Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th March 2017, 14:02   #11
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Well! Just heard back from the mechanic and according to him it was a pipe that was loose or had come off or was broken (couldn't make out what he actually said!) from the turbo and now it is fine.

The garage that sold me the car is, however, saying that this isn't covered under warranty as it isn't an engine fault and are therefore not paying for the repair.
The reason I bought the car from a garage was so that it was covered for a couple of months in case anything went wrong. I could have got the same spec car with lower mileage (and not full of water) from eBay for about £650, but I paid the £950 to a dealer, the £300 being an insurance against issues such as this.

Am I wrong in being exceptionally annoyed at this? Afterall, I fixed the leaks and the CD player myself, have done the flushing to clear the heater exchange matrix myself, fixed the light gaskets and didn't just take the car back and demand he did them. I also still have to valet the car to get the mould out of the carpets and get rid of the smell of damp now it is dry, AND make a new boot plate as the wooden one is warped and black from the standing water.

Thinking I ought to have taken this thing back and got one from a member on here. No warranty or anything, but I'd be in the same boat anyway with an extra £300 to fix stuff.

Picking the car up after work this afternoon, and I shall see if it is actually fixed and not just being fobbed off.
Does the mechanic work for the garage where you bought it? If not, and they did not pre-agree to him working on it, you don't have a leg to stand on.

To get it resolved foc requires that you returned it to the supplying garage and stated that it was not fit for purpose. It is then up to them to get it fixed or return your money (and trade-in if applicable)
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 07:45   #12
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Well, the mechanic was the one that the garage told me to take it to as they don't do repairs themselves, and they agreed that he'd look at it, so it was their responsibility.
When I got there, the turbo thing was a £10 pipe fix which they did indeed pay for. The replacing the radiator water with speed flush stuff (some make only available to the trade and is the best, according to the guy) and tightening the handbrake were done because I asked him to, and it was this that was the £50, so I am perfectly happy with that. Just didn't want to feel robbed, if you know what I mean.
I will drive the car for a bit, then replace the flush with proper engine saving juice and hopefully have the heater matrix working properly and nice clean engine!

And I drove the car pretty hard, and the lag has indeed gone! The mechanic said he worked for Rover for 30 years, that the head gasket will fail at some point, the only way to minimise this is by driving very gently and not hammering it ever, but they are a good car and this one seems sound. Well, now the judder and the leaks are done, that is!

I mentioned the spark plug gap and he said it isn't that critical.
He also said that if I were to upgrade the CHG as a precautionary measure, I'd have to have the head skimmed. Well, if there's nothing wrong with the head when it comes off, why would I have to have it skimmed before I put it back on? Seems unnecessary to me, but then, what do I know?

Anyway, drives nice now, but not really doing anything "fun" in it as it doesn't have proper engine coolant in at the moment.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote