Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th April 2017, 13:43   #1
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Default Great News ...... But!!

The tourer flew through the MOT yet again, now 3+years of great ownership. Tester told me he had to put a new bulb in the number plate light.

Is it coincidence that since getting back from the test I can't get the tailgate to open, although the light on the panel shows there is a door open. Have tried the release catch in the car and locking and unlocking, but other that using the emergency release pull I can't get it to open.

Could the tester have dislodged/broken something. Any thoughts about what I need to do to get the tailgate working properly again?
Caulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 13:59   #2
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Could be the switch inside the boot latch mate, if you need a new latch I've got a few
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 14:55   #3
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Might be something stuck in the latch mechanism. Did you have anything rolling around in the boot?
Old 26th April 2017, 15:47   #4
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Done some fiddling! Seems the switch in the latch is mucking about. If I pull the rubber cover it fires, now working intermittently. Looked at getting to the switch but got stuck at first hurdle, what bit do I need to undo the 4 screws by the number plate bulbs holding the trim on? They also seem quite rusted!
Old 26th April 2017, 23:09   #5
Grumble and Grouch
Regular poster

MGZTT

Had similar problem on mine- rubber seal on handle/ switch was causing the problem- took it off, replaced in right position and worked for a while then wouldn't open again. Disconnected the battery for 30 mins, reconnected and problem solved( so far at least).
Grumble and Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 08:26   #6
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumble and Grouch View Post
Had similar problem on mine- rubber seal on handle/ switch was causing the problem- took it off, replaced in right position and worked for a while then wouldn't open again. Disconnected the battery for 30 mins, reconnected and problem solved( so far at least).
Will certainly look more closely at the rubber seal, that seems to be the most likely cause. How does battery disconnect help, will it mess up the radio? Not sure I have the code, if I need one.
Old 28th April 2017, 12:33   #7
Grumble and Grouch
Regular poster

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulkhead View Post
Will certainly look more closely at the rubber seal, that seems to be the most likely cause. How does battery disconnect help, will it mess up the radio? Not sure I have the code, if I need one.
Apparently it resets the ECU, I'm just going from others expertise though, I'm clueless with most things mechanical! I think you would need a code for the radio though. Not a problem for me as it came without a radio!
Grumble and Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 12:53   #8
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Every Rover I've removed a factory fit unit from has had the code written on it in large sharpie lol. Might be worth a pull out before you disconnect to see if it's on there. If not, always a good excuse to buy something a bit better

Born; Wednesday, 3rd October 2001 @ 16:00:16
The 34,336th 75 to run off the production line of 112,381
This was the 4,730th 75 CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 10,898
This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
MK2 dials with IPK, FBH repair, headlining repair (again!) and some cosmetics.
Seanalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 13:39   #9
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
The tourer flew through the MOT yet again, now 3+years of great ownership. Tester told me he had to put a new bulb in the number plate light.

Is it coincidence that since getting back from the test I can't get the tailgate to open, although the light on the panel shows there is a door open. Have tried the release catch in the car and locking and unlocking, but other that using the emergency release pull I can't get it to open.

Could the tester have dislodged/broken something. Any thoughts about what I need to do to get the tailgate working properly again?
Don't believe in coincidences he probably disturbed the rubber seal which weather proofs the opening mechanism, pull it off and re-position it so it fits correctly without fouling the switch mechanism, you will be fine then.
The number plate bulb holder is delicate and requires the delicate fingers of a Geisha girl, not the sausage-shaped fingers of a baboon.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote