Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2011, 17:40   #11
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Jules,

I think we've established that there is no sensor. Let's take it that there was a small glitch that arose from going over the bump I described in my opening post. I get the impression that there's abit of one upmanship going on here and we can't have that as we are meant to be helping each other not raising controversy.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 17:47   #12
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

If it is in the software, no doubt there will be an input pin for it on the ECU.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 17:51   #13
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
If it is in the software, no doubt there will be an input pin for it on the ECU.
Harry, I don't know if we should pursue this one any further. I'm just going to keep an eye on the temp gauge and occasionally check the fluid level.
Old 13th February 2011, 20:38   #14
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
Jules/Tsautos,

Also I don't see a low windscreen wash level indication because I never let it get that low but I might let it run down just for the hell of it!!!
Denis you might be surprised if you do - mine has never worked from new. One of those jobs on the list to do when everything else has been done - currently sitting at number 8.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:41   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The message centre coolant level icon is described in the MGR 2004 handbook (diesel only) but was never implemented. Wonder why the engine that least needs it was chosen, rather than the K18/KV6??

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:51   #16
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The message centre coolant level icon is described in the MGR 2004 handbook (diesel only) but was never implemented. Wonder why the engine that least needs it was chosen, rather than the K18/KV6??

TC
Probably because it was standard on BMW engines.
Then when BMW or Rover realised it was needed more on the rest of the range it was dropped.
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 21:04   #17
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

TC
I'll let you into a secret: they dropped it in favour of DMCT - Dual Medium Cooling Technology. If the M47R runs out of coolant it switches to air cooling!

What other explanation can there be for never hearing of CDT HGF?

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 00:08   #18
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Jules,

I think we've established that there is no sensor. Let's take it that there was a small glitch that arose from going over the bump I described in my opening post. I get the impression that there's abit of one upmanship going on here and we can't have that as we are meant to be helping each other not raising controversy.
Agreed on that Denis!
There's no upmanship or paranoia on my part.
I raised this subject 2 years ago out of interest not worry!!!
But the reasons TSautos gives for the very rare warnings don't apply in our cases.
ie
No fuses or retrofits have been carried out on our cars so like you say it's down to a glitch/gremlin whatever you want to call it.
Nuff said

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 14:40   #19
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Quote:
This afternoon I was out for a spin on the M20 and went over a bump in the road (actually a bridge expansion joint) and momentarily at exactly that moment the low coolant warning came up on the dash and lasted about a second then extinguished.
On checking the coolant level later there is no problem but I wondered what might have caused the warning to comeup. I put it down to a relay contact bounce or similar. The other point is that on checking the Haynes circuit diagrams I can't find any indication of a low coolant sensor.
Can anybody throw light on this and if so where is the sensor???

I see Jules did a thread on this on the 12th December 2009. It would appear there is no sensor, which is curious considering this afternoons experience!!!

On very early cars fitted with the BLACK header tank and the non-message centre instrument pack, there is both a warning light in the dash, and the electrical connection under the bonnet to accept a low coolant level sensor. A BMW E46 coolant level sensor will even plug into the socket on the underside of the coolant header tank. If you bridge the connections on the underbonnet socket, you can get the dash warning light to illuminate.

This applies to petrol cars , not just the diesel variants.

The only thing missing is the float sensor in the header tank, which Rover did not put in. So even if you buy the BMW sensor, there's nothing for it to sense . Fancy going to all that trouble and leaving out a threepenny float?? We could all have been protected from low coolant if they'd done it.

Any later cars with the yellowish header tank don't have the socket in the base.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:19   #20
denis
Gets stuck in

Well there you go - done and dusted.