Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th March 2017, 09:10   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Driving licence -over 70

I have just received mine, though a few months to run yet....

I had the old green paper licence and enquired with DVLA the process to renew. The sent me the form to fill in, but probably the form would turn up anyway 90 days/ 3 months before it was due.

My passport had expired, I felt no further need for it now.

The form needed me to tick a box saying I didn't suffer any health issues and a separate box for a need for glasses when driving.

It required a passport photo, signed and dated, the signatory then had to fill in a section stating who they were. I got my local councillor mate to drop in and sign it.

They needed some document of proof, that you were you - passport, utility bill or etc. I sent them pension update letter, with a note not to bother returning it.

Hearing of numerous people complaining that they had lost driving entitlements in error, I decided NOT to include my old paper licence, but ticked the box for it had been lost.

The renewal is free of cost, though it cost me a fiver for the photo.

It seems to last until 2020, three years.
The new photo licence turned up this morning and it seems to last until 2020, three years.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 09:32   #2
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Welcome to the Victor Meldrew appreciation group.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 13:13   #3
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Did mine earlier this month, I already had a photo licence, so it was dead easy to do it online. Submitted it on the Tuesday evening, received it 8.30 Friday morning. No new photo, no back up docs, no signature!

The only thing was I lost groups C1 and D1, vehicles over 3500kg and minibuses over 8 passengers. I could have kept these, following a medical, but the last time I drove either of these was in 1993, taking aid to Romania in a 7.5 tonner, so I didn't think I needed them!
Old 24th March 2017, 18:11   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Did mine earlier this month, I already had a photo licence, so it was dead easy to do it online. Submitted it on the Tuesday evening, received it 8.30 Friday morning. No new photo, no back up docs, no signature!

The only thing was I lost groups C1 and D1, vehicles over 3500kg and minibuses over 8 passengers. I could have kept these, following a medical, but the last time I drove either of these was in 1993, taking aid to Romania in a 7.5 tonner, so I didn't think I needed them!
Same here, but I heard tales of people loosing there entitlement to ride motorcycles too, in the applications and no way to recover them without retaking the tests. Like you I am unlikely to need my C1 and D1 now, so not a problem.

My new photo licence has my photo as an hologram on the reverse - I have never been an hologram before

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 24th March 2017, 19:12   #5
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Hi Harry,

I must admit I telephoned DVLA - I'm retired so I could hang on all day to get through - to clarify exactly what losing C1 and D1 meant, and having heard of folks losing the bike group, I asked about this too. I'm not sure which licence I use to drive the three wheeler, so it was important to keep all I could.

Apparently most of he 'lost' groups occur with applications made by post, not online, presumably there's human input! I photocopied my licence, and printed out an entitlement code from the DVLA site before I pressed the submit button.

Malcolm
Old 25th March 2017, 07:57   #6
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Watchdog did a thing on this whereby they got a motorcyclist who had been riding for 30 years and the DVLA had lost his entitlement. The programme contacted the DVLA to be told
Quote!!!! "The DVLA can't make mistakes, and it doesn't make mistakes."

The best part about this was the motorcyclist had a copy of his old licence, signed and witnessed by a lawyer, but the DVLA refused to accept they could have made a mistake and the guy ended up having to retake his test at his own cost.

DVLA. Government body. CAN'T make mistakes? Er....isn't that an oxymoron?

I took my passport to Swansea in person because they lose far too many in the post, and again, there is ZERO culpability from them.

Eveil, evil, nasty, useless, money grabbing pieces of effluent, as helpful as a stinkbomb in a trapped elevator. If there's one agency that needs scrapping and starting again it is them useless, self-aggrandising naughtyword-s!
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 10:36   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Watchdog did a thing on this whereby they got a motorcyclist who had been riding for 30 years and the DVLA had lost his entitlement. The programme contacted the DVLA to be told
Quote!!!! "The DVLA can't make mistakes, and it doesn't make mistakes."

The best part about this was the motorcyclist had a copy of his old licence, signed and witnessed by a lawyer, but the DVLA refused to accept they could have made a mistake and the guy ended up having to retake his test at his own cost.

I remember that on Watchdog, but my own experience since I began driving, has been one of them getting it right every time. These things are much easier and slicker than they once were via online applications. I was just concerned hearing the stories, that I felt it sensible not to send off my old licence so ticked the 'lost' box.

This morning I received back from the DVLA, the document I included with my application as proof, my DWP pension notification. I had suggested on the form there was no need for them to return it.

Things do occasionally get lost in the post, unfair to blame the agencies for that. I always try to cover myself against such happening, but it is not always possible when they insist on original documents.