Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th March 2017, 10:28   #1
Ros3
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 saloon (gone to the Rover garage in the sky), Mazda mx5 Phoenix.

Default Just got a new camera and looking to get into the hobby..

So I have had an interest in photography for a while now but it has never gone much farther than snaps of the kids on holiday ect.. But I decided that the time was right to look at getting a new camera, so I bought a Canon EOS 1300D.. So far it seems all good but I really was looking for some advice on what accessories I need to buy to move on with the hobby.. Anybody give me some advice please. ??..
Ros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 10:55   #2
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I would say the first thing is to understand fully how the camera settings can be controlled to obtain the picture you desire. Being able to use the camera in manual mode and be confident on getting a good result.(maybe you can already)

For accessories it really depends on what field of photography you wish to try next maybe

Landscape
Portrait
Action/sports
Macro
etc.

Each type of photography would maybe require different accessories.

Some accessories that most photographers would feel are a must to keep in their bag/cupboard

Tripod
Different lenses
Bag to keep it all in
External flash
Remote trigger

I am sure others will think of a few more things but I use all those things regularly.

This guy does good videos on all things photographic, here is a video on controlling the 1300d

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 11:31   #3
Ros3
This is my second home

That's great thanks for that mate, I already have a tripod and a bag to keep everything in.. Do I really need an external flash ?. The flash on the camera seems fine, the camera can take an external flash though... I'm off to watch the video now.
Old 18th March 2017, 13:21   #4
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros3 View Post
That's great thanks for that mate, I already have a tripod and a bag to keep everything in.. Do I really need an external flash ?. The flash on the camera seems fine, the camera can take an external flash though... I'm off to watch the video now.
I should have said off camera flash, not just external.

The flash would be needed (or some kind of lighting) if you were to get really keen on portraits or some macro shots etc. We all start using the onboard flash but no serious portrait photographer would use a flash mounted on the camera for portraits.

The flash is not the first thing on the list of things buy but I included it as one of the things that I personally use quite a bit and would be lost without.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 14:32   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I would have said tripod as well, as the main thing, I'd also suggest a mini tripod or grip mount as well - most of the time you won't carry the tripod out and about unless you absolutely know you'll want it. A little one you can set up on top of a wall or picnic table etc. is well worth it. I wouldn't bother about flash until you know you'll need one. In the meantime just try to get good well lit shots with no flash. Camera mounted flash vary quite a lot in their usefulness, some just make everything wash out no matter how you set them, and the majority will give red-eye on portraits. Best other suggestions is spare batteries so you always have one charged and ready, it's a real downer when you realise that you have a photo opportunity but the camera is 'dead'. and make sure you have way more memory storage than you think you'll need.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 15:35   #6
Ros3
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I would have said tripod as well, as the main thing, I'd also suggest a mini tripod or grip mount as well - most of the time you won't carry the tripod out and about unless you absolutely know you'll want it. A little one you can set up on top of a wall or picnic table etc. is well worth it. I wouldn't bother about flash until you know you'll need one. In the meantime just try to get good well lit shots with no flash. Camera mounted flash vary quite a lot in their usefulness, some just make everything wash out no matter how you set them, and the majority will give red-eye on portraits. Best other suggestions is spare batteries so you always have one charged and ready, it's a real downer when you realise that you have a photo opportunity but the camera is 'dead'. and make sure you have way more memory storage than you think you'll need.
Yip, I think a second battery is a good idea. Had a look on Ebay, there's a lot for my camera cheap and dear.. Should I just pick up a cheapo for my spare or go the full hog and get an official one ??..
Old 18th March 2017, 19:05   #7
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I bought a duracell battery for my canon. I think it seems to last a bit longer than the Canon battery.. That might be my imagination though...

I am assuming you only have the kit lens 18-55??
I bought an 18-200 Tamron lens for my Canon and it works great! It does almost everything I could possibly want it to without the need to change lenses.
I bought this lens so I could travel a bit lighter when I visited Japan last month.
It's made my 18-55 lens obsolete, but means I'm not constantly having to change lenses.
The only thing I would have done differently would have been to buy an 18-300 lens instead.
Now I am considering buying one with a larger zoom, but it is low down on the spend list at the moment. (I like (trying to) take moon pictures.)

As already said, get a couple of large high speed SD cards.
Old 18th March 2017, 19:17   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros3 View Post
Yip, I think a second battery is a good idea. Had a look on Ebay, there's a lot for my camera cheap and dear.. Should I just pick up a cheapo for my spare or go the full hog and get an official one ??..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I bought a duracell battery for my canon. I think it seems to last a bit longer than the Canon battery.. That might be my imagination though...

I am assuming you only have the kit lens 18-55??
I bought an 18-200 Tamron lens for my Canon and it works great! It does almost everything I could possibly want it to without the need to change lenses.
I bought this lens so I could travel a bit lighter when I visited Japan last month.
It's made my 18-55 lens obsolete, but means I'm not constantly having to change lenses.
The only thing I would have done differently would have been to buy an 18-300 lens instead.
Now I am considering buying one with a larger zoom, but it is low down on the spend list at the moment. (I like (trying to) take moon pictures.)

As already said, get a couple of large high speed SD cards.

As long as the spare battery is known brand there's no need to buy 'proper' they are always overpriced anyway. A flexible zoom as suggested is useful but does make the camera heavier to handle - and you may want to just check on the available apertures at various zooms - you may have a lower f-stop on the standard 55mm lens than you will on a 18-200 at the same 55m focal length. Having said that I generally prefer a longer focal length than 55mm for everything. (until I want wide angle of course!)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 21:55   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Shameless plug.......

I've got a couple of nice Sigma Canon fit lenses for sale here.......

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=235425

P.s, I'm with Paul on the use of external/off camera Flash.
Pretty much all my cat portraits use flash, even outside in bright sunlight to provide fill in/catch lights

Last edited by coolcat; 18th March 2017 at 21:59..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:42   #10
Ros3
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Shameless plug.......

I've got a couple of nice Sigma Canon fit lenses for sale here.......

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=235425

P.s, I'm with Paul on the use of external/off camera Flash.
Pretty much all my cat portraits use flash, even outside in bright sunlight to provide fill in/catch lights
That a lot of cash mate, but maybe down the line when I am more experienced