blackout, any double vision, can I talk ok, can I walk ok, move my arms, any nausea etc.

As I have not suffered any of those worrying symptoms, she wasn't bothered and said I will be fine. I said to her should I go to A&E, she said they wouldn't see me as the bump was 3 weeks ago, therefore wouldn't be an emergency.
Old 29th March 2017, 15:29   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I agree with the words of caution above Wes. Due to a mix up my son dropped a heavy object out of the roof and it hit me on my head - symptoms were much the same as you describe - but son and SWMBO were so concerned (I was not that bothered at the time) that they took me to Salisbury A&E - who were absolutely brilliant.

I learnt from them never to dismiss head trauma.

Go to A&E - tell them you now have bad headaches after a blow to the head.

Edit - missed your last post Wes - still suggest a second opinion

Last edited by Darcydog; 29th March 2017 at 15:31..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 15:39   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

Its certainly a strange one... I dont have any of the worrying signs to be concerned about, just the persistent headache, and what I would say eye-strain in the right eye (the bump was on the right-side of my head).

The practice nurse didn't seem bothered, she said because its been 3 weeks since the incident, and I haven't been showing any of the alarming signs, A&E wouldn't see me.

I may just take a trip to A&E and see what they have to say.
Old 29th March 2017, 15:43   #7
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Its certainly a strange one... I dont have any of the worrying signs to be concerned about, just the persistent headache, and what I would say eye-strain in the right eye (the bump was on the right-side of my head).

The practice nurse didn't seem bothered, she said because its been 3 weeks since the incident, and I haven't been showing any of the alarming signs, A&E wouldn't see me.

I may just take a trip to A&E and see what they have to say.
Not wishing to frighten you but my late wife bumped her head a couple of times and spent 10 weeks in the Royal London Hospital fighting for her life. They found a fractured skull and 2 bleeds on the brain.

Go and get it checked out NOW!!!!

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 15:46   #8
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

And you need to take that so called Nurse to task for her phone diagnosis. Treating a head injury with that blase attitude is tantamount to negligence
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 15:47   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I agree with the words of caution above Wes. Due to a mix up my son dropped a heavy object out of the roof and it hit me on my head - symptoms were much the same as you describe - but son and SWMBO were so concerned (I was not that bothered at the time) that they took me to Salisbury A&E - who were absolutely brilliant.

Perhaps you have a local walk in centre for minor injuries/ailments. If so that may be a better option than A and E .Wes . I have just been today as I nearly fell,off a porch roof this lunchtime when I slipped on a wet tile, grabbed hold of the edge of the apex and stopped the fall, but river my arm something terrible. I was I in agony, so managed to drive home, took some painkillers and had a hot bath with a hot flannel on the affected area, pain dissipated,until I tried to,use the arm, aaarrghhhh!! So off to walk in centre on the bus, got checked out by a nurse practioner,who did loads of tests, and then said, no further treatment needed ATM, take painkillers and if it's no better in 2/3 days go,to the doc's. She has given me a series of excercises to do ,to strengthen the shoulder again. I really think now, as I approach 50, it's time to seriously consider my future employment. After almost 28 years, 3 major falls, and a few near misses like this, I feel,now is the time to think about a change. Sorry for the part hijack Wes.
Old 29th March 2017, 16:03   #10
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post

Sorry to hear that Clive, what was the outcome, did you have a bleed, fracture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Not wishing to frighten you but my late wife bumped her head a couple of times and spent 10 weeks in the Royal London Hospital fighting for her life. They found a fractured skull and 2 bleeds on the brain.

Go and get it checked out NOW!!!!
Really sorry to hear that Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
And you need to take that so called Nurse to task for her phone diagnosis. Treating a head injury with that blase attitude is tantamount to negligence
I did think it was a bit silly not to call me in to check me over, considering when I mentioned about pain behind my eye on same side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Perhaps you have a local walk in centre for minor injuries/ailments. If so that may be a better option than A and E .Wes . I have just been today as I nearly fell,off a porch roof this lunchtime when I slipped on a wet tile, grabbed hold of the edge of the apex and stopped the fall, but river my arm something terrible. I was I in agony, so managed to drive home, took some painkillers and had a hot bath with a hot flannel on the affected area, pain dissipated,until I tried to,use the arm, aaarrghhhh!! So off to walk in centre on the bus, got checked out by a nurse practioner,who did loads of tests, and then said, no further treatment needed ATM, take painkillers and if it's no better in 2/3 days go,to the doc's. She has given me a series of excercises to do ,to strengthen the shoulder again. I really think now, as I approach 50, it's time to seriously consider my future employment. After almost 28 years, 3 major falls, and a few near misses like this, I feel,now is the time to think about a change. Sorry for the part hijack Wes.
Not a problem Rich, go ahead, the more info I read the better I can make a decision.
I'm a bit like yourself, lately I seem to be always hurting myself, accident prone as they say, the upsetting thing is... I never use to be.