Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th January 2017, 06:55   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Car in gear but not moving

Hello everybody, so yesterday this thing happened, I was just driving around in the city, shifted in 2nd gear, and just normally left the foot off the clutch pedal, drove in second gear for like 10-20 yards and then suddenly, heard some kind of a weird sound, the shifting knob stayed in 2nd gear, but all of a sudden the car wasn't accelerating anymore, still tried to push the acceleration pedal, but it was just going up in RPM's with no acceleration, just like I would've accelerated in neutral gear, tried shifting to 1st gear to get it going, it kinda struggled for one more last push and moved maybe some couple inches, and then the same happened. I checked beneath the car for any planetary gear issues, but that doesn't seem to be the issue, I might be thinking it is either the clutch or the pinion gear? Anyone thinking of another possibilities?
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 09:18   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If you haven't snapped a driveshaft, or got a fault with the gear selector cables, then I'm afraid it is a gearbox off job to find the cause.

Could be a broken clutch plate, DMF, or a fault with the gearbox itself - although that would be rare as they are usually very reliable.

If I was putting any money on it I'd bet the centre has sheared off from the clutch plate.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 10:01   #3
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I didn't quite get that, what do you mean about the centre sheared off from the clutch plate?
Old 12th January 2017, 10:20   #4
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

And also, if that would be the case, could you please send me a link in PM with a reliable replacement part(s), because my workshops here have very high prices parts wisely...
Old 12th January 2017, 10:39   #5
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
And also, if that would be the case, could you please send me a link in PM with a reliable replacement part(s), because my workshops here have very high prices parts wisely...
Could be something like that ,anyways ,dismantling is required

Parts possible source

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...smission-parts

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 10:57   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
I didn't quite get that, what do you mean about the centre sheared off from the clutch plate?
As Mike's photo shows the centre can rip out of the clutch plate.

Quote:
Sorry but I haven't bought one for a couple of years, and the last one I did buy didn't get a good review on the forum.

I'm sure someone can provide you with a source for reasonably priced good quality clutch components.

Change the complete clutch and the slave cylinder while you are in there, and check the DMF play is within the limits - there is a guide on the forum if you do a search.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 12:12   #7
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/search?q=clutch

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

t5tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 10:07   #8
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Driveshaft popped out?
If not, I'd put my money on DMF failure.
Only removal of the gearbox will reveal all.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 14:48   #9
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

As far as I could've seen, I mean yeah it was dark and I could only take a peak with my flashlight (I was waiting for the towing truck to arrive), the driveshaft didn't seem to be the issue, shfited in 1st gear got out of the car but no wiggles underneath the car, no movement at all from the driveshaft, I am still waiting for a call from my local service, the car has still been in there for the last 2 days but they're quite congestioned now and only monday they're going to start looking into it. Thank you all guys for your info on this, helps a lot!

EDIT: And btw, I replaced the slave cylinder like 2 weeks ago, forgot to mention about it, because of having no pedal at all, and I can know 100% sure that the labour work was done 100% flawless, there's 2 guys in there that are just topline pros and they take extra care for details too (I've finished a lot of special projects with them for another 2 cars of mine and that's why I'm saying it, one of them dissembled a whole Jeep Wrangler YJ of mine piece by piece and installed almost every new part back to it's place with mods needed to be done for everything to work, it was an offroad jeep project). Now we'll see. I tend to think that maybe I couldn't see nothing because something was broken from inside the transmission, could be that too.

Last edited by Rsnail; 14th January 2017 at 14:56..
Old 14th January 2017, 15:14   #10
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
As far as I could've seen, I mean yeah it was dark and I could only take a peak with my flashlight (I was waiting for the towing truck to arrive), the driveshaft didn't seem to be the issue, shfited in 1st gear got out of the car but no wiggles underneath the car, no movement at all from the driveshaft, I am still waiting for a call from my local service, the car has still been in there for the last 2 days but they're quite congestioned now and only monday they're going to start looking into it. Thank you all guys for your info on this, helps a lot!

EDIT: And btw, I replaced the slave cylinder like 2 weeks ago, forgot to mention about it, because of having no pedal at all, and I can know 100% sure that the labour work was done 100% flawless, there's 2 guys in there that are just topline pros and they take extra care for details too (I've finished a lot of special projects with them for another 2 cars of mine and that's why I'm saying it, one of them dissembled a whole Jeep Wrangler YJ of mine piece by piece and installed almost every new part back to it's place with mods needed to be done for everything to work, it was an offroad jeep project). Now we'll see. I tend to think that maybe I couldn't see nothing because something was broken from inside the transmission, could be that too.
Hum,interesting to know that ,so i would say the NS circlip differential retention is not correctly in place (part 9)

driveshaft not pushed fully home

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001540

Mike

Last edited by FrenchMike; 14th January 2017 at 16:17..
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote