Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2017, 17:23   #1
anutz
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Default Starts then dies....

Hi All,

I am new to owning this car, its a MG ZT 190+ and in Red.

Its done 149000 miles and has had one previous owner who has never let it want for anything, so i have been trying to follow suit.

Has been fine in terms of engine performance and pull and never had any major work needed i.e. head gaskets etc.

Has the "Fabled Orange Clip" mod, i did not do this but i know its been done.

Today i got back from a trip and went into a shop, came back out, and it would not start.

The internal electronics were fine, i.e. dash and dials, i could turn it over and the starter turned, and it does very briefly fire, i.e. combusts, but its coughing and spluttering, and never finds and idle or revs as usual on startup

Earlier in the day for a brief second i did feel like it was hesitating whilst around 3-4K on the motorway but then it was fine until this.

I was recovered home, and the report said it was showing via, 02 sensor suspected fuel lean, i forget which bank but i will check with my own tools later, when i find them

Reason i post is, in discussing with a friend as well, could this be a symptom of something else, we were thinking fuel pressure, or has a 02 sensor gone.

Any advice on what to check to add weight to it being a sensor or not etc

Any comments or input welcome, trying to understand what may explain the behaviour.

Will try to get a clip of it starting uploaded, or not start etc.

Thanks

Anutz
anutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 20:58   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Anutz and to the club.

Failure to start when hot is often a faulty camshaft position sensor.

Simon
Old 26th April 2017, 07:12   #3
anutz
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Anutz and to the club.

Failure to start when hot is often a faulty camshaft position sensor.

Simon
Hi SD1too....thanks

Do an update, it wont start when hot or cold, its been sat overnight and wont start.

Been discussing with previous owner and we were wondering if its the FOC thats had an issue, the error codes that were read off the engine are actually almost always reporting from the time the car was new, and its never been an issue, so might be a red herring.

Going to check if there is fuel pressure today, aside from pressing in the valve on the presta/schrader valve, with care, is there any other test to diagnose the fuel line pressure?

With it being fuel i am of course cautious.

Anutz
Old 26th April 2017, 07:15   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anutz View Post
Hi SD1too....thanks

Do an update, it wont start when hot or cold, its been sat overnight and wont start.

Been discussing with previous owner and we were wondering if its the FOC thats had an issue, the error codes that were read off the engine are actually almost always reporting from the time the car was new, and its never been an issue, so might be a red herring.

Going to check if there is fuel pressure today, aside from pressing in the valve on the presta/schrader valve, with care, is there any other test to diagnose the fuel line pressure?

With it being fuel i am of course cautious.

Anutz
You could of course have it diagnosed with the proper equipment Chris

Whereabouts are you located? I always carry spare sensors to substitute if required

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 08:43   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
is there any other test to diagnose the fuel line pressure?
It's got the signs of FFS, so either the FOC wasn't actually fitted or fitted incorrectly or the seal has failed.

The usually suggested method for you to check fuel delivery pressure yourself is with a mechanical tyre pressure gauge (not an electrical/electronic type). This is used on the Schrader valve located on the end of the fuel rail, the one opposite the feed connection. It has a blue cap. An assistant turns on the ignition while you apply the gauge and read the hydraulic pressure generated by the pump. Obviously avoid it spraying out. You should get at least 50psi. Anything less suggests FFS.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 10:53   #6
anutz
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It's got the signs of FFS, so either the FOC wasn't actually fitted or fitted incorrectly or the seal has failed.

The usually suggested method for you to check fuel delivery pressure yourself is with a mechanical tyre pressure gauge (not an electrical/electronic type). This is used on the Schrader valve located on the end of the fuel rail, the one opposite the feed connection. It has a blue cap. An assistant turns on the ignition while you apply the gauge and read the hydraulic pressure generated by the pump. Obviously avoid it spraying out. You should get at least 50psi. Anything less suggests FFS.

TC
Thanks, found the little valve, and looking for my old school gauge now....so should be able to do that test.

It does have the FOC fitted, it was done within months of first owner getting it i.e. 2006 ish, will check the above with a gauge and report back.

Is it a big job if the seal has gone?
Old 26th April 2017, 11:05   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Your best bet, as you're in Durham, is give Marinabrian a call, he'll sort it once & for all
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 11:40   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
It's pretty easy, though best done with the tank level low. There are HowTos available on the Forum.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 12:08   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Chris, resist the temptation to become distracted by a repair which may or may not be necessary. Take this one step at a time. Concentrate on trying to measure the fuel pressure as suggested.

When the ignition is turned on the fuel pump should run for a few seconds only. This primes the system. You should be able to hear this if you listen at the fuel filler cap (or lift the rear seat cushion) whilst an assistant operates the ignition key.

When the starter motor is turning the fuel pump should run continuously. Next check that you can hear that and measure the fuel pressure if you can.

Let us know how you get on please or accept Brian's offer of help.

Simon
Old 26th April 2017, 13:03   #10
anutz
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Default Update

So,

I can hear nothing at all, but have not got an assistant yet, so just been listening outside the cap when reaching and turning ignition.

I have a gauge i could use to measure pressure, but am a little apprehensive about getting fuel everywhere.

Will locate a neighbour and ask them to turn the key etc

Thanks for the advice so far

Chris