Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th April 2017, 06:22   #91
MikeJohn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Stuarts comments re permissions to write to the sd card are correct. It seems rules were set in Android to ensure apps had the right permissions - introduced around Android 5.

I believe what is supposed to happen is the app asks for permission during installation, presumably calling a system function to do that, then the user responds, the system stores the permission and all is well.

However it seems the install package is not doing that, There are ways to fiddle it afterwards but none seem simple.

If this is right I would expect the same problem with Primo on any Android 6 device. Certainly the one on the play store is documented as needing to be installed NOT from an expansion card.

Forums around Igo Primo are very popular, but tend to be very difficult to understand. It would be good to find if anyone has it running from an sd card on any device before we try much more.

I am tempted to leave it on internal memory, and free the sd card,. I have found with a DVR camera running and using the right-hand sd card for storage music becomes "stuttering" as it cannot keep up, so using the maps card for DVR storage may be a good solution anyway.

On the DVR software - has anyone found how to control how much space it uses, it seems to just keep creating more files all the time. I was looking for options to control how many files, max size or something.

Thanks

Mike

I just found this Which seems to confirm most of what we have seen...

http://www.navitotal.com/android-dis...id-t16295.html

Last edited by MikeJohn; 29th April 2017 at 06:31.. Reason: Add reference
MikeJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 11:41   #92
StuartB
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Hello Mike

Funny you should mention the Play Store. Did you notice the Igo developer's address, it was in Budapest. Perhaps he had wanted us all to visit! Lol

Today I have followed your lead and successfully installed IGO on the internal memory and it works a treat. I was also able to copy the latest maps, poi's and skins etc across using the file manager. (I guess I could have done this via my pc before installing, but I forgot!)

Something I did do before doing this installation was to strip back IGO to only the things I needed, so I deleted all the none UK maps, Poi's, voices etc and so the complete program was only around 400MB (instead of 3.47GB) so has not really made a dent in the excellent 32GB internal memory the Eclipse comes with.

Cheers

Stuart

PS, I backed up a copy of the original card before doing any of the above, just in case I needed it a later date.
StuartB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 18:00   #93
Jarnoplum

MG ZT 135 CDTI 2003 LHD Saloon

Many thanks to Aircub, Mike, Stuart, and Lasercutter!
It took a while for me to read and understand all of your posts,
but thanks to you guys I've also got the IGO working on my Eclipse!
First I only got rid of the Budapest startpoint issue,
but after another uninstall/re-install attempt, it also saves my settings.
It might be useful for other noobs like me to have an easy step by step list.
Best regards, Jarno.
Jarnoplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 20:18   #94
MikeJohn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Hi Stuart,

Did you keep any notes on exactly what files/folders you copied and what you ignored. It would be good to put together a detailed how-to describing all this, and documenting what files and folders are needed would be a good start point.

I had spotted the developers being in Budapest. I assume the original had a route set hen first released, and the sd card under Android 6 prevents that route being overwritten.

Mike

Last edited by MikeJohn; 1st May 2017 at 20:20..
MikeJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 21:02   #95
StuartB
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohn View Post
Hi Stuart,

Did you keep any notes on exactly what files/folders you copied and what you ignored. It would be good to put together a detailed how-to describing all this, and documenting what files and folders are needed would be a good start point.

I had spotted the developers being in Budapest. I assume the original had a route set hen first released, and the sd card under Android 6 prevents that route being overwritten.

Mike
Hi Mike

Yes I can recall the steps I took and what I deleted etc. I'll sit down at my pc tomorrow, type it up and post it here.

Cheers

Stuart
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:44   #96
Kerr Avon

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikk View Post
I have installed my Navall and while it seems generally excellent I do have a problem with the satnav (IGO?) software that I don’t think has been mentioned already .. it doesn’t retain the settings or favourites when the unit is switched off.. so if I change the voice or save a destination in favourites, they have gone next time I switch it on. Also it takes ages to locate satellites (over 5 mins) each time it is switched on .. perhaps this is related to it not saving the settings? (or maybe it’s due to how I fitted the gps antenna – under the dash behind the navall unit .. perhaps would be better on top of the dash, though I believe it should work okay under the dash?). Am I the only one who has these issues? ..
I have the same issue. Settings not being saved. In addition the unit stops playing music from the sd card when navigation is selected.

Not stupid
Not expendable
Not going
Kerr Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:45   #97
StuartB
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

As promised a (simple as I can make it) guide to installing IGO on the internal (Flash) memory of the Eclipse which will allow IGO to work as it should/save settings etc.

1. Whilst your Eclipse is switched off, remove the GPS card.
2. Next we need to uninstall the existing IGO app. Switch the unit on and open the ApkInstaller App, select "Manage", select IGO and from the menu select "Uninstall". Switch Eclipse off
3. On your pc/laptop make a copy of your original card (or back it up) just in case you make any errors or need certain data at a later date.
4. The data on the card provided is around 3.47GB in size, if you are happy to use that amount of the units 32GB Internal (Flash) memory ignore section 5 and go straight to 6.
5. If you only need (as I did), maps, poi's, buildings, language and voices for 1 country, then deleting the unneeded files can reduce the size of the data on the card to around 400MB. To delete the files do the following:- On your card go to Europe/IGO/Content/Map. Delete all files except for the countries who's maps you need. (For example I deleted all the files except for UnitedKingdom.fbl)

Repeat this process in "Content" for the "Building", "poi", "voice" and "lang" folders.

6. Back to the car, switch on your Eclipse and place your newly edited SD card into the GPS slot. Open "File Browser" app, on the left select GPS card, select the "Europe" folder and select the "Copy" symbol at the bottom of the screen. (So you are copying the entire "Europe" folder to the internal memory of the Eclipse)

Now select "Flash" on the left hand side (this is the 32GB internal memory) and select the "Paste" symbol at the bottom of the screen.

You should now have a "Europe" folder showing in the Flash memory.

7. Open the ApkInstaller App, select Install, select "Internal memory", from the list select Europe/Igo/Igo_NF.apk. This will now install IGO on the internal memory. Once finished click "Done".

You should now be able to open IGO, complete the start up configuration wizard and it will now save your settings/preferences and run as it should etc.

There was mention in previous posts, (possibly including mine) about deleting the contents of the "Save" folder. DO NOT DO THIS as it leads to some initial error messages and IS NOT REQUIRED (from my experience).

I hope this a) understandable, b) useful, and any suggestions for improving this (or any errors spotted) are most welcome.

Please also feel free to ask for any clarification.

Cheers

Stuart
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:08   #98
aircub
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT Cdti 131

Ok in the process of slimming down the app I have deleted some thing I should not have deleted as I now get global.cfg file is missing�� I have checked and it is in the file directory
Europe but what have I done ???
aircub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:49   #99
StuartB
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircub View Post
Ok in the process of slimming down the app I have deleted some thing I should not have deleted as I now get global.cfg file is missing�� I have checked and it is in the file directory
Europe but what have I done ???
The global.cfg folder should be in the Content folder and should contain 7.69MB of data in a folder called global_cfg.zip

If all else fails, restore everything you've deleted and start again perhaps.

Cheers

Stuart
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:58   #100
Jarnoplum

MG ZT 135 CDTI 2003 LHD Saloon

Nice one Stuart!
I did erase the 'save' contents but didn't get any errors (yet).
Just thought that the whole problem was because of some 'save' contents,
but it's all about running IGO from the flash instead of the SD card?
So would it be better if I uninstall it, and to do the procedure like you did?
Seems quite important to have a backup then, also in aircub's case.
Best regards, Jarno.
Jarnoplum is offline   Reply With Quote