Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2017, 19:57   #1
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts
Default Biggest diesel engine

Nothing to do with Rover or MG, but would be a nice project.Does anyone know what the worlds largest common rail Diesel engine is? How many H.P.? No prizes sorry. Just out of interest.?
Old 26th April 2017, 20:02   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I was on board HMS illustrious once, the powerplant on that is HUGE!!!
Old 26th April 2017, 20:42   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Here you go.

World's largest common-rail engine for A.P. Møller-Maersk
Wartsila Corporation
Trade press release 28 April 2004 at 3:01 AM E. Europe Standard Time
Wärtsilä Corporation, Press release, Trade & Technical Press 28 April, 2004

Wärtsilä Corporation has received a contract to supply main diesel generating sets for a 19,500 tdw product/chemical tanker being built at Shanghai Edward Shipbuilding Co Ltd in the People’s Republic of China. Delivery of the ship is scheduled in August 2005.

Ordered by the Swedish shipowner Rederi AB Donsötank, the newbuilding is a double-acting tanker (DAT)* which is optimised for efficient ice-breaking when going astern and for efficient sailing in open water when going ahead. Propulsion is by a single electrically-driven azimuthing propeller drive.

The 9.3 MWe diesel-electric plant is powered by four generating sets; three sets with Wärtsilä 6L32 diesel engines, each with a maximum continuous output of 2880 kWe at 750 rpm, and the fourth set with a Wärtsilä 4L20 diesel engine of 685 kWe output at 1000 rpm. The engines are scheduled for delivery from the Wärtsilä Vaasa factory in November 2004.

The three Wärtsilä 6L32 engines will be equipped with common-rail fuel injection. The shipowner has adopted common-rail injection because of it enables the engines not to emit visible smoke under any operating conditions.

This will be Donsötank’s fifth vessel equipped with Wärtsilä main engines. The engines have given very satisfactory experience. The first is the “Navigo”, a newbuilding from 1992 with a Wärtsilä 12V32 engine. The “Credo” was re-engined in 1993 also with a Wärtsilä 12V32. The two newbuildings, “Prospero” and “Bro Sincero”, were delivered by Shanghai Edward Shipbuilding in 2000 and 2002 respectively. The latter two vessels have diesel-electric plants, each with four Wärtsilä 9L20 generating sets.

Footnote:
* The double-acting tanker (DAT) was developed by Kvaerner Masa-Yards Inc and the first cargo ship built to this design is the 106,000 dwt crude oil carrier M/T Tempera, which was built in Japan in 2002. The 22.9 MW diesel-electric propulsion plant of this vessel is powered by Wärtsilä diesel engines: two Wärtsilä 9L38B, two Wärtsilä 6L38B and one Wärtsilä 6L26.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 23:45   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Here you go.

World's largest common-rail engine for A.P. Møller-Maersk
Wartsila Corporation
Trade press release 28 April 2004 at 3:01 AM E. Europe Standard Time
Wärtsilä Corporation, Press release, Trade & Technical Press 28 April, 2004

Wärtsilä Corporation has received a contract to supply main diesel generating sets for a 19,500 tdw product/chemical tanker being built at Shanghai Edward Shipbuilding Co Ltd in the People’s Republic of China. Delivery of the ship is scheduled in August 2005.

Ordered by the Swedish shipowner Rederi AB Donsötank, the newbuilding is a double-acting tanker (DAT)* which is optimised for efficient ice-breaking when going astern and for efficient sailing in open water when going ahead. Propulsion is by a single electrically-driven azimuthing propeller drive.

The 9.3 MWe diesel-electric plant is powered by four generating sets; three sets with Wärtsilä 6L32 diesel engines, each with a maximum continuous output of 2880 kWe at 750 rpm, and the fourth set with a Wärtsilä 4L20 diesel engine of 685 kWe output at 1000 rpm. The engines are scheduled for delivery from the Wärtsilä Vaasa factory in November 2004.

The three Wärtsilä 6L32 engines will be equipped with common-rail fuel injection. The shipowner has adopted common-rail injection because of it enables the engines not to emit visible smoke under any operating conditions.

This will be Donsötank’s fifth vessel equipped with Wärtsilä main engines. The engines have given very satisfactory experience. The first is the “Navigo”, a newbuilding from 1992 with a Wärtsilä 12V32 engine. The “Credo” was re-engined in 1993 also with a Wärtsilä 12V32. The two newbuildings, “Prospero” and “Bro Sincero”, were delivered by Shanghai Edward Shipbuilding in 2000 and 2002 respectively. The latter two vessels have diesel-electric plants, each with four Wärtsilä 9L20 generating sets.

Footnote:
* The double-acting tanker (DAT) was developed by Kvaerner Masa-Yards Inc and the first cargo ship built to this design is the 106,000 dwt crude oil carrier M/T Tempera, which was built in Japan in 2002. The 22.9 MW diesel-electric propulsion plant of this vessel is powered by Wärtsilä diesel engines: two Wärtsilä 9L38B, two Wärtsilä 6L38B and one Wärtsilä 6L26.
I'll be damned if I'm changing the big end bearings in that

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 05:53   #5
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
LOOK AT THOSE TINY LITTLE JAPANESE MEN!
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 22:45   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi John. You are on the right lines but, those engines do not develope as much HP as the one I have description of. It is a Wartsila Sulzer RT-96-c. Common Rail Marine. Those you mention are very fast RPM. The above model makes108,920 HP@102 RPM . I have not got the info what it is fitted too.80,080 kW 14 cylinders. Would have a job fitting it in the Rover75.

Last edited by bl52krz; 28th April 2017 at 23:02..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 02:02   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
Or the t cam belt, thermostat and head gasket
Old 29th April 2017, 08:15   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Forget the stone crushers - a nice steam turbine plant was far smoother and quieter.

Bit like the difference between the KV6 and CDT, only more so, but sadly so was the fuel consumption.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 29th April 2017 at 10:15..
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 09:04   #9
DennisA
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

I'm a marine engineer or ex one - chief engineer for 30 years then superintendent and fleet manager etc.

I suppose the old Doxford engines were a fore-runner of the modern common rail systems, opposed piston, two pistons in each liner had a constant pressure in the fuel rails of 6000psi and had mechanical operated injectors from a cam shaft and they burned liquid coal.

Brian - the bottom ends (3 per cylinder for the two pistons in each unit) were huge but easy, you stood inside the crankcase on a ledge and wellied the nuts off with a Monday hammer (28lbs) no hydraulics or even stretch gauges simple man made and man power in every sense of the word.

The best hang-over cure ever invented, at 50'C swinging a Monday hammer in a confined space for an hour in the early morning guaranteed results and gave you more space to drink again in the evening!

Rgds Dennis
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 09:35   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisA View Post
I'm a marine engineer or ex one - chief engineer for 30 years then superintendent and fleet manager etc.

I suppose the old Doxford engines were a fore-runner of the modern common rail systems, opposed piston, two pistons in each liner had a constant pressure in the fuel rails of 6000psi and had mechanical operated injectors from a cam shaft and they burned liquid coal.

Brian - the bottom ends (3 per cylinder for the two pistons in each unit) were huge but easy, you stood inside the crankcase on a ledge and wellied the nuts off with a Monday hammer (28lbs) no hydraulics or even stretch gauges simple man made and man power in every sense of the word.

The best hang-over cure ever invented, at 50'C swinging a Monday hammer in a confined space for an hour in the early morning guaranteed results and gave you more space to drink again in the evening!

Rgds Dennis
Mmm Doxford and slogging spanners

There was one in the Marine Tech College at South Shields Dennis

The timing could be altered to have them running extremely slowly as I recall

Talking of hydraulic stretching of head bolts, the Stork TM410 had something similar for the head bolts, stretch the bolts and nip the nuts hand tight, job done.

I recall being in the engine room of the TS Caledonian Princess and cringing at the open steam turbine casings.

You can't beat a stone crusher though

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote