Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th March 2017, 19:41   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default it seems you have no defence

just been looking around the web. If you as a law abiding citizen that want to have something on you to protect yourself against attack when alone on a train, bus, walking down the road, it seems you are very limited in choice.
It would seem that whatever you choose to defend yourself, is a weapon and your not allowed to have a weapon. A woman for example cannot have pepper spray.

I fully understand that if a law abiding citizen can carry something for defence then this same item can be carried by an assailant for the sake of this post, that is a different issue.

Is this why we have victims because they cannot defend themselves???????

from https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm
self defence products which claim to be legal (e.g. non toxic sprays), however, until a test case is brought before the court, we cannot confirm their legality or endorse them. If you purchase one you must be aware that if you are stopped by the police and have it in your possession there is always a possibility that you will be arrested and detained until the product, it's contents and legality can be verified.
However, accepting there is a lot of concern about street crime, we can try to clarify matters a little by putting forward the following points.
  • You must not get a product which is made or adapted to cause a person injury. Possession of such a product in public (and in private in specific circumstances) is against the law.
  • There are products which squirt a relatively safe, brightly coloured dye (as opposed to a pepper spray). A properly designed product of this nature, used in the way it is intended, should not be able to cause an injury.
  • However, be aware that even a seemingly safe product, deliberately aimed and sprayed in someone's eyes, would become an offensive weapon because it would be used in a way that was intended to cause injury.
  • Any products bought from abroad have a greater chance of being illegal.
The above advice is given in good faith, you must make your own decision and this website cannot be held responsible for the consequences of the possession, use or misuse of any self defence product.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 19:55   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

This country, last time I looked, is still inhabited by people of high moral standards, of ethics which do not need weapons to be carried, by normal people going about their business, even the bobby on the beat has minimal defensive utilities. What do you suggest we become like the US where everyone carries a firearm & you shoot people at will If you think we all need to have some sort of weapon to carry on our day to day business, then I think our democracy has failed, & law & order is no longer our democratic right
We are better than that
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 21:01   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
This country, last time I looked, is still inhabited by people of high moral standards, of ethics which do not need weapons to be carried, by normal people going about their business, even the bobby on the beat has minimal defensive utilities. What do you suggest we become like the US where everyone carries a firearm & you shoot people at will If you think we all need to have some sort of weapon to carry on our day to day business, then I think our democracy has failed, & law & order is no longer our democratic right
We are better than that
no I am not suggesting the use of guns, far from it. Using some of your words - people of high moral standards, of ethics, normal people going about their business... have little choice of "weapon" when it comes to being able to defend themselves against those that wish to rob them or harm them. I think that's my point.
we do not need a weapon to do our daily tasks but alas a few people of high moral standards, of ethics, normal people going about their business will need a defensive item to be able to get home safe and sound

let me ask you, what do you suggest?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 21:06   #4
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
An air operated siren is good idea. If it doesn't scare the....... out of the person it will also summon help where a spray wont.
Old 25th March 2017, 21:27   #5
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Oh I dunno so much, arming the police doesn't suggest democracy has failed.

All our police are armed, statistically over the last ten years our police have shot fewer people than their english counterparts.

That's a strange stat isn't it?
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 21:30   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Many tradesmen will carry tools that can easily be used as a weapon to protect yourself, even tools in your toolbox in the boot of you car could easily be used/mistaken as weapons.

You can carrying a folding pocket knife with a blade of less than 3 inches in length when going camping, but doubt you would get away with it taking it to the pub, unless you have a very good reason.

A set of car keys can be used as a weapon when held correctly to defend oneself, I've taught my wife and daughters this. Also a pair of women's stiletto heel shoes can do some serious damaged to a person, many women already know this.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 21:54   #7
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

The biggest mistake that we made after the Dunblane massacre, was to close down the gun Clubs and disarm the population. We now have no way of protecting ourselves, against anything, which in my opinion, is a retrograde step.
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 05:30   #8
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
We are better than that
Good morning Ronnie, unfortunately the thug or the villain will not hold the moral standard you describe and will only think of themselves and not about the welfare for the victim. In 2013 we had a major problem with armed robberies on the farm in South Africa and one of our neighbours gave me an handgun for protection. We had a very good relationship with a farms liaison officer. He told me that if I killed a robber with the gun protecting myself and Jessica, I would go to prison as I did not have a licence for that gun. In that scenario, the thug had more rights. He also told me what to to get round the problem. I returned the gun to the neighbour and we hired private armed guards to protect us. Eventually the thugs got the message and left us alone. I suppose what I am saying is that not all societies subscribe to the high moral standards and law biding citizens have the right to legally defend themselves. You might not agree?

In Kenya at home, we have attack dogs at night and the guards do not carry guns, they prefer to carry spears, bows and arrows

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 26th March 2017 at 05:35..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 06:02   #9
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Is this why we have victims because they cannot defend themselves
They can do so, but it has to be reasonable force. Everyone has a right to self defence in the uk.

Here's the long winded version.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/self_defence/

hth

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 06:33   #10
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price View Post
The biggest mistake that we made after the Dunblane massacre, was to close down the gun Clubs and disarm the population. We now have no way of protecting ourselves, against anything, which in my opinion, is a retrograde step.
I really cannot believe your post. So you are saying that the population should be armed just like the US.................. The US have enough nutters, indiscriminately shooting innocent children and you have the cheek to mention Dunblane.
With the rise of terrorism over the last few years making access to guns easier than it is now we would be in a far worse position. Yes guns can be got hold of but a free for all..... no way
My EX boss was/is a licensed gun holder but he had a terrible temper and got massively violent to the extent after one altercation one day the other chap who left told him in no uncertain terms he would be reporting him as unfit to hold such license. Like I say no more nutters with guns, I'm not even in favour of gun clubs, the members need far stricter checks done on them.