Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th April 2017, 16:51   #21
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

How does it end up so ?
I am not going to wade in but two members that I have the greatest respect for have a personal view on it. I can see merit and sense and both viewpoints. I'm more than a little paranoid when it comes to belts and always change them if there's any doubt. I've rebuilt four engines over the years that have suffered belt failure (not my own I hasten to add) I have also replaced countless belts that have been fine. I would have my heart in my mouth every time I started up a vehicle with a questionable belt history. You have to decide if you're ready to gamble, Every chance that an extra 1600 on that belt would be very little risk but you have to bite the bullet if it goes bang. You've had the advice from both sides. The course of action is yours and yours alone.

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 17:17   #22
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I have explained to you in full the logic of my way of thinking. You choose to ignore it. It is you who is putting your head in the sand, not me.

I now ask you again politely to withdraw your offensive comment. If not I will report it to the moderators. You have been reprimanded for this sort of behaviour recently.

Simon
Simon, the advice you are touting regarding belt replacement is quite frankly a dangerous game to play.

By all means do with your own car as you see fit, however please don't bother trying to convince other owners that what you are saying is acceptable.

The fact of the matter is simple, these are complex cars, cars when new that were both expensive to purchase and maintain.

Now if you can't see that despite the advance of years, and the low residual perception of monetary value placed upon the cars now, that parts and labour are still a major consideration when maintaining your car correctly, and not doing "half a job".

So the choices are simple, you can.........

A Bury your head in the sand and hope that no ill will befall your car despite there being sound evidence that synchronous belts should be changed as per the manufacturers guidelines.

B Pay someone with the necessary skills to change the prescribed components at the recommended intervals and absorb the cost of doing so as this car is after all your pride and joy

C If you are in the slightest bit mechanically inclined, replace the prescribed components yourself, this will mitigate the costs involved, and also give you an immense sense of satisfaction that you are not only an enthusiastic owner as per option B, but the peace of mind the job has been done to your own exacting standards of workmanship, using only the best materials.

Now if you feel the desire to report me for this opinion, please by all means do so, as my position as regards what I have said is unlikely to change.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 17:21   #23
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Think Trikey mentioned it in earlier thread. The key part is the tensioner and the corerct fitting of it. Original and quality Gates belts will prob outlast the chocolate chinese tensioners some garages use upon belt replacement. Maybe the question should be how often to inspect the tensioner.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 17:27   #24
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
How does it end up so ?
I am not going to wade in but two members that I have the greatest respect for have a personal view on it. I can see merit and sense and both viewpoints. I'm more than a little paranoid when it comes to belts and always change them if there's any doubt. I've rebuilt four engines over the years that have suffered belt failure (not my own I hasten to add) I have also replaced countless belts that have been fine. I would have my heart in my mouth every time I started up a vehicle with a questionable belt history. You have to decide if you're ready to gamble, Every chance that an extra 1600 on that belt would be very little risk but you have to bite the bullet if it goes bang. You've had the advice from both sides. The course of action is yours and yours alone.

Nige
Spoken like a true enthusiast Nige, and like yourself I have dealt with the aftermath of timing belt failure on numerous occasions, one of which where the car belonged to my wife, and was well within the mileage limits prescribed by the manufacturer, and only a few weeks over the recommended age.

What I cannot come to terms with is Simon's viewpoint, to say it is foolhardy is an understatement, and goes completely against his other seemingly meticulous attention to detail, in regards to his car.

There is a case in question and you only need to look HERE to find it.

Brian
Old 27th April 2017, 17:35   #25
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

I am now onto my fourth MG ZT V6, (Still own two) and have always replaced the belts when they were required, at either 6 year or 90k miles which ever came first, in the long run I believe that it works out cheaper, than trying to replace an engine. I have seen the results of belts not being changed on a number of occasions.

I am a great enthusiast of these cars, and believe that they serve us well if looked after and maintained as per the manufacture's recommendations, they make this recommendation for a reason, so follow them and your car will serve you well

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 17:37   #26
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_of_British View Post
Think Trikey mentioned it in earlier thread. The key part is the tensioner and the corerct fitting of it. Original and quality Gates belts will prob outlast the chocolate chinese tensioners some garages use upon belt replacement. Maybe the question should be how often to inspect the tensioner.

Behold a front timing belt as once fitted to a 190 MGZT.

This engine this belt was originally fitted to had no problems with the tensioner or water pump whatsoever, and the belt itself had snapped on engine startup.

In regards to inspection of the tensioner, the amount of component renewal required to get at it, and remove the tension from the belt to allow it's removal to properly inspect, you may as well go the whole hog and replace the belt while in there.

Belts can and do fail, I've dealt with the aftermath of enough engines to confirm that pre planned preventative maintenance is far cheaper and far more desirable than repair

Brian
Old 27th April 2017, 17:44   #27
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

It's a dice rolling exercise. It's always the unknowns. I certainly remember (not that long ago) reading a thread in this forum where a stone chip was imbedded in a V6 belt. A couple on months back I picked up a Renault Megane Tourer (please don't laugh) for my wife. The service history shows a belt change at 36.000 and the car has 170,000 on the clock. Do the math !!! Needless to say the car has new belts now. Blind luck maybe, certainly an owner left to the mercy of local mechanics. £100 for a crank sensor.
That's the sum total of my input to this thread, other than to say, we're all here today but none of us are getting any younger so (like a timing belt) we may be history tomorrow. Let's not get angry maybe just agree to disagree whatever ones opinion may be and let the OP deduce what he may.

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 17:54   #28
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Agree once its stripped may as well go full replacement with quality parts. These threads concentrate on rubber perishing and rightly so but if I bought another scrapper and it had receipt for belts done I still would not trust it as most replacement parts are rubbish and and a step backwards not preventative maintainance. I cant speak from experiance as I have only seen one belt and on that it was the tensioner that was most worn. I have no doubt that belts can let go at anytime and keeping to service schedule will minimise risk. We could do with a quality parts thread, I have book marked T4 phils recomendation for belt kits, the battle with these car for me is sourcing quality parts.

Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 18:27   #29
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
I am a great enthusiast of these cars, and believe that they serve us well if looked after and maintained as per the manufacture's recommendations, they make this recommendation for a reason, so follow them and your car will serve you well

Stu
Totally agree Stu, but quality parts must be fitted, otherwise you might as well ignore the manufactures recommendations.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 19:42   #30
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Totally agree Stu, but quality parts must be fitted, otherwise you might as well ignore the manufactures recommendations.
Wes

Totally agree with you, took me two months to find a genuine V6 Water Pump, which is now fitted to my tourer

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote