Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th March 2017, 15:42   #1
chunkytrucker
Regular poster

2005 tourer contemporary se 1.8t

Default Back box issue !

Hi , I'm trying to change the back box on my 1.8t tourer but the one I had sent to me from a breakers doesn't want to fit . I'm thinking I've been sent a saloon back box due to the tailpipes being slightly shorter than the one I took off the car . Are the saloon and tourer pipes a different diameter ? I've tried grinding and smoothing the pipe off in order to try and get the parts to marry up but it's just not having it . I'm also regretting not going to use my dads pit which would have made things easier too . I just thought the replacement back box would slip over the pipe on the centre section and Bob would indeed be ones Uncle ��

Last edited by chunkytrucker; 25th March 2017 at 15:43.. Reason: Cold fingers , unable to type!!
chunkytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 15:20   #2
mossrose
Regular poster

2004 Rover 75 1.8T Tourer; 1969 MGB; 1971 Jaguar XJ6 S1

The exhaust pipe for the turbo is of a greater diameter than the n/a cars (c60mm as opposed to c50mm od). Are you sure that the replacement box come off a turbo charged car?
mossrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 20:14   #3
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Sounds like they've sent you a 1.8 saloon back box, as the tailpipes on the Tourer are just over an inch and a half longer on the Tourer and the 1.8t has a 60 mm inlet as opposed to the 52 mm inlet on the standard car. Basically, you've been sold the wrong part and need to return it to the Breaker. Had a quick look on eBay and this was the cheapest correct part I could find. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-1...MAAOSwvg9Xc4bx
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 20:46   #4
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price View Post
Sounds like they've sent you a 1.8 saloon back box, as the tailpipes on the Tourer are just over an inch and a half longer on the Tourer and the 1.8t has a 60 mm inlet as opposed to the 52 mm inlet on the standard car. Basically, you've been sold the wrong part and need to return it to the Breaker. Had a quick look on eBay and this was the cheapest correct part I could find. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-1...MAAOSwvg9Xc4bx
See, and I put my car details into the 'check if this part fits your car' boxes, and it doesn't, apparently. So no, the link posted here is not for a tourer back box, although it says it is. DO NOT rely on EBay info for your back box, you must give your reg to a supplier who can confirm your order and if it's wrong it's their fault. Lesson learnt the hard way.
Also recommend you make sure it's the clam-shell design, not tubular, for good fit.
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote