Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th January 2017, 10:28   #1
CATEX
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default computer security.

On two occasions this morning while searching for spares, clicked on site screen went red telling me I have a security problem, and to dial 0800 046 5719 to solve problem. I could not clear red screen what ever I tried, had to turn off supply. Turned computer back on searched google for the said telephone number, to be informed it was a social fun number. Checked my computer for security, no problems found.
Continued with my search on a different, it happened once again but the last four numbers were different. had to shut down to clear. Is there any way I can clear it if it happens again, and how can I avoid such sites. This is the first time it has happened in many years. Any help would be appreciated . Fred
CATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 10:50   #2
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Have you tried System Rdstore.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 10:51   #3
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Sorry, that should read System Restore.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 11:08   #4
Gren 24
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE CDTI

It Sounds like Malware.Download the Free Malwarebytes and run the scan. Link below and do the scan every 2 weeks to a month. Its one of the best and its free to use on a home comouter.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Old 26th January 2017, 11:12   #5
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

I think this may be a result of malware or even ransomware on your system. Don't ring the number at all. Go to filehippo.com and download MalwareBytes, then run it and see what it comes up with. Ditto CCleaner, if you don't have it. EDIT I see Gren_24 has provided the direct link for the first one.

You haven't said what sort of system you are running, what browser you're using etc but hopefully you have Windows Defender.

The way a lot of malware, trojans etc access your machine is by "spoofing", i.e. sending out what appear to be legitimate emails in the hope that the recipient will click on a link that then installs the dodgy program. For example, I occasionally get emails with the title "Receipt for your purchase from the iTunes Store" (even though I have never bought anything from the iTunes store!) or "There is a problem with your Paypal account", with a subsequent instruction to "Click here to contact us". Or perhaps something purporting to be from your bank, especially if you actually do use online banking.

Never click on any links, attachments etc in such emails. Usually, if you hover your mouse pointer over the sender's email address (WITHOUT clicking on it), the actual email address will appear and you will probably be able to see whether it looks kosher or not. Either way, if you think there may be a genuine issue to be resolved then you should contact the company directly, not via the email they appear to have sent you.

If you haven't backed up your system already and/or made copies of important files & documents that are stored on a separate drive, I strongly suggest you do so as soon as you can.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 11:35   #6
Gren 24
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
I think this may be a result of malware or even ransomware on your system. Don't ring the number at all. Go to filehippo.com and download MalwareBytes, then run it and see what it comes up with. Ditto CCleaner, if you don't have it. EDIT I see Gren_24 has provided the direct link for the first one.

You haven't said what sort of system you are running, what browser you're using etc but hopefully you have Windows Defender.

The way a lot of malware, trojans etc access your machine is by "spoofing", i.e. sending out what appear to be legitimate emails in the hope that the recipient will click on a link that then installs the dodgy program. For example, I occasionally get emails with the title "Receipt for your purchase from the iTunes Store" (even though I have never bought anything from the iTunes store!) or "There is a problem with your Paypal account", with a subsequent instruction to "Click here to contact us". Or perhaps something purporting to be from your bank, especially if you actually do use online banking.

Never click on any links, attachments etc in such emails. Usually, if you hover your mouse pointer over the sender's email address (WITHOUT clicking on it), the actual email address will appear and you will probably be able to see whether it looks kosher or not. Either way, if you think there may be a genuine issue to be resolved then you should contact the company directly, not via the email they appear to have sent you.

If you haven't backed up your system already and/or made copies of important files & documents that are stored on a separate drive, I strongly suggest you do so as soon as you can.
I have to agree on what andmc says apart from windows defender, it is of little use go for one of the free antivirus such as Avast link below

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/download...E&locale=en-gb
Old 26th January 2017, 11:45   #7
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I've had this a few times in the past when searching the web. I found the easiest way to sort it was to open Windows Task Manager and use it to force close the browser.

In my case, a search for malware, viruses etc found all was clean, so I suspect it was the websites that were the problem rather than my PC.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6

Last edited by Teflon; 26th January 2017 at 11:47..
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 12:16   #8
CATEX
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Thanks very much for your speedy replies, I will check out my system and see what I am running. What bothers me most is it has the ability to freeze my computer and the only to get back on is to shut off supply.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:27   #9
CATEX
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Just checked, I have windows 10, with Windows defender, on scanning no problems shown and all is protected !!!!!
Old 26th January 2017, 12:34   #10
OBC John
Regular poster

Jaguar XF-S

Rule of thumb; if you receive an email that you were not expecting and that asks you to do something - open an attachment, click on a link, - just delete it!

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎