Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd March 2017, 23:42   #21
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Okay, well I've spoken to some penguins and we feel that using the same kind of logic, what's known as a handbrake is a parking brake.

So if I one is pausing in a queue of traffic at traffic signals, then one is not parked!

So holding the vehicle on the footbrake is absolutely fine!

Some cars and buses actually illuminate the brake lamps when the parking brake is applied anyway.

If brake lamps are so irritating, my penguins and I have a solution though. Take the bus- and sit in a rearward facing seat, or use a train- they don't have brake lamps.

Trams do however.

And we all know that outside London, most places have a pretty poor public transport system.

That being the case, it's probably better to accept the odd brake lamp thing and just concentrate on driving.

������������������

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:48   #22
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

At the risk of upsetting your penguins - the highway code agrees with John

You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. YouMUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 00:55   #23
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.mc.g View Post
At the risk of upsetting your penguins - the highway code agrees with John

You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. YouMUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27
I'm guessing this doesn't apply to motorcycles.
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:35   #24
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Which none out in the US ever seem to use, they virtually all sit in D at traffic lights or when traffic stops for whatever reason.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:24   #25
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

Mind you, if a few seconds of sitting behind an illuminated brake light drives you to distraction I'd hate to see your reaction when something REALLY serious happens. Like flashing the indicators four times when you've decided that three is sufficient. How long have you decided that a vehicle can sit at lights on the foot brake before the traffic vigilantes start blowing a gasket? Ten seconds? Twenty seconds? Half a minute? Who decides? And at the end of the day is this any more "dazzling" than ridiculous, over-bright factory-or-retro-fitted HID or LED headlights coming towards you?

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:43   #26
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hog View Post
Mind you, if a few seconds of sitting behind an illuminated brake light drives you to distraction I'd hate to see your reaction when something REALLY serious happens. Like flashing the indicators four times when you've decided that three is sufficient. How long have you decided that a vehicle can sit at lights on the foot brake before the traffic vigilantes start blowing a gasket? Ten seconds? Twenty seconds? Half a minute? Who decides? And at the end of the day is this any more "dazzling" than ridiculous, over-bright factory-or-retro-fitted HID or LED headlights coming towards you?

Hear hear! And of course if Suzublu is in from or behind, one may be dazzled and distracted by all the chrome; if I am in front or behind, one may be dazzled by my sheer brilliance!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:10   #27
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Idiot HGV drivers who think it's fun to drive 12" behind the HGV in front.

Idiot HGV drivers who take 20 minutes to pass the HGV in front who is travelling 1mph slower on a dual carriageway.

Idiot HGV drivers who indicate to overtake the HGV in front and then pull out immediately, clearly without reference to their rear view mirrors.

Idiot HGV drivers. That's it.

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:15   #28
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

People who blame BMW and Audi drivers. They must have an emotional problem with them. Ok, Rover drivers who all have a pipe and slippers and are all over 60.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:19   #29
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Drivers who keep on tapping their brake pedal for no reason. Brake lights on off all the time. They must be nervous drivers or something like it. The other one is not using indicators but don't get me started on that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's called comfort braking and it annoys me as well.

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:22   #30
Fox3
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi and MG ZT 190

1. Mentioned before, but fog lights. In particular rear ones.

Especially when sat in nose to tail traffic crawling along through town, or the worst, used when its raining on the motorway.

If you can see me behind you, you don't need your fog lights. Should be used like full beam in my opinion.

2. Incorrectly adjusted headlights. Probably more noticeable now headlights are considerably brighter.